Ideas for breaker box cover? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Florida
Posts: 35
Ideas for breaker box cover?

We have a new/used 2007 13ft Scamp and have been cleaning her up for a few weeks now. The breaker box under the driver side dinette seat is missing the cover. I've called Scamp no help in locating one and put an ad on this forums parts wanted spot, 72 views but I guess nobody has one. We have a little furbaby (Maggie) that can't keep her nose out of anything. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to locate a cover or any ideas on how to make one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! I have a picture of the box but I don't know how to put it on here?
__________________

__________________
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Florida
Posts: 35
Breaker box picture

OH! Maybe this will let me put a picture of the breaker box?[ATTACH]54768[/ATTAC
Attached Thumbnails
100_1732.jpg  
__________________

__________________
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Florida
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamprookie View Post
OH! Maybe this will let me put a picture of the breaker box?[ATTACH]54768[/ATTAC
Yeah it worked!
__________________
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 1,724
Registry
Scamprookie, would something like I put in our Scamp work? Just added small wooden doors from a neighbor's kitchen cabinet renovation.
__________________
David B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Florida
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Scamprookie, would something like I put in our Scamp work? Just added small wooden doors from a neighbor's kitchen cabinet renovation.
I'm still not sure how to use this forum stuff. I quick replied to you but seems it doesn't show up. Any way thanks for the suggestion, I'll check in the am, I think it's pretty small maybe 12"x8". Maybe that would work. I also think the breaker switches stick out a little. Thanks for the help!
__________________
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: mike
Trailer: 1988 columbus coach van companion liberty
Missouri
Posts: 11
Registry
convertor cover

you might try to google wfco or centurion convertors they both have that appearance and have a plastic face cover that gets broken easily
if it is a centurion they are out of business but wfco is still current so should be able to replace it
__________________
m and m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
WildBirder's Avatar
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Posts: 530
Registry
A quick neat looking fix is a spring loaded access panel. Lowes/Home Depot. It lays flat and thin on the exterior with a spring latch inside that allows you to slide the panel off.
__________________
Mark
1969 Boler
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Florida
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by m and m View Post
you might try to google wfco or centurion convertors they both have that appearance and have a plastic face cover that gets broken easily
if it is a centurion they are out of business but wfco is still current so should be able to replace it
Thanks! I'll look and see what type I have.
__________________
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Florida
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
A quick neat looking fix is a spring loaded access panel. Lowes/Home Depot. It lays flat and thin on the exterior with a spring latch inside that allows you to slide the panel off.
Thanks alot! sounds like a good idea. Probably cheaper than original cover and if the original ones break easily probably would last better too!
__________________
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,064
How about an old plastic container lid and some Velcro tape? Most hardware stores sell the tape. Raz
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
How about an old plastic container lid and some Velcro tape? Most hardware stores sell the tape. Raz
I like the Velcro idea. You could also use a piece of plastic paneling like they sell for bathrooms.

4 ft. x 8 ft. Gray .090 in. Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panel-665041 at The Home Depot
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: mike
Trailer: 1988 columbus coach van companion liberty
Missouri
Posts: 11
Registry
john

the ideas about just covering up the unit is not good
the only thing that holds the 110v breakers in place is the face you are missing,
loose breakers will cause heat and could cause a fire also the original face vents the heat and cooling fan for the convertor if just covered the convertor will over heat and could damage the electronics. it needs to be replaced with the correct cover

look at bestconvertor.com under cs3000 main board shows a pic of your convertor
maybe they would have a cover? or by knowing the brand and model be able to find a cover at an rv dealer these are being replaced daily at shops because of main board failures

mike
__________________
m and m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,738
The factory cover (Dead Front) for a load center or a panel board is designed to contain the electrical arc if a fault occurs in the breaker panel and of sufficient mechanical strength for the purpose . . The cover must be mounted securely to the breaker panel box to make sure it stays in place during a fault usually with screws . Metal or flame resistant plastic or resin board (Non combustible - flame retardent)) is normally used for the panel cover to contain the arc and stop objects or people from getting burned .If you have ever seen a large electrical arc fault occur it is not a pretty site
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,738
FPE Breakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by m and m View Post
john

the ideas about just covering up the unit is not good
the only thing that holds the 110v breakers in place is the face you are missing,
loose breakers will cause heat and could cause a fire also the original face vents the heat and cooling fan for the convertor if just covered the convertor will over heat and could damage the electronics. it needs to be replaced with the correct cover

look at bestconvertor.com under cs3000 main board shows a pic of your convertor
maybe they would have a cover? or by knowing the brand and model be able to find a cover at an rv dealer these are being replaced daily at shops because of main board failures

mike
The only panel I know of that used the cover to hold in the breakers was
FPE Stablok . FPE went bankrupt because they lost their UL listing and could not be sold in the USA almost 20 years ago . The UL does not allow the panel cover to hold the breakers in position to maintain contact . I changed out about 20 FPE panels in a hospital due to that every time you took off a panel cover breakers fell out of the panel endangering patients lives . The other problem with FPE was that the breakers failed to trip under fault at the proper current level
__________________

__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: breaker box cover scamprookie Parts: Buy | Sell | Trade 0 01-25-2013 05:56 PM
Wanted: UHaul Battery Box Cover? (CT or VT) djtriceflt Parts: Buy | Sell | Trade 16 06-22-2012 09:48 PM
Power Converter & Breaker Box $60 kentj Classified Archives 2 04-28-2008 11:51 PM
Exterior Storage box ideas Cam A Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 17 05-15-2006 06:41 AM
Tundra 04-05-06 Cover and Tool Box Terrance Classified Archives 0 12-07-2005 12:21 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.