identifying my camper - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #43

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Considering the rough shape it is entirely possible that the upper cabinet support was removed. Or even popped loose and was just not put back on.

Maybe someone with a model similar to yours can post a picture showing support as a guide where to look on yours for rivet or screw holes left over from original manufacture.

I think consensus is not scamp but those would have rivet holes on the left end of the bottom cabinets, and holes in the bottom of the left end of the upper cabinet. I would guess that someone can show where the rivet/screws would have been on a casita.

I think you would really want to get something in place to support the roof. Gravity just like rust, never sleeps.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #44

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Regarding Scamp and Casita...

When the Boler company in Canada folded, two different people started companies to produce a similar design in the US. Scamp got the molds.
That is not quite what happened, check this thread out for a better concensus of the details.
Egg History- Boler descendants

Old 07-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #45

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Thanks, Roy… interesting thread, but I got a bit lost along the way. Knew there was a reason I majored in math and not history! I appreciate people like you who can keep the facts straight for the rest of us.

Bottom line, I guess, is that they (Scamp & Casita) look a lot alike because they share a common heritage and design concept from Boler of Canada, but have long since separated and undergone an independent evolution in details.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #46

Ontario
You are welcome Jon.
The thread is a bit confusing on first read. Some of it is fiction, some fact. It takes a while to filter the fact from the fiction. Following the links to the facts helps put the pieces together.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #47

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Its interesting that the body shell is backwards on the trailer. Or this is the super secret European model. This will make hook-ups to power and water a bit unusual at USA camp grounds. Looks like a front Bath Scamp shell turned around to me.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #48

Arizona
Registry
Not backward. What you're seeing in the first photo in the second set is the front tongue, which, for some reason, has been modified to curve upward. Other than that, and perhaps some of the windows, everything looks like stock Casita to me. Once I got past the…ahem… creative paint job.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #49

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Once I got past the…ahem… creative paint job.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You just happen to be the new beholder. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #50

Arizona
Registry
Not my trailer - I don't think I could have seen past the paint job. I have less imagination than most! For me, risk-taking is reduced to deciding between Turtle Wax or Zep!

I am grateful for people like OP Deanna who see possibilities in old trailers like this one and have the vision and energy to return them to beauty.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #51

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
There are two huge differences between the Scamp builds and the Casita builds from the beginning. Scamp has always used the three-bolt hinges (on the body) and Casita (in the early years) had a strange strap hinge (like a bent piano hinge) for the doors. PLUS, Scamp has ALWAYS tucked the wheel up inside the body and Casita has ALWAYS had open wheel wheels. That's a fact... JACK.

All you need to do is check the archives for pictures of the "early years."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #52

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There are two huge differences between the Scamp builds and the Casita builds from the beginning. Scamp has always used the three-bolt hinges (on the body) and Casita (in the early years) had a strange strap hinge (like a bent piano hinge) for the doors. PLUS, Scamp has ALWAYS tucked the wheel up inside the body and Casita has ALWAYS had open wheel wheels. That's a fact... JACK.

All you need to do is check the archives for pictures of the "early years."
As per usual Donna nails a solution on the head. Those posted pictures clearly show an open wheel well.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #53

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder! To each their own.

The 85 Casita I had for a few weeks didn't have a support wall!!!!!!!! Open unlike my current Casita that has the notorious Casita wall.

It's a Casita, wish I would have saved the pic's of the one I had. It's weird though that the interior carpet is brown and the closet carpet is blue! No one has that kind of time to change our sculpted carpet do they? Wonder if the original buyers changed their minds mid-build? Hmmmmmmm Interesting! I can't even remember if the 85 had carpet in the closet.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #54

Name: deanna
Trailer: wish I knew
Texas
Be nice lol. yes the paint job is hideous and so is the inside, but i didnt pay much for it and the body apprears to be sound. I have been lookning at pics till I am blind. The closest I can come is the 83 model, but there are a few differences, dont know if previous owners modified or what. It's hard to know what it is so i will just call her a "hybrid". The trailer tongue does angle up, but it looks as though someone put that on, the welds are good. As far as the carpet, it could have been blue to start with and someone decided to change it out. Idk? We are going to tackle it in a few weeks and i am sure we will have many questions. Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #55

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanner View Post
Be nice lol. yes the paint job is hideous and so is the inside, but i didnt pay much for it and the body apprears to be sound. I have been lookning at pics till I am blind. The closest I can come is the 83 model, but there are a few differences, dont know if previous owners modified or what. It's hard to know what it is so i will just call her a "hybrid". The trailer tongue does angle up, but it looks as though someone put that on, the welds are good. As far as the carpet, it could have been blue to start with and someone decided to change it out. Idk? We are going to tackle it in a few weeks and i am sure we will have many questions. Thanks
I know we have chased more than a few rabbits on this thread, but I think we did reach a consensus that this is a Casita. I'd label it as such, just to keep the data organized clearly for posterity. It's had more than a few mods, but that's not unusual in a 30-year-old trailer. Compared to Scamps, Trilliums, and Bolers, older Casita 13'ers seem to be relatively uncommon, so I am glad this one found someone willing to pour love and work into a thorough rehab. When the fun begins, open a new thread in the "Mods, Alterations, and Updates" sub-forum and keep us posted of your progress!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #56

Trailer: 2007 Casita
dnanner, is it a 13 or a 16? Cause it looks like a 16ft'er to me.....

Well it will be fun to watch your progress! So keep posting pic's!