Importing an older Bigfoot (94') to the US - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Yes, the one is Folsom is very nice, but a long way from you and even 500 miles from me.
As it is in the US and you are in Canada, I think that it's fair to say that I have seen a number of 17' Bigfoots in Canada for prices below that and, when you have to add 20% for currency exchange, it's way above your local prices. I missed one much like it (exceptional condition) in the Penticton, BC area (I was in BC at the time) last year that didn't sell for $7500 CDN and was moved to winter storage, the week before I called. The seller will be relisting in the spring in the link below

Are you following this site? Bigfoot Travel Trailers - Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Old 02-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #16

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Yes, the one is Folsom is very nice, but a long way from you and even 500 miles from me.
As it is in the US and you are in Canada, I think that it's fair to say that I have seen a number of 17' Bigfoots in Canada for prices below that and, when you have to add 20% for currency exchange, it's way above your local prices. I missed one much like it (exceptional condition) in the Penticton, BC area (I was in BC at the time) last year that didn't sell for $7500 CDN and was moved to winter storage, the week before I called. The seller will be relisting in the spring in the link below

Are you following this site? Bigfoot Travel Trailers - Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
The exchange rate at present with the United States is 30 % with the expenses of administration.

Yes I watch regularly this year. Last year I missed ready-made one from my home. It is necessary to have the fast eye...

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
I think what the OP is saying is that Bigfoot Industries 2010 (the current company that manufactures Bigfoot trailers) won't provide the necessary paperwork. They probably want nothing to do with anything produced by the previous corporation as the current company didn't even exist at the time.

Your are 100% correct - not to mention in the few years the company was temp down and before it was sold to the employees there was a fire in the storage faculty were the paper work was being stored so they do not have the actual info on the builds of the older trailers.

As far as Canadian made trailers not having a DOT sticker goes - not true. Manufactures who are building trailers in Canada and selling them frequently into the US will often have a DOT sticker - including Bigfoots, even some of the older ones.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
It is similar for me who look a caravan Bigfoot to be sold which comes from the United States.

- Via internet I have to find a " certificate of import " and a " certificate of customs duty ".

- Verify if a temporary registration is necessary to move me before the border. ($$??)

- If more of 15-year-old, it is not necessary to obtain from certificate of eligibility. I would have thought of the opposit

- As it is a Canadian manufacturing of origin, I would not have to pay of tax for the air conditioner, which would be of $100 . (To verify)

- For passage in customs, it is possible to have a $195 contribution.
As the caravan was made in Canada, it is possible that I not ais not to pay this amount? (To verify)

That seems to complicate, I wonder if I am going to continue the process and in more I have to move to verify well that the caravan is good in the controversial state...
The caravan which I desire is in California and I in Quebec. It could be a beautiful journey but...

I have imported a trailer from the US to Canada. You are correct if the tailer is 15 years of age or older you do not need to worry about having DOT stickers or a compliance letter from the manufacturer. But you will need to be able to prove the age of the trailer.

I am assuming the $195 contribution you refer is in regards to the RIV program that the trailer would need to be registered in and inspected under if it is less than 15 years of age? In which case no you do not need to pay that for a trailer of 15 years of age or older - nor will you need to get the trailer inspected prior to registering in Canada.

You will though have to pay the GST when you import it and pay PST when you register it. Due to the free trade agreement you will pay no duty on a trailer made in Canada or the US.

Check with your insurance company about temp permit to transport it back - each province and insurance company is different in regards to that.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #19

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
I have not done this myself but I remember reading a post on another website where a U.S. citizen hired a broker to help with the import of a RV. If my memory is correct that poster said that the total cost was under $200.00

I'm all for D.I.Y. and few are cheaper than me but in this instance it might be money well spent. I would at least check it out.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #20

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I have not done this myself but I remember reading a post on another website where a U.S. citizen hired a broker to help with the import of a RV. If my memory is correct that poster said that the total cost was under $200.00

I'm all for D.I.Y. and few are cheaper than me but in this instance it might be money well spent. I would at least check it out.

You can indicate to me with what group of broker I have to communicate so that I how verify to work?
Thank you.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
You can indicate to me with what group of broker I have to communicate so that I how verify to work?
Thank you.
If you are importing a trailer to Canada that is more than 15 years old & it was built in Canada or the USA trust me you do not need a broker. Simple drive it to the border with the bill of sale and pay the GST and be gone.... then go to your insurance broker with the paperwork and register it and pay the PST. Nothing more than that. Very Simple.

Edit: I see for Quebec that the do collect the provincial sales tax at the border. Interesting as its the only province that they do that for at the actual border. Wonder whats up with that ;-)

See the Government website: Registrar of Imported Vehicles for all the factual details.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
You can search "Broker" ( top, right side of the page ) in previous posts on this subject and read others' experiences.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 3.51.31 PM.png  
Old 02-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #23

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If you are importing a trailer to Canada that is more than 15 years old & it was built in Canada or the USA trust me you do not need a broker. Simple drive it to the border with the bill of sale and pay the GST and be gone.... then go to your insurance broker with the paperwork and register it and pay the PST. Nothing more than that. Very Simple.
We are always a little bit shy when we look outside our knowledge.
Thank you very much for the help, I shall continue next Monday on that...
This evening it is St-Valentin and I am going to join my wife for the buffet.
There are 7 hr. pm here.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #24

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
I think this thread is getting a little confusing as it started out around importing a Bigfoot from Canada to the US and now it has changed to importing from the US to Canada.
Read carefully depending on the info you are looking for as they are two quite different processes!
Old 02-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #25

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Thank you kootenaigirl,
You are right like so many threads this one has some twists. Just to clarify my comment above about using a broker was regarding importing a trailer from Canada to the U.S.

Tags
bigfoot