Ideas for breaker box cover? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Michigan
Ideas for breaker box cover?

We have a new/used 2007 13ft Scamp and have been cleaning her up for a few weeks now. The breaker box under the driver side dinette seat is missing the cover. I've called Scamp no help in locating one and put an ad on this forums parts wanted spot, 72 views but I guess nobody has one. We have a little furbaby (Maggie) that can't keep her nose out of anything. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to locate a cover or any ideas on how to make one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! I have a picture of the box but I don't know how to put it on here?
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #2

Michigan
Breaker box picture

OH! Maybe this will let me put a picture of the breaker box?[ATTACH]54768[/ATTAC
Attached Thumbnails
100_1732.jpg  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #3

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamprookie View Post
OH! Maybe this will let me put a picture of the breaker box?[ATTACH]54768[/ATTAC
Yeah it worked!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Scamprookie, would something like I put in our Scamp work? Just added small wooden doors from a neighbor's kitchen cabinet renovation.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Scamprookie, would something like I put in our Scamp work? Just added small wooden doors from a neighbor's kitchen cabinet renovation.
I'm still not sure how to use this forum stuff. I quick replied to you but seems it doesn't show up. Any way thanks for the suggestion, I'll check in the am, I think it's pretty small maybe 12"x8". Maybe that would work. I also think the breaker switches stick out a little. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #6

Name: mike
Trailer: 1988 columbus coach van companion liberty
Missouri
Registry
convertor cover

you might try to google wfco or centurion convertors they both have that appearance and have a plastic face cover that gets broken easily
if it is a centurion they are out of business but wfco is still current so should be able to replace it
m and m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #7

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
A quick neat looking fix is a spring loaded access panel. Lowes/Home Depot. It lays flat and thin on the exterior with a spring latch inside that allows you to slide the panel off.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by m and m View Post
you might try to google wfco or centurion convertors they both have that appearance and have a plastic face cover that gets broken easily
if it is a centurion they are out of business but wfco is still current so should be able to replace it
Thanks! I'll look and see what type I have.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
A quick neat looking fix is a spring loaded access panel. Lowes/Home Depot. It lays flat and thin on the exterior with a spring latch inside that allows you to slide the panel off.
Thanks alot! sounds like a good idea. Probably cheaper than original cover and if the original ones break easily probably would last better too!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
How about an old plastic container lid and some Velcro tape? Most hardware stores sell the tape. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
How about an old plastic container lid and some Velcro tape? Most hardware stores sell the tape. Raz
I like the Velcro idea. You could also use a piece of plastic paneling like they sell for bathrooms.

4 ft. x 8 ft. Gray .090 in. Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panel-665041 at The Home Depot
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #12

Name: mike
Trailer: 1988 columbus coach van companion liberty
Missouri
Registry
john

the ideas about just covering up the unit is not good
the only thing that holds the 110v breakers in place is the face you are missing,
loose breakers will cause heat and could cause a fire also the original face vents the heat and cooling fan for the convertor if just covered the convertor will over heat and could damage the electronics. it needs to be replaced with the correct cover

look at bestconvertor.com under cs3000 main board shows a pic of your convertor
maybe they would have a cover? or by knowing the brand and model be able to find a cover at an rv dealer these are being replaced daily at shops because of main board failures

mike
m and m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The factory cover (Dead Front) for a load center or a panel board is designed to contain the electrical arc if a fault occurs in the breaker panel and of sufficient mechanical strength for the purpose . . The cover must be mounted securely to the breaker panel box to make sure it stays in place during a fault usually with screws . Metal or flame resistant plastic or resin board (Non combustible - flame retardent)) is normally used for the panel cover to contain the arc and stop objects or people from getting burned .If you have ever seen a large electrical arc fault occur it is not a pretty site
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
FPE Breakers

Quote:
john

the only thing that holds the 110v breakers in place is the face you are missing,
loose breakers will cause heat and could cause a fire also the original face vents the heat and cooling fan for the convertor if just covered the convertor will over heat and could damage the electronics. it needs to be replaced with the correct cover

look at bestconvertor.com under cs3000 main board shows a pic of your convertor
maybe they would have a cover? or by knowing the brand and model be able to find a cover at an rv dealer these are being replaced daily at shops because of main board failures

mike
The only panel I know of that used the cover to hold in the breakers was
FPE Stablok . FPE went bankrupt because they lost their UL listing and could not be sold in the USA almost 20 years ago . The UL does not allow the panel cover to hold the breakers in position to maintain contact . I changed out about 20 FPE panels in a hospital due to that every time you took off a panel cover breakers fell out of the panel endangering patients lives . The other problem with FPE was that the breakers failed to trip under fault at the proper current level
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Which ever cover you use, just make sure it is ventilated.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If it were my trailer and I couldnt find a cover I would remove the unit and put it back inside the cabinet with a home made spacer ring to set it back from the cabinet face to ckear the breaker swing. then I would go to the rv/hardware store and get a screened lovered vent in white and use self adheasive velcro tape to mount the lovered vent on the front side. But in the end is it worth the safety sake spend the 200 bucks or so and replace it? Best converter is a good vendor I bought my own complete load center from them, I would send them a picture and see if they can get a replacement cover for you, If not maybe they can identify who made it so at least you know what your shopping for.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #17

Michigan
Thanks so much for all of the ideas and useful information! The model is a Centurion which is no longer made. I called Scamp and they now use Progressive Dynamics XL3000 30amp for models with rooftop AC. I have contemplated replacing the whole thing but would rather spend the $$ someplace else if I can still use the one that's there. Becky is chomping at the bit to make the maiden voyage. Again thanks for the Help!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
john

Mike are you suggesting the cover holds the cooling fan? If so, that might be what the wire hanging down is for?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How about a DIY solution?

Perhaps a white cutting board from the Dollar store that you trim to fit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CuttingBoard.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	54852

Then purchase two flush mount soffit vents from a big box store like Lowes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	54853

Cut the hole(s) for the vents, screw them into the cutting board then velcro the new door to the cabinet face.

You could probably make the thing for about $20 and your time. And it would be white.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
John, were you ever able to source what you need? If not, it may be worthwhile to send an email to this guy: Parts Guy at DeckTek since I see Centurion products listed. Don't let the title of the page throw you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote