Import from Canada to the US ... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You'll find the same thing from DMV, individuals AND offices. The important thing is when you get the answers you like... document, document, document! The... who said what, when and where
Donna you are so right! Also make sure you write down what the reg number is that they are telling you about, that allows you to do what every it is you are wanting to do.

As has been suggested it is also really important when talking with people that they know you are talking about a travel trailer and not a motor home.

Re older Bigfoots - as company is still in biz it may be worth while callling them directly and asking if they can supply the info required for the US Safety sticker. They may still have records using the VIN - Scamp did it for me on a 16 year old trailer using only the VIN number so I do not doubt it possible for another company to do the same. When I talked with Scamp about importing the trailer to Canada they where very aware of what I needed and know what info and what the actual wording on what they gave me needed to say - I didnt need to tell them - they said they had lots of requests such as mine and produced a recall letter very quickly and provided me with all the info needed for the Canadian saftey sticker. Bigfoot has sold a lot of trailers over the years into the USA so I would think it very possible someone there knows what the issues are and what is needed in regards to a US Safety sticker & recall letter (if needed).

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #16

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Thanks for the detailed replies everyone.

I found a 1970's trillium 4500 here in Washington state for a fair price. So no importing needed.

Cheers --Fred

Old 11-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #17

Name: steve
Trailer: Shopping for dual axle Bigfoot
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Re older Bigfoots - as company is still in biz it may be worth while callling them directly and asking if they can supply the info required for the US Safety sticker.
I did call the new Bigfoot company they stated they could not provide such certification. My interpretation of what was said was: We do not want to do anything that would make us liable for the old company. Allow me to apologize in advance if my interpretation is in error. I do not think that it is. This means that if you buy an old Bigfoot, you are on your own. They were cooperative and seemed willing to help, but they were careful about what could be a legal line in the sand.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
UPDATE NEEDED...
Can anyone add anything to this thread as to what's happening with importing trailers into the U.S. from Canada ????
Some Outstanding Questions still include:

1. Is the 25 year old exemption rule valid? If so, where is the rule located...
2. Has anyone actually used an importer and how much did it cost?
3. Is there a listing of the DOT standards that must be met if the trailer doesn't have the certification label.
4. Does anyone have a pic of the required label they can post
5. Any additional tricks or suggestions ???
Many Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #19

Name: Fran L and Dave W
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
New Mexico
Registry
There are a couple of informative threads on the Escape Forum..here are the links:
My experience importing into US - Escape Trailer Owners Community
and
Buying used in Canada and returning to US - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Here is the label affixed to the outside of our trailer...this and the VIN number were the only things that were checked on the trailer when bringing into the US...of course we also had paperwork (7501) that they required. The number on the CSA label is NOT the VIN number.

...for some reason, the site is not responding to the Manage Attachments so I cannot add the photo...I'll try later. It is a round red & silver label with a big CSA on it and a number...might not be the same for every trailer.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #20

New Mexico
Registry
Here it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Escape CSA label.jpg  
Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #21

California
Thanks for the information.

I think that the sticker I am looking for is the one that states that it complies with US-DOT standards. Does your trailer have such a sticker as well? Any input on that..
Old 09-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #22

New Mexico
Registry
No...we were told that this is the sticker that certifies that the trailer meets US standards. If you google CSA certification you will get something to this effect:
Product Certification Overview
If you are selling your product in the US and Canada, you need to comply with the applicable nationally accepted UL & CSA standards. F2 Labs can evaluate and test your product, help you through the certification process and enable you to certify your product to UL & CSA standards.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #23

Name: Ben
Trailer: Triple E
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
UPDATE NEEDED...
Can anyone add anything to this thread as to what's happening with importing trailers into the U.S. from Canada ????
Some Outstanding Questions still include:

3. Is there a listing of the DOT standards that must be met if the trailer doesn't have the certification label.
Many Thanks
I imported a 77 Surfside from Canada back in May, so I have some fairly recent info for you:

It is still valid. My importer was aware of it and took care of the paperwork for me.

Roughly $125

It's my understanding that "vintage" trailers don't need to meet any certain DOT specifications, as they were manufactured prior to the implementation of such standards.

My importer made this transaction really hassle free for me. He emailed me all of the required forms ahead of time and after supplying some him with some pretty basic info, he had everything ready to go for me at customs.

Many Thanks[/QUOTE]
Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #24

California
Thanks to everyone for the replies, any additional experiences are appreciated.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
This thread might be useful http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-us-35838.html
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Bob, one of the big things I hear often from people considering buying a trailer in Canada is there is no way of determining the trailer is free of leans or chattel mortgage. Thats not true. The confusion seems to be that most of us in Canada are just not familiar with the term "Title Document". So when you purchase the trailer you need to ask the seller to provide you with a Registration form signed by them transferring the ownership/registration over to you - a must have to get it through the border and registered in the US. Most Provinces also have an online register run by the government that you can for a small fee plug in the trailers serial number and find out if it is as you say in the US clear title. Funny thing is that the average joe in Canada selling a car or trailer privately dont even know they can do that themselves but you can be sure that every car or trailer dealer in Canada taking in a trade in does. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #27

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Thanks for the information.

I think that the sticker I am looking for is the one that states that it complies with US-DOT standards. Does your trailer have such a sticker as well? Any input on that..
The one shown on the bottom of this picture is for California but accepted elsewhere. You are looking for anything with CSA or FMVSS on the sticker. The one in the middle is for RIVA and does not mean much for the government requirements.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...1&d=1379015544
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0516.jpg  
Old 10-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #28

Name: Billy
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
I live in Texas and bought a trailer from a man who brought it here in 1996 from Canada.I go to my tax office to register it and was told I needed US Customs paper work from when it came into US or file for lost title.To do this I needed Bill of Sale from owner and file with state for bonded title.In Texas the easy way is to find an Insurance company that will do this for you.My cost was $165 for filing fee and $6000 bond.I tell you this knowing that every state has different way of doing things but its probably easy in your state.Go to your tax office and get information from them they usally can help you or tell you how.
Good Luck