Importing RV from NY, We live in Michigan Help - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 07:38 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
4. No plate was present when transporting the trailer through Ontario, Manitoba, Wisconsin and Michigan, although I believe the Ontario website indicates that a temporary plate can be obtained.

For one of our campers brought from Ontario, the seller mistakenly left his plate on the camper. (We did not know the regulation either.) Later that day, OPP officer questioned us about the camper and pointed out that the plate should not be on the camper. OPP officer also suggested removing the plate before crossing the border which we did!
I'm surprised. In Ontario as in Quebec, it is illegal to tow a trailer without a licence plate. Police will pull you over right away.
I'm not familiar with the import procedures from Canada to the US, but just 3 weeks ago we bought a trailer in ON and brought it in QC, and got my info right from ON and QC DMV offices. Bringing vehicle or trailer from another jurisdiction is considered a vehicle import by the DMV, and the the procedure is similar pretty much everywhere within Canada I believe.

The way it works, usually the seller will sign the trailer's title/registration and give it to the buyer. This is not an ownership transfer, it is only an authorization from the seller that allows the buyer to have the ownership transferred at the DMV office. As long as the transfer is not officially completed at the DMV office, the seller remains the legal and liable owner of the trailer, the trailer's registration remains valid (under the seller's name) even if a bill of sale has been signed by both parties and the seller got fully paid. It is the buyer responsibility to go to the DMV office and pay the registration fees, DMV will then issue a registration and new licence plate, which he can put on the trailer and tow it home legally, as he's now the official owner. You cannot tow a trailer without a licence plate and valid registration, even if you just bought it. This implies the buyer has to go to the DMV office with the signed paper, then get back to the trailer to affix his new licence plate. Now if the DMV office is too far away, or the seller doesn't want or can't bring the trailer to the DMV office (which would be the easiest way to do it), there are 3 options:
1- Simplest method: the seller leaves his licence plate on the trailer, so you can legally tow it back home. After all, until the transfer is made at your DMV office, the seller's registration is still valid (the seller is still the official owner) and since you can legally tow someone else's trailer, that's what is happening here. But please be aware that the seller has absolutely no obligation to leave his plate on the trailer. In fact, the Ontario and Quebec registration offices discourage people from doing this, as the seller remains liable as long as the transfer isn't officially made at the government office. But for a trailer, many sellers will let the trailer go with their plate, and will simply ask the buyer to send them the plate back by mail once the trailer is home (or destroy it with photos to prove it). Then you can have the trailer registered locally under your name. But remember the seller has no obligation to leave his licence plate. It remains the buyer's responsibility to tow a legally registered trailer with a valid licence plate.
2- For example you are buying in Ontario and bringing the trailer in another province: go to the nearest Ontario DMV office (ServiceOntario I believe) with the registration/title paper signed by the seller, pay the fee and get the trailer registered in Ontario, under your name (I believe you can get a temporary registration for a few dollars, valid for 10 days or so - enough time to get home and get the trailer registered home). Then you can tow the trailer home legally, it has a valid registration, you're the official owner. Once home you will have to register again in your own jurisdiction.
3- put the trailer on a flat bed truck to bring it home, then have it registered.

In my case the seller let us go with his licence plate, so we were able to legally tow the trailer home. We mailed the licence plate back to the seller, and with the ON registration/title paper signed by the seller we registered the trailer in QC with no issue.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #22

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
You have probably seen this but if not
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-into-the-u.s
As others have said importing a trailer from Canada without the DOT sticker and less than 25 years old is a more complicated scenario. Please keep us updated on process and cost as not many do it.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Here's another change that can trip you up

Welcome Lady, Some of the necessary changes are critical, others not so much. For example, if it turns out you always need to visit Canada to enjoy the use of your trailer, well that is an inconvenience. Be thankful that you live near the border.

There are other far more critical changes that you must not overlook. One that has not been mentioned is changing your FiberglassRV status from "currently shopping" to, "SunTrek Vista 18' " Others may know all the strict requirements, but I believe posting photos is one of them. Study hard. We wish you well.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
re Post #21

Carl V, re Post #21, for an Ontarian selling to a US resident who intends to immediately import the camper to the US, Ontario does not charge HST, registration or other fees. US Customs will charge import duty if the camper is less than 25 years old. And the US state will charge title and registration fees.

Why did the OPP officer question us? We were dropping the camper off at a mechanic's shop in Ontario at 2 AM for a road-worthiness check. A neighbor called the OPP office to check on what we were doing. The OPP office was just down the road. As soon as I told the OPP officer that our next stop would be the border crossing and US Customs, he had no further concerns.

The three times we've applied for a transfer of ownership, the State of Michigan has not questioned using the signed over Canadian provincial registration, together with the bill of sale and CBP 1750 as the basis for transfer.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #25

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Lady,

We purchased a 1988 20 Bigfoot from a member in Canada last fall and I drove from Kentucky to Quebec just off Lake Huron to pick up Gladys. We researched all the required forms and I had to get a passport.

On the return trip, to Kentucky, the only time I got out of my truck was to get gas or spend the night in a motel. Even the boarder guards couldn't have cared less and they didn't come out of their boarder booths. The Canadian Customs Agent never looked at any paperwork except my passport and driver's license. That exam took all of about three minutes.

I crossed through Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky without any license plate or any markings on the camper. At one point, the Michigan highway patrol paced me for about five miles and then turned around and headed back the way he'd come from...never a hitch or a problem. No temporary registration or any exterior signage on the camper.

I did have a bill of sale as well as the proper import paperwork on hand, just in case. I threw it away after I arrived home and we had the camper inspected and registered here in Kentucky. The County Clerk's Office here in Kentucky did require a special transfer document since the camper was coming in from out of state.

After hours of searching and much preparation, we didn't need any of it.

bill (not laura)
Old 04-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Every state's different. In Michigan, our imported campers have never been "inspected", the state never checked the serial number on the trailer, etc. In Michigan, the CBP 1750 is required. At one point, it was possible to get the CBP 1750 at any CBP office, i.e. at an airport, AFTER going through US Customs. Don't know if this is still the case. US Customs DID inspect our campers prior to issuing the CBP form.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #27

Name: David
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
The owner bringing the trailer from Canada into the US MUST tell them they will be selling it in the US! They then must tell US Customs they are doing the same or otherwise they are smuggling it into the US! Call US Customs to see what your responsibility is, they will answer you clearly and accurately. I forsee great problems when you attempt to register it anywhere in the USA if you haven't followed these procedures. As far as how you get it home transport plates are available in all states. I am a retired police captain in NYS and have friends in customs. You do NOT want issues there, they can seize the trailer from you.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I agree- that trailer is sweet!

Since it is less than 25 years old, it requires a US DOT certification sticker affixed to the coach or a document from the manufacturer certifying same. Does this trailer have that? Without it, you or your broker has to arrange an inspection and any modifications to bring it into compliance with US standards. With a trailer, it's mostly about dimensions and running lights (and you're right, a motorized RV is more complicated- think emissions). That has to be done in order to get the US Customs form at the border, along with the bill of sale and signed registration document from the seller. I believe- not sure- the trailer and buyer have to be physically present at the border when that form is issued, but it may be different when a broker is involved. I'd actually love to hear a report on how the broker process works, costs, etc. when this is done.

Getting the trailer from state to state is a minor issue. If you have all the paperwork showing it is a recent purchase, including the CBP import form, just tow it home. Your vehicle's liability policy covers the trailer when towing (but only for liability, of course). Some states- not all- will issue a temporary transport tag, and I agree a face-to-face conversation with someone at the MI motor vehicle office might give better answers. I would not mention the trailer is coming from CAN- that's a separate issue that might confuse a low-level clerk. "I'm buying a travel trailer out-of-state- can I get a temporary transport tag to bring it home?" If not, you can try in NY, and if that fails, then just pull it without a tag. If you get stopped, as long as you have all the usual documents for your tow vehicle and all the paperwork for the trailer including the import form, I can't imagine it being an issue.

To reiterate, the bigger issue is the import form, and for that you need to deal directly with US Customs and/or a registered import broker. States have nothing to do with it, but without that form you can't register it in any state.

Best wishes!
That 25 year number is what I was trying to recall, and was the reason why I asked the trailer's age.

Just one thing about your post that I might disagree with: Michigan being so close to Ontario, they probably get a fair number of imported trailers (and motor vehicles) for registration at the Sec of State offices, so those folks might actually know a fair bit (if you hit a person who's been there a while) about the process. So I wouldn't try to say it was just from another state; V might miss a good source of info by fibbing.

V, be sure to look over that trailer good before you take possession of it. I was inside a Suntrek Vista for sale her in OK a while back, and it had water stains down one wall. They are made a little different than our usual (2 piece molded) eggs... I don't recall the exact details on their construction right now. But if it looks sound, they are really nice trailers.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #29

Name: Vivienne
Trailer: Sun Trek 1998 "Wannabe"
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Carl V, re Post #21, for an Ontarian selling to a US resident who intends to immediately import the camper to the US, Ontario does not charge HST, registration or other fees. US Customs will charge import duty if the camper is less than 25 years old. And the US state will charge title and registration fees.

Why did the OPP officer question us? We were dropping the camper off at a mechanic's shop in Ontario at 2 AM for a road-worthiness check. A neighbor called the OPP office to check on what we were doing. The OPP office was just down the road. As soon as I told the OPP officer that our next stop would be the border crossing and US Customs, he had no further concerns.

The three times we've applied for a transfer of ownership, the State of Michigan has not questioned using the signed over Canadian provincial registration, together with the bill of sale and CBP 1750 as the basis for transfer.
One of the big problems I found this afternoon is as Kevin from Stonewell corp said a big problem is that Sun Trek is out of business, no dealer, no one to help out. He said it would be recalled and impounded for 30 days.
yikes. This has all the makings of a "Goat Rodeo"

Kevin at Stonewell is looking up the vin # and going to try to find a dealer of Sun Trek, good luck on that one honey!

I told DH if he wanted to pull the plug on this one I will move on to my search. I called the owner in Canada and let her know the update. She was sad in her voice, she is older, but understands.

Stay tuned

Quote from; Captain Dave The owner bringing the trailer from Canada into the US MUST tell them they will be selling it in the US! They then must tell US Customs they are doing the same or otherwise they are smuggling it into the US! Call US Customs to see what your responsibility is, they will answer you clearly and accurately. I forsee great problems when you attempt to register it anywhere in the USA if you haven't followed these procedures. As far as how you get it home transport plates are available in all states. I am a retired police captain in NYS and have friends in customs. You do NOT want issues there, they can seize the trailer from you.

V. Well Cap't Dave Just want you to know we have NO intention of doing anything shady or illegal. I have heard the phrase

"cuff em and stuff em" and I do not want to experience that.
Ladyofthelakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofthelakes View Post
One of the big problems I found this afternoon is as Kevin from Stonewell corp said a big problem is that Sun Trek is out of business, no dealer, no one to help out. He said it would be recalled and impounded for 30 days.
yikes. This has all the makings of a "Goat Rodeo"

Kevin at Stonewell is looking up the vin # and going to try to find a dealer of Sun Trek, good luck on that one honey!
Could you explain this a little more? Who is Kevin and Stonewell Corp.? Who will recall and impound it, what is the issue, and on what condition will they release it?

I am trying to better understand the process of importing newer trailers, specifically those without DOT certification or manufacturer support. Pre-bankruptcy Bigfoot trailers fall into this category as well. It should not be a problem to meet US DOT standards.They are very similar and most trailers probably wouldn't require any modification. But what does it take to get it?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:35 PM   #31

Michigan
Fiberglass is not in my future.

Quote:
Could you explain this a little more? Who is Kevin and Stonewell Corp.? Who will recall and impound it, what is the issue, and on what condition will they release it?

I am trying to better understand the process of importing newer trailers, specifically those without DOT certification or manufacturer support. Pre-bankruptcy Bigfoot trailers fall into this category as well. It should not be a problem to meet US DOT standards.They are very similar and most trailers probably wouldn't require any modification. But what does it take to get it?
Kevin is the man I spoke with on the phone today. He either owns the Registered Import business or works for it. He said that he has an office in Buffalo NY and one in Port Huron, Mi.

He explained that because Sun Trek is out of business and there are not any dealers who sell them it would be very difficult to get some verification on it.

It has to meet standards to be driven on U.S. roads if it does not then it would be impounded for up to 30 days. Now, who pays for that storage.!

I am getting a little overwhelmed with this business of buying fiberglass. So am going to pull back and regroup.

After looking at small 16ft and 18ft trailers that are 250 miles from my home.........why am I putting myself through all this chaos.

I am going to call the seller in the morning and tell her that I am not going through. If anything I did a small favor for her in shining a light on this little camper. It's a nice camper. Loved all the windows and the weight issue was a huge factor in my buying it. But let some of you good folks tackle this problem. It's far easier if it is not taken out of Canada.

My goal is to get to Arizona next winter and get out of this awful Michigan 7 or 7 1/2 months of winter. As we speak, there is snow accumulating perhaps up to 6 inches. Nuff Nuff of winter.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:49 AM   #32

Arizona
Registry
I'm not sure it wouldn't meet US DOT standards. Most trailers made in NA are built for sale in both markets. Not much different to my eye. The $64 (or $6400?!!) question is how you get it inspected by someone who can give it a pass that is acceptable to US CBP? Is that something that happens during the 30-day impound? Any idea what it costs?

Thanks for the additional clarification. This is uncharted waters. We are all learning.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:08 AM   #33
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofthelakes View Post

My goal is to get to Arizona next winter and get out of this awful Michigan 7 or 7 1/2 months of winter. As we speak, there is snow accumulating perhaps up to 6 inches. Nuff Nuff of winter.
Snow and freezing rain here today. I understand . But if I wanted to leave Vermont for that length of time I would be looking to relocate. While I know there are folks who do it, living in a space the size of a bathroom for long periods of time is not something I would do just to escape winter. Perhaps Michigan should become the destination and Arizona home. Just a thought.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:39 AM   #34

Michigan
Full time Snowbirds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Snow and freezing rain here today. I understand . But if I wanted to leave Vermont for that length of time I would be looking to relocate. While I know there are folks who do it, living in a space the size of a bathroom for long periods of time is not something I would do just to escape winter. Perhaps Michigan should become the destination and Arizona home. Just a thought.
I would love that as we have a small cabin here on an inland lake and this big house. Trouble is DH won't sell the house to finance that dream of mine. He was born on this island and it is embedded in his blood, and his feet in cement. Me? Not so much!

Living in a bathroom sized room for extended time DH may not want to do that but then he LOVES working. Me, I paint, sketch, hike, read, and also enjoy cooking. But I could give up cooking and doing greasy dishes in a heartbeat.

Then there is the Grand Canyon, be still my heart, how I love the Canyon. I also want to go up into Utah and see the Southwestern part of that state. I drove through there twice and it bit me hard.

What could be nicer, the green lush colors here in northern midwest Great Lakes and the desert part of the year.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #35
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A bad case of cabin fever. In a few weeks it will pass. My wife says April is the cruelest month.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #36

Arizona
Registry
Cooking is an important part of our camping experience. Without electricity and a conventional oven, different techniques are required. An outside stove and grill is where most of it happens. Our standby is grilled meat and veggies in the evening, leftovers sauteed with eggs and wrapped in a tortilla for breakfast. Grill requires minimal clean-up, and one large non-stick frying pan cooks with minimal grease and cleans with minimal water. We also carry a large pot for steaming seafood at the ocean and a coffee percolator (minus the guts) for heating water. Keeping it simple and fresh...

Not Grand, but here's "our" canyon...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	117377Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1232.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	117378
Salt River Canyon, winter and summer
Old 04-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #37

Michigan
Quote:
Cooking is an important part of our camping experience. Without electricity and a conventional oven, different techniques are required. An outside stove and grill is where most of it happens. Our standby is grilled meat and veggies in the evening, leftovers sauteed with eggs and wrapped in a tortilla for breakfast. Grill requires minimal clean-up, and one large non-stick frying pan cooks with minimal grease and cleans with minimal water. We also carry a large pot for steaming seafood at the ocean and a coffee percolator (minus the guts) for heating water. Keeping it simple and fresh...

Not Grand, but here's "our" canyon...
Attachment 117377Attachment 117378
Salt River Canyon, winter and summer
Weee, nice pictures. I sort of wanted to go the the Salt River area in Feb, but Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Mon. won out. It was wonderful. How I wish I was back there right now, not looking at these 9 " of fresh snow.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I try to get back to MI for a few days nearly every summer. It still says "home" to me. But you won't catch me there in winter... or false spring, second winter, pre-spring, third winter.....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:57 PM   #39

Arizona
Registry
So you're basically there all summer?...
Old 04-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #40

Michigan
It has been a battle!

Q. When is the time to pull the plug on a project or a plan?

A. Tonight. I called the nice lady in Canada and told her that I ran into the last problem and I just did not want to tackle the Sun Trek.

On a happy note, we have decided on another pull trailer. It fits our needs and wants. Hubby has an oven so I can make him pizza, nice bathroom not a wet bath, which did not bother me at all since I have to wipe down the fiberglass showers at home anyway. I wanted an awning and screen door and larger fridge than the Sun Trek had.

It is not, however, a fiberglass shell.

Can't have everything. and I will be a very happy camper

Not only will I be in Arizona next winter, this summer I can practice right here on the island pulling, parking, backing up. I can take the whole summer to get used to my new digs.

It's been interesting and fun here on fbrv, I have learned a lot. It proves time and again what I found out last month in Az. While I was very disappointed in our rented rig's furnace crapping out and I could not boondock as planned, spending 7 of my 10-day vaca in RV parks.......RVers are the nicest, most helpful, and happy campers ever.

You people are wonderful.