If this Scamps-a-rockin - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #1

Name: mo
Trailer: scamp
California
If this Scamps-a-rockin

Hey serious though pretty embarrassing question. I just got a scamp and I love it, one problem, when my wife and I are "intimate" the lightweight nature of the trailer is such that the rocking is very noticeable to people camping nearby. Is there any hope of stopping this or is it just one of the issues of a lightweight camper?
thanks!
mokash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Now that's a question I haven't heard on this forum. But the standard way to reduce 'bounce' is to put stabilizer jacks under the frame at each corner. Don't lift the wheels off the ground, just tighten the jacks so the suspension won't bounce. Maybe also some memory foam on the bed, which has a deadening effect on (ahem) movement.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Also add a sign. "WHEN THE TRAILER'S A ROCKIN DON'T COME A KNOCKIN!"
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Practice?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mo, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here. You've started with a bang! Yeah, stablizers on each corner will stop that rockin'
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Many (perhaps most) travel trailers rock considerably even just when walking around inside. Stabilizer jacks are definitely the answer. My stick trailer came with them on both sides near the rear bumper, and with the main front jack also down my trailer is quite still.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #7

Name: mo
Trailer: scamp
California
In retrospect i could have just asked " How do i stop the scamp from rocking" but I guess this is more fun...
mokash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
Bahahaha! I bet there's barely a person on here who hasn't wondered the same at some point. :-)
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
...and by the way, Mo, that memory foam makes a very comfortable place to SLEEP (if the mood strikes you, what can I say, I'm crazy that way).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
MFF

Name: Marie-France ;)
Trailer: Boler-1300 1979
Quebec
Registry
Hi !
I've heard that when it is cold, the memory foam becomes hard like a stone.
Now here it is 41 F...and we are planning a few camping weekend .
Have you noticed that?
MFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Without rear stabilizers you could have a most uplifting experience. And I promise your neighbors will notice. . Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Try tantric
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #13

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
One note about using your stabilizers.... if you happen to be camping on a concrete pad, or even larger rocks -- the stabilizers can cause quite the scraping noise against the ground when you're "walking" inside. Lets just say your rockin' will amplified. Use some scrap wood (1x6, etc) to act as a pad on the concrete/rock, then tighten everything up.

Also, yes, FIRM memory foam can be hard as a rock in the cold. We had to send a mattress back because it would take our body heat a good 15 mins to soften the mattress, then you didn't want to turn over so you didn't start that process over --- turns out the wrong model had been delivered! Good thing because for a couple weeks, it was like sleeping on the floor. Our current foam is firmer when cold, but great after about 60 seconds. SO, check the firm/soft factor for cold weather camping! Of course, this would also impact the original question
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #14

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Also Mo, did you create a new user ID to ask that question?! Well done, if you did
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #15

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Personally, I'd recommend a 400 kg depleted uranium flywheel coupled with a multi-axis dynamically balanced gyroscope controlled with a hardened-enclosure multi-axis accelerometer. In conjunction with a computer-assisted shifting weight system, this simple trailer modification should prevent any exterior exhibitions of inner-trailer stability-disruptive activities. Note that after installation this trailer would be limited to operation within the continental United States under DOD Critical Technology Ruling 2010-299/72 (as revised).
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
One note about using your stabilizers.... if you happen to be camping on a concrete pad, or even larger rocks -- the stabilizers can cause quite the scraping noise against the ground when you're "walking" inside. Lets just say your rockin' will amplified. Use some scrap wood (1x6, etc) to act as a pad on the concrete/rock, then tighten everything up.
Word of caution in regards to using wood to block up a trailer. When wood gets wet it is very slippery! I used wood for a long time until one day my trailer take a short trip down hill (about 4') when someone pushed off a little to hard while stepping out of the trailer and the stabilizers slipped off the wood. The trailer actually did a little spin sideways, away for the wheel chocks as well, so they didnt do much to stop it.

A good reason to have a box of Plastic Leveling Blocks on hand - they work really well under stablizers, not just wheels. I also now use a tongue wheel chock as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #17

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I just picked up a set of those blocks these weekend... works like a champ!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #18

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We use Wayne's RV Stabilizers for all 4 corners of our VT to keep it very steady. I also add an occasional scissor jack if the ground is uneven. My wife does not like a trailer that moves when she walks (or anything else), so I probably over-stabilize it. Thanks for asking "The Question that Shall Not be Asked!"
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #19

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
What about when boondocking in a parking lot? Do people use stabilizer jacks then? I don't. So if you are overnighting at walmart its probably best to pretend you have kids sleeping nearby.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #20

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
actually,,,,on reflection,,,, you know those chunks of tire on the highways that resemble an alligator crossing the road? a hunk of one of those under each,,,well,,,uh,,,love support, would help over come a lot of problems.