Ideas Wanted - New Propane Install - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #29

Name: B & N
Trailer: View
Michigan
Registry
Hi All -

Well, my 8012 arrived safe and sound from Panther RV - - total price including S&H with long vent kit and one side vent adapter ring and black grill - - $388.83. Is it ever well made - very solid - not tinny in any dimension. The 23# unit feels to be 40# with so much packed into such a small package. Before it is installed I plan to take a lot of close-up photos for later reference, seal any potential 'rattle/vibration points' with 500 stove RTV, then let it do a test burn in the garage to eliminate any initial burn smells and check for proper operation.

I also went to Menards yesterday, since they had 11% rebate on everything in the store - got my new 11# tall LP tank ($45) and a LP fuel gauge ($10) for the camper. Since it is cold and snowy in Michigan, it's nice to have a distraction like this to tinker with ;-)

Old 01-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #30

Name: Russ
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Robison View Post
Hi All -

Well, my 8012 arrived safe and sound from Panther RV - - total price including S&H with long vent kit and one side vent adapter ring and black grill - - $388.83. Is it ever well made - very solid - not tinny in any dimension. The 23# unit feels to be 40# with so much packed into such a small package. Before it is installed I plan to take a lot of close-up photos for later reference, seal any potential 'rattle/vibration points' with 500 stove RTV, then let it do a test burn in the garage to eliminate any initial burn smells and check for proper operation.

I also went to Menards yesterday, since they had 11% rebate on everything in the store - got my new 11# tall LP tank ($45) and a LP fuel gauge ($10) for the camper. Since it is cold and snowy in Michigan, it's nice to have a distraction like this to tinker with ;-)
See if any of this will help.

I just installed mine this two weeks ago. So it should be fresh material.

Use the same color wire for hook ups to keep bettr track.

1. Black to negative.
2. Red to positive.
3. White to Thermostat.
4. Red from Thermostat to tie in with Red Positive at furnace.

Read the names on the wires at the furnace. The instructions didn't really mention that the red wire from the thermostat was to connect with the red wire to the furnace's hot red wire. In other words keep all reds to reds white to white and black to black. Thats why you should use the same colors.

Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers :: View topic - Hey Russ How you doing?

Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #31

Michigan
Registry
Thanks Russ -

Nice of you to share that valuable information! I noticed the literature was a bit skimpy about thermostat connections...

I also enjoyed your photos - are we going to see how finally get it connected to the LP line? I'm still debating some about whether to use copper direct or to put in a quick disconnect and use hose?
Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #32

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks Russ -

Nice of you to share that valuable information! I noticed the literature was a bit skimpy about thermostat connections...

I also enjoyed your photos - are we going to see how finally get it connected to the LP line? I'm still debating some about whether to use copper direct or to put in a quick disconnect and use hose?
I used copper to the inside at the furnace to just about two feet from the propane tanks. Get a propane place. (not just a propane filling station but one who makes fittings.) to make the flared fittings Cost me $45.00 to make a six foot tube. I even put a shut off at the furnace. Another shut off (just because I had it) at the end where the rubber would connect. I then ran the copper straight threw the floor to the front brace keeping it as high as possible from dragging. (Dragging not a good thing. No!. Think about tall grasses) . The 3/8 rubber hose connect to the copper to the connection to the propane tanks.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #33

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks Russ -

By the way I got mine from Rich at the same place in Washington. Great guy to deal with.

Also use disconnects at the wire junctions - at the thermostat so if for some reason you need to remove it you won't destroy the wires and it looks good anyway.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #34

Pennsylvania
When I was putting mine together it was cold and getting colder. I was at the point of no return when I completed the install minus the wiring. ( I had no blue flame heater as I disconnected it for the hose. I had all the wires installed and didn't know where to put the red wire from the thermostat. I sat there for two hours looking at leaks shut off valves and just about anything. Even changed the tank to a full one. Then at a last desperate act, I read the schematics and saw a black dot at a junction with the red wires. That's when I took the chance and touched the still bare wires at the red connection on the positive red wire leading to the furnace from the battery. The thing went right on and I knew I was good to go. That is one of those things that will stay on my mind forever. Boy was I getting cold. By the way I live in my trailer. I needed that furnace.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #35

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Atwood 8012

Russell,

How about an update on how your new heater performed this winter.

Ron
Old 02-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #36

Pennsylvania
The furnace does real well even in temps at 02 degrees at night. I usually shut the furnace off in temps at 29-up However the 17,000 uses a one 20lb tank at temps in the teens. So it usually cost me $15.75 for a 20 lb which gets used up in three days. The battery is usually charged up while I use the 2000 gen which I have on anyway as I use it for the fridge and back screen on the lap top. but suspect it would go to the safety mark with in two days.

Still when you consider that with the old blue flame heater I was originally using that put gallons of moisture into the side walls that the new furnace is dry air and uses more propane so I think I really happy with the Atwood.

How are you doing with your install. Or are you on hold?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell A View Post
How are you doing with your install. Or are you on hold?
Everything is on hold up here. We had two days above freezing last week and some of the snow went away, but the EggCamper is still buried. It will have to wait till the snow is gone.

I'm glad to hear that the furnace is working out well. For my use, I doubt that I'll be using it at temperatures in the single digits, so occasional use will probably stretch out the propane consumption.

Ron
Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #38

Michigan
Registry
About the same here in Michigan - all our knee-deep snow melted last week during a 'spring thaw' - then Sunday and Monday we got socked in with another 12"-14" of fresh snow cover. Temp is 10 F with -4 windchill this am - not a good time to install my new furnace either. I began thinking seriously of getting the EggCamper out of storage while we we able to see the grass last week - but alas, it is Michigan after all.

The heavy snow allows for lots of computer-time travel and research ;-)
Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #39

Registry
Quote:
About the same here in Michigan - all our knee-deep snow melted last week during a 'spring thaw' - then Sunday and Monday we got socked in with another 12"-14" of fresh snow cover. Temp is 10 F with -4 windchill this am - not a good time to install my new furnace either. I began thinking seriously of getting the EggCamper out of storage while we we able to see the grass last week - but alas, it is Michigan after all.

The heavy snow allows for lots of computer-time travel and research ;-)
I'm worried that the warmer temperatures last week were our normal January thaw, arriving late. I hope that doesn't mean that spring will come just as late.

Snowed in gives me time to think about what I'd like to do/change this year in the egg. One thing that I'd like to refine is the under-bed storage that I cobbled together. Right now, it consists of two pull-out drawers. Each one is set up to hold one large and one small plastic tub. The base is supported on small wheels that I purchased from Rockler. I'm thinking that I'd like to change that to some type of drawer slide attached to the sides, and add a more substantial locking mechanism. (Occasionally when traveling, one (or both) drawers will slip it's mooring and roll toward the front of the trailer. No damage, just annoying.)

Ron
Old 02-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
In my 16' Scamp I was able to put a removable barrier across in front of the tubs under the bed.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
I'm worried that the warmer temperatures last week were our normal January thaw, arriving late. I hope that doesn't mean that spring will come just as late.

Snowed in gives me time to think about what I'd like to do/change this year in the egg. One thing that I'd like to refine is the under-bed storage that I cobbled together. Right now, it consists of two pull-out drawers. Each one is set up to hold one large and one small plastic tub. The base is supported on small wheels that I purchased from Rockler. I'm thinking that I'd like to change that to some type of drawer slide attached to the sides, and add a more substantial locking mechanism. (Occasionally when traveling, one (or both) drawers will slip it's mooring and roll toward the front of the trailer. No damage, just annoying.)

Ron
Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #41

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
In my 16' Scamp I was able to put a removable barrier across in front of the tubs under the bed.

Bill K
I do the same. I use one of those expandable closet poles and wedge it across the front of the drawers. It works fine for most trips. The problem usually occurs within 4 or 5 miles from my home, while traversing potholes and frost heaves in the spring. Right now the roads are particularly bad. I spotted a couple of VWs in one pothole the other day. I'm waiting for one more to level it up before I go that way again .
Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #42

Pennsylvania
Ron !

Did you get that furnace installed yet? Mine has been great and npw that our temps are in the 40's I am not using the furnace much. I always have the gen running to keep the laptop running and the electric mattress pad keeps me warm at the same time. Furnace is used only for the nights now.