If you see our stolen casita, please call the police - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #15

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
Sadly some trailers are stolen and kept for personal use on private property or in the boonies. Others are used for "meth"labs...depending on the area.

It sure wouldn't hurt to etch some type of identifiable marking in a discreet place.

It would be hard to sell w/o title.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
RE: VIN.... But still, if someone sees what they "Think" is the stolen Casita, they will need the VIN number that was reported stolen before any local P.D. will take an interest. I wouldn't count on a department in New Jersey, Montana, Ohio or any other state to take an interest without finding it in the national stolen vehicles registry first. And calling the Carrollton, TX P.D. with a report number, feget it.

A less then honest buyer could buy it cheap and hang a plate off of another trailer on it and never register it. In CA, if it's a 13', one could get a permanent plate off of a $150 water damaged tent trailer for that matter. $10 every 5 years and who would ever know?????

But, because of a VIN, a VW Beetle that was stolen 35 years ago was recently recovered, but now they can't find the original owner.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
But with cars....vin # are all over the place...some not made public. Hopefully Casita does that too. It actually looks like the number is handwritten in the pic! Yikes!!!
Yes its true regarding cars but the pros know how to deal with it and the average buyer more often than not only look at the plate on the front dash & discover they have a problem only when they go to register the car.

With most trailers besides a plate such as what Casita has the only other place you may find the VIN permanently engraved on the trailer is on the tongue - but again if one has stamps they could easily change a letter or number. Heck one or two people here have done that themselves in an attempt to get their new to them trailers registered when the sellers paper work doesnt match up or is missing the VIN from the tongue! Or a thief could simple hide the tongue VIN by putting layers of paint over it so its not readable... we have had lots of folks here ask here to find the VIN on their trailers in order to register it AFTER they have made the purchase and towed the trailer home
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #18

California
It's not easy to just "change" a 17 digit VIN number. There is actually an imbedded "check-Sum" code in the number that is used to prove that all of the others belong together. Here's an explanation:
Vehicle identification number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go here and enter your vehicles VIN, it's free, then go back and change any one number or letter in the string. There is better than a 90% chance that it will come up as invalid.
AutoCheck Vehicle History Reports Homepage - A Part of Experian.

On older trailers you can get away with inventing mfgs. serial numbers, but faking a 17 digit VIN is a lot more difficult. It's easier to get fake paperwork, sell it on the street, and disappear. That's all to common with many Craigslist ads for popular vehicles and trailers.

BTW: I talked with the guy in L.A., who was at the Palm Springs vintage trailer show two weeks ago, he never recovered either of his Eggs that were stolen.

I do hope that the OP had theft insurance on their Casita. Most storage lots either charge extra for insurance or have you sign a waiver.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #19

Name: David & Sandy
Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Texas
Sorry for you loss Ashley. It's going to be hard to spot in Texas where Casitas rule. Keep your eye open in Craig's list and other listings for Casita parts and used Casitas. Who said crooks are smart. You just never know when it might turn up somewhere. Texas is kinda loose with vehicle registrations in some counties.
Never let your guard down thinking a thief won't take your trailer, boat, or vehicle from your house, workplace, secured storage, or a campground. At least make it difficult with good hitch locks, chains through the axles, or alarm systems. I knew someone who applied numbers on the roof of their RV that could be spotted from the air.

"I haven't traveled everywhere...but it's surely on my bucket list."
David Clinkenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It's not easy to just "change" a 17 digit VIN number. There is actually an imbedded "check-Sum" code in the number that is used to prove that all of the others belong together. Here's an explanation:
Vehicle identification number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your assuming Bob that most buyers will check the vin to see if the Check Sum code adds up?

As I mentioned by the number of times people post here asking where they can even find the VIN on their new to them trailer I am going to suggests its the rare buyer that will

By the time the new owner of the trailer figures out that they have purchased a trailer with a forged VIN on it you can be sure the phone number & email of the seller is no longer in service and the party who's house they sold it out of will say they were just a casual friend who's last name they don't even known and that they left and they don't have a contact info for them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #21

Name: gisela
Trailer: currently shopping for a casita 17' deluxe any year
Florida
wow! that is sickening and from a place where you'd think was safe!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Major Bummer!

Hope it does turn up, possibly someone will attempt to title it after purchase and sec. of state will find the vin as stolen.

One tip I got years ago was to engrave drivers license # in an out of the way location, and even hide business card or name and address someplace. If someone changes the vin or even strips it for parts there is still some proof that you are the owner. Car chop shop got busted due to a business card dropped into each door.

The guy that owns Happier Camper out in Calif. had a Boler stolen and they thought his business made the camper so they called him to find out what it was worth. Even with the callers phone number (a cell phone) they could not locate the caller.

I'll certainly be on the lookout for a Casita with white paint repair under the door handle. Would be more than happy to help Karma along with any trailer thief.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #23

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
It could show up anywhere in the country for sale. If they are dumb enough to put it on CraigsList here is where you can do a search for "Casita" through out all CraigsLists in the US

All of Craigslist

Unlikely they could sell it without the title though. Maybe they are (or used to be) homeless.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #24

California
As I mentioned earlier, as of last week Happier Camper has not recovered either of the two Eggs that were stolen.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #25

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Just a thought,because I don't know how Craigslist or any sight like that work,but could someone list a camper on there as stolen? Just thinking it might be worth a try.

Good Luck! Another camping sight that i am on,someone had their camper stolen and did get it back.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #26

Correction- repaint area is on the right of the door (see pic)

Correction- damage repaint area is on the right of the door instead of under the door handle (See photo: Casita 1-1).
We replaced all tires including spared tire and its cover. The cover now is all white without any words on it.

Some nice people relied me with good advises, so I am adding more photos.

Thank you, all.
Attached Thumbnails
Casita-1-1.jpg   Casita 2-1.jpg  

Casita 3-1.jpg   Casita 4-1.jpg  

Old 03-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #27

thank you for your advises. I added that info.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
This whole thing makes me ill. And there are parts of our country where you only need a bill of sale? I'm so glad Oregon requires a Title to transfer ownership and licensing.

Post this everywhere you can. Facebook... everywhere, let's get this trailer home.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita