If money no biggy, which FG trailer would you buy? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #61

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Donna, There is a few interesting things about the video you posted....I do like the idea of the rear deck, but its way too sleek looking for me. I like the "old school" european caravans....lots of wood inside, a little touch of the gypsy vardo but not.

Also it reminded me too much of being down below in one of those futuristic sterile boats.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #62

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Okay, I've thought about this some more. AND, if money was NO object.... I'd track down the Geographic owner in France, buy it and ship it back home for a refresh.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Georgraphic.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	67882

OR, I'd locate a Marrumba Star in Australia and have it shipped to the US with a total rebuild of the inside to suit my wants (which you notice is different than needs!)

Name:	MarrumbaStar-03.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	67883
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #63

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Crazy shapes Donna! You could create a mob scene everywhere you went.
I wonder how they get those out of the mold?
Notice the bow truss on the underside of the Aussie tongue to handle downward deflection.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #64

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
If money no biggy, which FG trailer would you buy?

21/22 footer: Oliver (seems to be ultimate in quality)
I was recently in Quartzsite, and toured the 2 Olivers on display. Larry Harmon is showing them in the Desert Gardens area, on the south side of I-10 (half way between Dome Rock and Tyson wells) near the foot bridge across the Interstate. He assured me that He'd be there for the http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-60413.html.

Name:	000_1606.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	67884 Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1607.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	67885
The one with the Black stripes is the Twin bed version with the solar option, and the one with the Red & Blue stripes is the King Bed version, displaying the U-shape dinette.

If money were no object I would buy a 22' Oliver King Bed version with every feature the factory has, and tow it with a Cadillac Escalade.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #65

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Frederick, those puppies are so sleeeeeek. What's not to love.

S.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #66

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Tada!!!! And the winner is....

Most of Escape owners answered "I will buy bigger Escape trailer". 90% of others answered "I will keep my current trailer".

Looks like a trend
Lovin' the one yer with...that's where it's at!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #67

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
I'd have to go with one that had a dealer most willing to work with my needs for a SOLO rig. I would NOT want a queen bed taking up a lot of space. I want a full time bed that fit ME. I'd want as much kitchen space as possible. Storage, Stretched frame to hold a rear platform and plenty of room on the front of the frame (enough room in front for a small motorcycle rack). Snaps around the bottom for a full skirt (assume some cold weather spots). Fully protected plumbing, awning that could handle some wind, one decent chair for reading. I'd want it big enough to fit me but not so big it encumbered me. I'd have it up on a frame tall enough to handle 16" wheels and 225/75/16 E rated all terrain tires. Prefer a torsion axle that give me as much clearance as possible. A good solar system with at least twoo batteries and maybe 4 if I was planning on a lot of boondocking. At least 40 gallon water tank and the biggest black tank that could fit the extended frame.. Frame beefy enough for semi serious off road duty. Tandem axles would work but I think I'd try for the strongest single axle system I could get.

I'd trade my 03 diesel truck in another one just like it in 4wd and have it rebuilt from stem to stern. Long range fuel tank, front/rear lockers, add Flip pack camper cover for days I want to get away and don't need to drag the trailer (after all I still use my camper van more than my casita). Trailer would really just be my base and I'd do a lot of one nighters in the truck/camper. etc.. etc...
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #68

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Lovin' the one yer with...that's where it's at!
Yup agree - I love my little trailer but it never hurts to admire others!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #69

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlon View Post
I'd have to go with one that had a dealer most willing to work with my needs for a SOLO rig. I would NOT want a queen bed taking up a lot of space. I want a full time bed that fit ME. I'd want as much kitchen space as possible. Storage, Stretched frame to hold a rear platform and plenty of room on the front of the frame (enough room in front for a small motorcycle rack). Snaps around the bottom for a full skirt (assume some cold weather spots). Fully protected plumbing, awning that could handle some wind, one decent chair for reading. I'd want it big enough to fit me but not so big it encumbered me. I'd have it up on a frame tall enough to handle 16" wheels and 225/75/16 E rated all terrain tires. Prefer a torsion axle that give me as much clearance as possible. A good solar system with at least twoo batteries and maybe 4 if I was planning on a lot of boondocking. At least 40 gallon water tank and the biggest black tank that could fit the extended frame.. Frame beefy enough for semi serious off road duty. Tandem axles would work but I think I'd try for the strongest single axle system I could get.
Other than the snaps, chair and the torsion axles this sounds almost exactly like our new Oliver 22 footer we should be taking delivery of in the next week or so. They even stretched the frame for me at both ends. Looks like our dream trailers were almost alike.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #70

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Just as a playful thought,
I'd buy two Lil Snoozy, find a stretch limo making
team and join the two together (back door to back door).

Of course that means I would lose the back door.
Would have to build in a side door for entry. I'd like to see if
the same front end and back end would affect the handling and mpg.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #71

NE Oklahoma
On second thought, that may look like the Oscar Meyer Wienie
Mobile.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #72

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlon View Post
As I said before, I'm perfectly happy with my Trillium, which is plenty big/versatile for our camping uses, often including the Grandchildren and whoever else wants to tag along.

BUT

Your post (especially where highlighted) reminded me of some idle thoughts I've had about an even "smaller" version of my existing setup, tailored specifically for my own selfish strictly-solo-camping trips.

I'm much attached to my tow vehicle- a first-gen Kia Sportage- and wouldn't want anything that would require me to move to a pickup. Trouble is, I also have a little Kawasaki 100 dual-sport motorcycle that I'd love to be able to bring along. Not possible with my present setup, and there's no room for expansion of the frame length in either direction. This especially given the constraints imposed by existing clearance, not to mention weight limits

Here's my fantasy setup for that solocamping purpose: A Trillium 1300 on a 4500 frame! (Or comparable).

All I need for "living space" could easily fit into the smallest trailer shell out there, and in my fantasy that would leave the rest of the frame with room/weight capacity available for the bike. Haven't gone very far with this fantasy- I know axle placement might be problematic given balance/wheel well considerations...

Which brings me to the second highlight above:
I've never really had any trouble with ground clearance- my rig is so narrow I usually deal with "high hump" FS roads by riding the shoulder/hump. But this is not a good approach for someone that may care about the "Sierra Pinstripes" that are the inevitable result of drivin' halfway in the bushes.

So if I was designing something with the best possible ground clearance, I'd put the Timbren axleless suspension on and get rid of the center shaft all together. Timbren link

As I said, this is strictly idle fantasizing...but now that I finally found the perfect boat for atop the Kia, it sure would be cool to complete-the-solo-camp with my on/off road motorcycle!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #73

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Two bedrooms and two baths - larger than my condo!
blodn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #74
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Generally speaking a dual axle trailer is going to tow better than a single. Based on your criteria I'd be looking for a dual axle Bigfoot or equivalent. The Oliver's sit high on the axles. Not sure how well they tow.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #75

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
If money was no object, I think I would move up to the new quad Escape 32' coming out in 2015.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #76

NE Oklahoma
Now there is my tempting stretch limo trailer............
But I'd have to see the floor plan.
I could have my bed/bath and nice office.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #77

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
If money was no object, I think I would move up to the new quad Escape 32' coming out in 2015.
Awe-some!!!!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #78

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would go for a Scamp 16 with good ground clearance, decent solar, AC and fantastic fan, full time mattress that was "just right" firmness. Side dinette would be nice with that. Bathroom is a depends on if Cheryl is standing close enough to hear when I make the wish Yes bath and shower. That would cover long stays in rustic locations with as much comfort as one could ask for.

As a second camper a Scamp 13 with a front dinette mod for short weekend trips. Oh wait I have a Scamp 13 and wasn't a front dinette on my tentative to-do list? Yes it was! Under the heading of "If I ever get ambitious".

The 13 ft. Scamp custom built for a rock climber was pretty cool, I could suffer with that one with Nooo trouble at all.

The 16 ft. with it's little more storage, little more floor space, little more kitchen, all in a package small enough to tow easy would be my winner, who wants to maintain multiple campers? Well besides those members that can't resist buying them to fix up if they mow the yard and find a vacant spot to put one.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #79

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

The 16 ft. with it's little more storage, little more floor space, little more kitchen,
Sorry to burst your dream bubble but if you go with the Scamp 16' side dinette you actually end up with less kitchen - maybe even less than your 13'!!! Which is exactly why my dream list includes an Escape with a better layout - dinette up front and not taking away from the kitchen area.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #80

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'd like a fifth wheel sort of, because I like the steps up to the bed, but really anything 15-17 feet would be nice. Or a fiberglass motorhome in pristine condition.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote