Import from Canada to the US ... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Thanks for the information.

I think that the sticker I am looking for is the one that states that it complies with US-DOT standards. Does your trailer have such a sticker as well? Any input on that..

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
No...we were told that this is the sticker that certifies that the trailer meets US standards. If you google CSA certification you will get something to this effect:
Product Certification Overview
If you are selling your product in the US and Canada, you need to comply with the applicable nationally accepted UL & CSA standards. F2 Labs can evaluate and test your product, help you through the certification process and enable you to certify your product to UL & CSA standards.
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #23

Name: Ben
Trailer: Triple E
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
UPDATE NEEDED...
Can anyone add anything to this thread as to what's happening with importing trailers into the U.S. from Canada ????
Some Outstanding Questions still include:

1. Is the 25 year old exemption rule valid? If so, where is the rule located...
2. Has anyone actually used an importer and how much did it cost?
3. Is there a listing of the DOT standards that must be met if the trailer doesn't have the certification label.
4. Does anyone have a pic of the required label they can post
5. Any additional tricks or suggestions ???
Many Thanks
I imported a 77 Surfside from Canada back in May, so I have some fairly recent info for you:

1. Is the 25 year old exemption rule valid? If so, where is the rule located...
It is still valid. My importer was aware of it and took care of the paperwork for me.

2. Has anyone actually used an importer and how much did it cost?
Roughly $125

3. Is there a listing of the DOT standards that must be met if the trailer doesn't have the certification label.
It's my understanding that "vintage" trailers don't need to meet any certain DOT specifications, as they were manufactured prior to the implementation of such standards.

4. Does anyone have a pic of the required label they can post

5. Any additional tricks or suggestions ???
My importer made this transaction really hassle free for me. He emailed me all of the required forms ahead of time and after supplying some him with some pretty basic info, he had everything ready to go for me at customs.

Many Thanks[/QUOTE]
kellyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #24

Thanks to everyone for the replies, any additional experiences are appreciated.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
This thread might be useful http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-us-35838.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Bob, one of the big things I hear often from people considering buying a trailer in Canada is there is no way of determining the trailer is free of leans or chattel mortgage. Thats not true. The confusion seems to be that most of us in Canada are just not familiar with the term "Title Document". So when you purchase the trailer you need to ask the seller to provide you with a Registration form signed by them transferring the ownership/registration over to you - a must have to get it through the border and registered in the US. Most Provinces also have an online register run by the government that you can for a small fee plug in the trailers serial number and find out if it is as you say in the US clear title. Funny thing is that the average joe in Canada selling a car or trailer privately dont even know they can do that themselves but you can be sure that every car or trailer dealer in Canada taking in a trade in does. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Thanks for the information.

I think that the sticker I am looking for is the one that states that it complies with US-DOT standards. Does your trailer have such a sticker as well? Any input on that..
The one shown on the bottom of this picture is for California but accepted elsewhere. You are looking for anything with CSA or FMVSS on the sticker. The one in the middle is for RIVA and does not mean much for the government requirements.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...1&d=1379015544
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0516.jpg  
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #28

Name: Billy
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
I live in Texas and bought a trailer from a man who brought it here in 1996 from Canada.I go to my tax office to register it and was told I needed US Customs paper work from when it came into US or file for lost title.To do this I needed Bill of Sale from owner and file with state for bonded title.In Texas the easy way is to find an Insurance company that will do this for you.My cost was $165 for filing fee and $6000 bond.I tell you this knowing that every state has different way of doing things but its probably easy in your state.Go to your tax office and get information from them they usally can help you or tell you how.
Good Luck
stone89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #29

Fortunately (or unfortunately) not all states elect to usurp federal law. You didn't mention the year of your trailer, but federal law is somewhat picky up to 25 years old, over that and it's a walk in the park.

In CA you have to have the import papers and a proof of compliance sticker or it won't get registered. Because the new Bigfoot company refuses to help with paperwork for older units it is sorta a brick wall.

And claiming a lost title won't usually work because, by now, most travel trailers less than 25 years old (including BigFoots) all have standard VIN's that are easily traced as to when they entered the U.S.

It seems so much work & expense, and with such as slight chance of success, that I have elected to limit my BigFoot search to those already registered in the U.S.

BTW: I suspect your trailer was brought in under a tourist visa which, basically, prohibits resale in the U.S.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #30

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Recently there was a post asking about purchasing the Escape trailer in BC Canada. If you look on their website in FAQ they lay out how you can simply import a new Escape. Looks like the US resident fills out the forms and pays. The US resident goes to Sumas, Washington, USA and the Escape dealer drives the trailer over the border to the US to deliver to the US resident. How handy is that?
Frequently asked questions

"Escape Trailer Industries completes all of the paperwork required for the import/export of your trailer.
Once the trailer enters production we will assign a VIN number to the trailer and complete the required documents. (Please note we do require a SSN at this time for one owner). A complete copy of the prepared documents is forwarded to both the customer and CPBSA where they are filed and stamped by US customs at the time of export/import.
Depending on the State and County some customers are able to obtain full title, and registration before they pick the trailer at the border. This allows them to have a metal plate to put on the trailer during travel between Sumas, WA and their home State"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #31

Bringing a new trailer into the U.S. is a slam dunk in almost all cases. The issues build exponentially when you are dealing with used trailers that: a) don't have a U.S. DOT compliance sticker thereupon or, b) the company that built the trailer no longer exists and can't provide compliance documentation.

Just having the compliance sticker will usually let you slide right through customs with a single piece of paper. Without it, good luck.

Involving the U.S. dealer almost sounds like they are adding a layer of work to the process.

BTW: There are very few states that will issue registration and plates on a vehicle/trailer that is still in another state/country. I once bought an Airstream Bambi that had been titled in that manner in one of the southern states and, yep, as it turned out, it was stolen.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Obviously, there are many takes on the import to U.S. topic. We have purchased several trailers in Canada, two were used. We live in WA state (each state differs on their requirements, so check with your DMV). Here is the info I have compiled after hours of research and numerous border crossings. (Obviously, a passport, passport card, or enhanced driver's license is also needed!)

Importing a travel trailer into the U.S. from Canada

Prior to picking up the trailer in Canada, check with your DMV to see if you need a temporary travel permit for transporting your trailer home. Permits vary in length of time, and depend on time from purchase of vehicle to return to state where permanent license can be obtained.

Needed for import of used trailer that is less than 25 years old from Canada into U.S.
1.Valid proof of ownership, which is an original certificate of title, or a certified copy of the original. It is helpful to also have a bill of sale from the previous owner.
2.Form HS-7 (find link on this page: Vehicle Importation and Certification Requirements) when crossing border into U.S.; Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will give you CPB Form 7501 and you will need to submit that, along with title/registration to the DMV in the state where it is to be registered.
3.For a trailer less than 25 years old, that has a permanent affixed certification label from the manufacturer stating that it meets all U.S. safety standards, check box 2a on the HS-7 Form.
4.For trailers that do not have the permanent affixed label, a Manufacturer’s confirmation letter along with Form HS-7 is needed, stating that the trailer conforms to all U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention Standards (or that it conforms to all such standards) and the vehicle is not a salvage motor vehicle, a repaired salvage motor vehicle, or a reconstructed motor. In this case, check box 2b on the HS-7 form.
5.If the trailer has a label stating it meets U.S. vehicle safety standards, and is being imported for personal use, a CBP bond usually is not required. While the CBP Officer has the authority to require a CBP bond, I think it is rare for this to happen.
6. However, if your trailer is less than 25 years old, and does not have the safety standard compliance sticker and you are unable to get documentation from the original manufacturer, it is much more difficult to import. I would have had to hire an import broker to help me with this process, and they don't always want to bother with these older trailers. That is my experience, anyway.

For a Trailer that is at least 25 years old: (much easier to import, especially if the manufacturer is no longer available for certification or letter)

1. Certification from the trailer manufacturer is not required and Box 1 needs to be checked on Form HS-7.
2. Verification of age of trailer is needed for proof of age. The trailer also needs a permanent vin number affixed on the trailer.
3. Travel permit, title/registration, and CBP form 7501 (completed by border guards) will be needed for transport and registration in state of residence (at least, this is true in WA state). We could not get the license ahead of time; we needed to have the title/registration and the CBP form to show them, but in some states, I guess this is possible. Always check with your DMV office before your purchase!

I edited the above after tips from Bob and Fran.
LindaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #33

Good tips for when everything is in order but: Please add an Item #6: To importing from Canada.

If your trailer is less than 25 years old, and does not have the DOT compliance sticker or the original manufacturer is not longer in business and/or won't provide a certification letter, ferget it..... and, as we have already learned, the new BigFoot company won't provide docs on trailers they didn't build after the BK.....

Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #34

Corrected OR to AND in above post....my bad

Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Quote:
Good tips for when everything is in order but: Please add an Item #6: To importing from Canada.

If your trailer is less than 25 years old, and does not have the DOT compliance sticker or the original manufacturer is not longer in business and won't provide a certification letter, ferget it..... and, as we have already learned, the new BigFoot company won't provide docs on trailers they didn't build after the BK.....
You are right, Bob. We waited for our Lil Bigfoot that we purchased to turn 25 before picking it up. Luckily, the folks we were purchasing it from held it for us for a few months until its birthday.
LindaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #36

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
And be aware that different rules apply in different states.

In NM we could not get ANYTHING from our DMV folks prior to bringing the trailer home and physically presenting it to them...no travel permit, nothing.

Just so we wouldn't look 'suspicious' driving the trailer from Canada to NM, we took the license plate off our old trailer (that we had sold) and put it on the trailer we were bringing back from Canada. Then got the plate officially transferred to the newer trailer once we got home and got it registered.

Also, the farther away from Canada you get the less likely that your DMV will understand that Canada does not have a 'title' like we do in the states. It may take a while to convince your DMV that the Canadian 'registration' is actually their title. We found our local AAA office to be very helpful in verifying what was needed by our state. They called their DMV contact and confirmed the process and forms and were going to be our backup if the DMV office clerks had issues. It took going up a couple of levels at the DMV office to finally get everything approved.
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
In California our local Auto Club offices do the hex finger and refer people to the DMV for import matters, the DMV people have no clue and will look it up BUT give you different info depending on who you are talking to. We live in the big city, I'm sure it would be easier in smaller communities where one might be able to talk to the same person on each visit which is impossible here. Like I said we decided it was a no go for us, had we lived in a smaller burb we might have had a go at it.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #38

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Importing from New Brunswick (NB) Canada

There is lots of good information here and I was able to look at fairly recent info and track down references from Customs, DOT, and EPA. But, just as in the states, it appears that the provinces may have idiosyncrasies to their requirements.
Can anyone share their knowledge/experience regarding importing a travel trailer from New Brunswick, Canada?

This would be a trailer over 25 years old.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The export and import of vehicles & trailers in Canada is all controlled by Canadian Federal Government as it is the US FEDS no idiosyncrasies involving provinces.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #40

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Yeah Feds handle the importing part. The provinces and states are the ones with idiosyncracies. Like transfer of ownership, registration or title. As well as things like temp plates etc.

Lora, contact Fiberglass RV - View Profile: theresa p who lives in NB. She should be able to fill you in on
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote