Ideas Wanted - New Propane Install - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #1

Name: B & N
Trailer: View
Michigan
Registry
Ideas Wanted - New Propane Install

After traveling nearly 10,000 miles in our egg this past year, we realize that having a propane furnace would be a great idea for us. We have a 2008 EggCamper, which is all electric - the 1000 watt heater works nicely, but we like to visit national parks (no electric) and they do not allow generator use at night. We have several adventures in mind such as Alaska, Nova Scotia, and northern Canada - so need to do something.

The Wave has been considered, but have concerns about smell and combustion by-products - after much research, have decided on the Atwood 8012 II because of its small size and it only draws 1.8 amps. Our egg's pod is only 96 sq ft so the 12,000 BTU input / 9,000 BTU output should be more than adequate to keep us warm.

I'm sure many forum members have modified and/or installed new propane - so figured why not draw on your vast body of experience? I have a tongue box , which holds our Honda EU2000i generator and a 20# LP tank. I am all for simplicity - so it doesn't have to be piped direct from the tongue box to the furnace, although I may do that in the end. I would be happy to just use a rubber LP line with a regulator and LP 'quick connect'. On reason I'm considering the flex hose is our grey tank is immediately below where the furnace will be located - so I was thinking ...what if I install a small outside hatch for 'connect access' and hose storage? I could set the tank at the rear bumper whenever we require heat.

I would really like to hear(and see photos) of how each of you have solved a similar problem. I am open to ideas about connections, furnaces and install suggestions - anything is acceptable feedback and will be taken into consideration.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know some of you will worry about me installing propane. I have extensive experience with electrical, plumbing and building and/or repairing just about anything. I plan to do appropriate joint leak testing and will install a certified LP alarm from Atwood. I will not hold anyone liable for offering suggestions - - I'm just looking for ideas which either support what I am thinking or help me think 'outside my box'.

Look forward to hearing from lots of you! Orlen Wolf should be of help, since he worked from scratch installing most items in his EggCamper - hope to hear from him.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:36 AM   #2

Name: Dave & Elinor
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Registry
Hi

You could try to get one of these Seems like it would work

Dave

Yahoo! Canada Image Detail for http://www.shopfnc.com/gasheater/images/mh9b.jpg

There is a link at this web site for a bigger heater too

Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #3

Michigan
Registry
Buddy Heater

Thanks for your help Dave! Lots of people use them and like them - we do lots of high elevation camping and this is not made to use above 7000'.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Storey View Post
Hi

You could try to get one of these Seems like it would work

Dave

Yahoo! Canada Image Detail for http://www.shopfnc.com/gasheater/images/mh9b.jpg

There is a link at this web site for a bigger heater too
Old 11-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #4

Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
Hi Bill

I'll try to get some pictures of my LP installation. It uses a Cu line run along the outside of the frame on the starboard side from the front to a point just forward of the axle, then through the floor to the furnace (and the rest of the LP appliances). The regulator and tanks are interconnected connected via a flexible line to the Cu line. I constructed a floating saddle assembly to hold the propane tanks inside of the tongue so I didn't have to weld to the frame.

BTW - I've been living in the EggCamper full time since the end of July. Leaving Illinois tomorrow for Colorado towing the camper. Will be heading for Arizona in about a week for Thanksgiving with my son's family.

Orlen
Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #5

Michigan
Registry
Thanks to Orlen and others who have sent me tips and suggestions!

I have attempted to contact Berkon by email and phone 4 times on different days - today the website appeared to 'dead' - I'm sorry to say I think he went out of business. Yes, he was the least expensive at $360 and FREE shipping for the new Atwood 8012 II - darn! Let me know if anyone has a lead on a NEW or USED one in great condition. eBay 8012 II is selling for $400 with S/H as a best price - I would like to beat that if possible.

BTW - I found what I thought was a super buy on Craig's List - HydroFlame HF8012 for $145 (NOT the same as the above furnace - but an older cousin). Then I called the Atwood tech dept - they said stay away from the 'older' (1990s) pilot model, since they are not able to get any parts? Anyone have feedback for me? Seems like a pilot furnace should be reliable enough (heck, that's what we used for many years before electronic ignition) - it won't get used that often. If anyone on the board has personal experience with that model - good or bad I would sure like to hear back from you...
Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Bill
You mentioned the Wave catalytic heater..... I have one and there is no smell or by products with mine BUT I WOULD NOT USE IT FOR SLEEPING. Can't beat it or the mr buddy type heaters for day use to save on battery. I like the wave because it is silent and does a really good job and i run a rubber hose from the tank outside in thru the bottom of the entry door.....
I crack a bathroom window and a roof vent and have no moisture problem
Old 12-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #7

Michigan
Registry
Thanks Joe -

We would like to have heat while sleeping, since we like to do lots of higher elevation, mountain and far-north camping. We have pretty much settled on an small, efficient furnace for those reasons. Just try to be frugal in the process - we are patient - I think something will come available, if we wait long enough.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #8

New River AZ
I agree with you..... I have the furnace and wouldn't be without it but do use the wave in the daytime cause it's really quiet and warm in there and i got a really good deal on it that i couldn't pass up.
Joe
Old 12-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Bill, I'm planning on a Wave installation in the spring on my Egg for daytime heat and using 12v blanket at night. Some only draw 2 amps so for a 6 hour use I can recharge next day and recoup the 12 a/h lost.
Ps. Can you make the rally in Pocono's in July? I know you said June was not good but hopefully July is better.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #10

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
How about a heater that is not hard lined? I just bought a Big Buddy Mr. Heater, runs off of two of the 1 lb bottles or can be hard lined to propane via an optional hose with low pressure regulator. The heater was re-conditioned and purchased from Cabelas website for $79.99. It works great and has low and high settings.

Nevermind, I saw the second post and yes this one (big buddy) is sub-7000ft too.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #11

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Bill,
I would love to see how this project comes to fruition. I've been thinking of the same furnace for my EggCamper. Here in NH, none of the federal/state campgrounds have electric.

I had already moved the electric heater down to floor-level so that I could add a couple of drawers in the space where the electric heater was originally installed. My thoughts are to add a small (perhaps 5#) propane tank on the tongue. It looks like the Atwood 8012 would be almost a perfect fit in the spot now occupied by the electric heater.

It would also be great to see photos of your project.

Ron
Old 12-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #12

New River AZ
Bill.....
I don't know much about furnaces or their pricing but i know this website at the following link is a good company to deal with as i have purchased from them before but the furnace that they have for sale on that site claims to use only 1.8 amps which is definately good so i just wanted to show you this just in case it interests you.
I just read some of the past posts and i see you already mentioned this furnace
Joe

Atwood Everest Star 8012 II Furnace, 12,000 BTUs - $438.99
Old 12-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #13

Michigan
Registry
Thanks Orlen, Ron, Eddie and Joe -

I appreciate your interest and help! I have also received many PM giving advice.

I will definitely keep you posted on progress along the way. Some info I have picked up has been quite helpful - so I'll pass it on...

Initially, I had planned on buying the Atwood 8012 II from Berkon in Minnesota - he sold the furnace for only $360 - but appears he recently went out of business? The next good lead was Scamp site sells a 16K Suburban with the thermostat for $365 + S/H = $385. Then Eddie pointed me to Eastern Marine who sells the Atwood 8012 II for $399 + $19 S/H to Michigan. I got a bunch of help from Orlen - who has installed a Suburban from his old Rockwood popup - I think it is a 19K. Upon discussion he agrees that he would install a smaller one next time in his EggCamper.

So in summary to date, the Atwood 8012 II has the right output at 12,000 (9,000 BTU), which is equal to about three times the output of the EggCamper's electric factory heater of about 1,000w (1,000w = +/- 3,000 BTU). It also has the lowest amp draw at only 1.8 amps compared to 2.8 amps with the Suburban 16K that Scamp offers.

I will keep an open mind until I order a furnace, but for now I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the best buy on the 8012 II. I'll see if I can find a price that beats $399 - and maybe someone has a 'new' one they took out of their camper because they wanted something larger??

Anyone know what is happening with Berkon Industries? I have emailed and called twice - no response. He had great prices on vent kits - LP detectors - Tstat - etc.

Keep 'er coming - I can take it ;-)

Bill
Old 12-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #14

Michigan
Registry
Ron -

I remember seeing your drawer mod - nice idea! Yes, the 8012 furnace should be a near-perfect fit for the heater opening - that's one more small advantage over the Suburban, which is 9.5" square vs the rectangle.

I put a Contico box on the tongue of our EggCamper - fits perfectly! It holds the Honda 2000i generator,crank, cord, funnel, etc and still has JUST enough room for a 20# LP tank. I cut out some 'webbing support' on the underside of the lid so it slips over the top of the 20# and 'locks' it in place.
I noticed that Menards (like Lowes) has a 'tall' 11# tank that is much smaller than a 20# in width and height - only $45. I'm toying with getting one if the 20# proves to be too tight of a fit, but would like to see how much fuel we would use before making changes.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
I had already moved the electric heater down to floor-level so that I could add a couple of drawers in the space where the electric heater was originally installed. My thoughts are to add a small (perhaps 5#) propane tank on the tongue. It looks like the Atwood 8012 would be almost a perfect fit in the spot now occupied by the electric heater.