Importing a Trailer into Ontario - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Two Trillium Jubilees and a Trillium 1300
Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Bill Reilly
Importing a Trailer into Ontario

I responded to an ad for a 1979 Trillium Jubilee for sale in Flint Michigan. Upon contacting the seller and agreeing on a price subject to inspection, we made a deal. Now I was faced with the task of retrieving the trailer and importing it into Ontario.

All vehicles (and this includes trailers) being imported into Canada, , are subject to the rules and regulations administered by the Canadian Government Registrar of Imported Vehicles. The RIV can be reached at http://www.riv.ca. Their phone number is 1-888-848-8240. Having read the on-line material and, armed with a few questions, I stopped on my way to Flint at the Canada Customs office in Sarnia. The officer on duty was most helpful. She answered all of my questions and provided me with a brochure which detailed the entire procedure. One thing she stressed was that I should make sure that the Michigan registration form transferring title to me was completely filled out by the seller.

Upon returning to Canada with the trailer in tow, I made a declaration to the Customs Officer that I was importing the unit. After a couple of questions, she directed me to the Customs office to clear the vehicle.

I presented the State of Michigan Vehicle Certificate of Title, and a hand written Bill of Sale which I had received from the seller. Within minutes the Officer had checked the computer files for admissibility and prepared a Vehicle Import Form Form 1 which detailed the transaction. The Federal portion of the HST (5%) was calculated on the price shown on the receipt. I made payment to the cashier and that, along with Form 1 provided me with a clearance slip which released the unit and let me get on my way home. The entire Canadian Customs process took about 20 minutes. I spent more time than that showing off the trailer to a bunch of curious Customs Officers who had gathered for a peek inside !

All imported units are required to go through a follow-up process which can vary greatly depending on the age of the vehicle. In my case, because the trailer was over 15 years old, I was exempt from the RIV database entry and fee. Unfortunately, the brochure does not state that exemption from the database entry also removes the need for an inspection. I spent some time looking for another form ( Form 2) which was supposed to come by mail. A series of phone calls trying to get the elusive form resulted in my finding out that Form 2 was not required nor was the inspection. I merely presented my Form 1, the Bill of Sale, and the Michigan Certificate of Title to the Ontario Ministry of Transport. With the payment of the Provincial portion of the HST (8%) and a $35.00 licence fee, they issued a licence.

This was a very easy thing to do. I must confess that I had some misgivings about the importation process, but thanks to the Canadian Customs officials, it proved to be quite a simple task

Old 05-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #2

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
I thought it would be more complicated than this!
What plates have you used to tow it to the border / from the border or was it some sort of temporary permit?

GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Dear Bill

I'm glad that the process was relatively painless. I have been watching the posts waiting to see how it turned out. I'm glad that you had no difficulties. I hope you enjoy your new addition to your fleet...

Michael
Old 05-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
the biggest thing in your favour was the fact that the trailer is over 15 years old. Because it is; you do not have to deal with the RIV program.
I have brought several vehicles back to Canada and have had only very minor issues, as long as your paper-trail is good and all the serial numbers match it usually goes easy
Joe
Old 05-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #5

Ontario
Plates used for transport

Andrew

I was in a quandry about what plate I would use for getting to the border so I took the plate off my other Trillium and stuck that on. I know that is cheating but it worked !

Once into Canada, the Vehicle Import Form is your authjority to get it to a licencing office. There doesn't seem to be any time lines published on this so I left the "borrowed" plate on !
Old 05-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Smart move especially that your other Trillium is also Jubilee.
Hope, you don't mine me asking; Are you going to keep both trailers or, restore and make a little profit on one?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #7

Ontario
Twin Trailers !

Andrew

I'm still debating what to do. I got into the second one simply because I saw an opportunity to do another reno. I enjoyed, and am still enjoying, the first one. Perhaps after the summer and our planned trip to the Maritimes, I'll make a decision on what to do. My better half can't understand why I would even think about keeping both !
Old 05-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #8

Ontario
Registry
Maritimes? Driving through Quebec? I recommend north side of St. Lawrence as far as you dare and than ferry across. Past Quebec City, it's slower than south side but much more picturesque drive. If driving by Tadoussac, Camping Tadoussac is the best to stop over and enjoy the scenery. Last 10 days of July, I'll be there with my Jubilee on site 153
Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #9

Ontario
Maritimes trip

Andrew

I'll be at a camping at a family reunion up in Port Elgin on June 24 - 26 and another in Buckhorn on July 1 and 2. With tickets for the International Tattoo in Halifax on July 7, we don't have the time to do justice to the north shore. I did that in 1957 with two very young children and my Mom and Dad. I pulled a trailer with my (little) 1951 Plymouth and have wonderful memories of that trip. Perhaps we'll put it on our agenda for another time.
After the show in Halifax we plan to go to Mirimachi to visit with my neice and then back through the Adirondacks. Arrival back in PIcton is scheduled for July 15 in time for some medical stuff slated to start on July 18.
I do appreciate the hint of where to camp when we do undertake a north shore trip !
Old 05-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #10

Ontario
Registry
"I did that in 1957..." oh, wow!!! You have to go and see how little and how much it changed! I think that many holes in the roads there predate 1957 even that most of the traffic delays in summer are due to road construction / repairs. Fishing villages are no longer fishing and fish stores are few and far between and whatever they sell is not any fresher or cheaper than you can get in Toronto... That's the bad. The good is; The scenery is still (I think) the same. People are nice and friendly. Campgrounds are cheap (as compared to Ontario) and usually well maintained and quiet. Favourite (camping) past time seems to be wondering about with a glass of wine in hand. I fell in love with it at first sight and coming back there every chance I get!
Just to jolt your memories, a view from Camping Tadoussac