Ideas for mounting Roman Shades in 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #1

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: Scamp
Tennessee
Ideas for mounting Roman Shades in 13' Scamp

Hello fiberglass travelers, I sewed roman shades for our 13' scamp and would love your ideas on the following:

1) What is the best way to mount a small board to fasten the roman shades?

2) Would it work to laminate several boards so the wood would fit the curved Ensolite wall above window?

3) What is the best way to mount a board above window? From outside with pop rivets or screws or are there other less invasive ideas? Velcro is not strong enough.

4) Do you know someone who has done this successfully?

Best, Elizabeth
jessed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:45 PM   #2

Name: Brad
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessed1 View Post
Hello fiberglass travelers, I sewed roman shades for our 13' scamp and would love your ideas on the following:

2) Would it work to laminate several boards so the wood would fit the curved Ensolite wall above window?

3) What is the best way to mount a board above window? From outside with pop rivets or screws or are there other less invasive ideas? Velcro is not strong enough.

Best, Elizabeth
I can't answer your question, but I CAN tell you to be very careful about the mounting screws you choose to use. Whoever did the curtains in our Trillium used HUGE screws, which ended up rusting. (trailer may have been taking in water as well at the time) rust in all of the holes. Suggest smallest hardware possible, with some sort of sealant on the screws.
BraddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessed1 View Post

Best, Elizabeth
If it was mine I would take carefull measurement. I would use one long board above each window that the curtain will be attached to. That board would be screwed into 3 pieces of blocking. The blocking would be glued directly to the interior fiberglass skin using thickened epoxy. To get it to attach you will need to cut out the area of the wall covering where the blocking needs to be. The thickness of the blocking needs to be such that it just barely elevates the long board the curtains mount to so that it is not interfered with by the slight curve of the wall. You need enough surface area of the blocking so that it supports the weight of the curtains and the mounting board.

That long horizontal mounting board is just barely clearing the surface of the wall covering at its upper and lower edges with only a tiny gap. That will keep the blinds at just about the right distance from the window. Of course if you want a wider gap to bring the curtain further away from the window frame all you have to do is make the blocking pieces thicker.

When I was renovating my fiberglass trailer I put in blocking behind the wall using thickened epoxy so that I could attach window coverings into the blocking.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp