IM 30 Fridge No Vent in Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
IM 30 Fridge No Vent in Bigfoot

I removed the vent from the outside of the fridge, the one on top of the main vent as I could smell propane even though it was checked over by the RV shop. I found that there is no vent going to the roof from the chimney, which I think is very unusual so fumes from the chimney only is vented through the opening which I removed. Is this usual for the Bigfoot 17 foot 1981? Thanks, Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I would think that no vent to the roof could present a carbon monoxide danger during propane operation.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
My Scamp doesnt have a fridge vent to the roof - just the one on the side of the trailer above the main fridge vent where the controls are. Is the area behind the fridge totally sealed off from the trailer? If not it should be. If it is you shouldn't smell anything. If it is sealed off is the flame on the propane burning clean?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

British Columbia
Thanks, Carol H for the reply. Yes, the area behind the fridge is totally sealed off, although the vent leading up from the propane flame gets a little hot and is hot also on the wood above where the vent ends. The flame seems to be burning clean. It must be safe, as it has been in the rig, since new, but I will definitely get a carbon monoxide detector as well as a propane detector. I have to search for some wires to hook up the detectors, and probably the easiest is at the rear on the water pump.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jim I would take it back to who every you had check it because I honestly dont think you should be smelling it at all. I use mine on propane a lot and dont smell anything although it may be 10 years newer than yours. If you can smell it I would be worried there is a leak in the propane piping or connections. its normal for the vent to get hot although mine has some sort of foil wrap around it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You can find a combination Fire / Carbon Monixide detector at Lowes / Home Depot that runs off an internal battery. The Propane detector gets hard wired to the 12VDC.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #7

British Columbia
I am still waiting for suggestions, but thanks for all who have responded. It seems that the Bigfoot did not vent thru the roof, so what I would like to do, is get a flexible tube, extend it somehow from the dischage from the propane vent, and then cut a hole in the large vent area, and then put the new vent through this. It would solve the heat build up and also the fumes. JMHO, but more suggestions are sure to come....such a great forum and thanks to everyone who has contributed. Jim
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #8

British Columbia
Thanks, DarinMaring for your suggestion. I will check out Home Depot in Canada to see if they have it. Jim
Old 09-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
The vents on the outside are for allowing air to flow over the cooling coils to aid in the cooling process of the refrigerator. That's why the vents generally end immediately above the cooling coils; on the side behind short refrigerators and on the top of tall refrigerators. The heat from the coils creates a convection process to draw the air up through the bottom over the coils and outside. If you put a vent too far away from the designed air flow you will defeat the purpose and cause a very inefficient airflow that will affect the ability of your fridge to work as designed. If the propane is being burned properly and you have no leaks you should not be smelling any propane. Go to a certified RV mechanic and have it checked. Your life is too important to mess around.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
The vents on the outside are for allowing air to flow over the cooling coils to aid in the cooling process of the refrigerator. That's why the vents generally end immediately above the cooling coils; on the side behind short refrigerators and on the top of tall refrigerators. The heat from the coils creates a convection process to draw the air up through the bottom over the coils and outside. If you put a vent too far away from the designed air flow you will defeat the purpose and cause a very inefficient airflow that will affect the ability of your fridge to work as designed. If the propane is being burned properly and you have no leaks you should not be smelling any propane. Go to a certified RV mechanic and have it checked. Your life is too important to mess around.
I agree, when you "jerry rig" a factory set up you are also placing you and others in possible harms way. The 2 side vents is an industry standard practice and works, if there is an issue figure the cause not treat the symptom.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #11

British Columbia
Thanks for the advice and I really did not understand the function of the vent until Steve Hammel posted the way it is supposed to operate.. Thanks so much, and will take the trailer back to the rv dealer to have it retested.

Tags
bigfoot, fridge