Importing Scamp 5 to Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2007, 08:45 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Has anyone imported a Scamp fifthwheel to Canada recently? After paying exchange, inspection fees of about $2oo and taxes here [and in Minn.] is it really worth it? Also there seems to be a question on whether or not the hitch is Canadian approved or would need to be changed.
Virginia Michaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Go directly to the source to get your answer. Write a letter to the Scamp factory.

There more than likely is a way to get your Minnesota tax $$ back same as Yanks purchasing in Canada and then getting the $$ back by sending receipts to Canada.

Then post the answer on the site so others will know.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: We have only purchased parts from Scamp so far , the last being a full set of cushion covers and Scamp Parts have not charged me Minn. tx's as the parts are leaving the country, but the Canada Post outlet slaps a sticker on the parcel with P.S.T./G.S.T after converting the U.S.D. to Canadian$'s+$5.00 fee for collecting the taxes. Check with Canada Revenue or whatever they call themselves now as all the rules have changed Free Trade??? Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Hi Virginia, here is a discussion regarding bringing a new Casita into Canada. I have also brought in a used Casita with no issues, just the registrar fee, Canadian Tire inspection pay the required Federal and Provincial sales taxes and get your plates for the standard fee.

Make sure you have a letter from Scamp indicating no recalls.

Here is a link to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Here is a link to the Transport Canada site regarding vehicle imports

Follow the instructions and it should be a piece of cake.

There is even a phone # to call to confirm that the VIN on the unit you are buying is valid for import.

If you have any specific questions, ask away!

"Worth it" is something you need to determine for yourself.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to davefryg
Hi Virginia you will not have to pay any tax at Scamp ,for $10 they will supply a
travel permit good for 7 days , When you register it in Canada you will then pay
the provincial tax . The GST you will have to pay when crossing the boarder .
a much easier way than the US going back to the states
davefryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:31 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Reace mentioned that he used a fifth-wheel hitch in the Escape 5.0 - rather than the ball coupler as Scamp uses in their 19' - to meet CSA requirements. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the Scamp design according to any motor vehicle regulation I've seen. I don't know if an imported trailer, purchased in the U.S., needs CSA approval.

When I asked Casita about purchasing one of their trailers and bringing it to Canada they said they would deliver it with CSA and Transport Canada approvals, instead of their U.S. equivalents, but I have no idea what Scamp does.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Has anyone imported a Scamp fifthwheel to Canada recently? After paying exchange, inspection fees of about $2oo and taxes here [and in Minn.] is it really worth it? Also there seems to be a question on whether or not the hitch is Canadian approved or would need to be changed.
You should not have to pay local inspection fees as it is not a motorized vehicle, but there may be a different inspection based on the trailers age. Many of the rules are based on date of manufacture.
I know I've seen gooseneck hitches in Ontario, so I assume they are legal here.

The most important document to obtain is "Title". It can be a nightmare without one.

GST exemptions have recently changed, it might be really worth your while to spend an extra day in the US when picking it up.

One weird rule from Agriculture Canada, the underside of the trailer must be powerwashed before crossing the border. If it looks clean, I doubt they will look.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:50 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Yes, there are lots of trailers with ball-and-socket hitches mounted in the bed (or on the deck) of the truck - some gooseneck style, some more like a semi-trailer. Most are for cargo or livestock. It is perfectly road legal; the only question was whether it meets CSA standards for a recreational vehicle.

Quote:
...One weird rule from Agriculture Canada, the underside of the trailer must be powerwashed before crossing the border. If it looks clean, I doubt they will look.
I don't think that's weird - a lot of very destructive pests are accidentally imported by vehicles. I would rather have the border guards pulling trailers aside to get them clean than tearing cars apart to look for goods incurring a few dollars worth of duty.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Yes, there are lots of trailers with ball-and-socket hitches mounted in the bed (or on the deck) of the truck - some gooseneck style, some more like a semi-trailer. Most are for cargo or livestock. It is perfectly road legal; the only question was whether it meets CSA standards for a recreational vehicle.
I don't think that's weird - a lot of very destructive pests are accidentally imported by vehicles. I would rather have the border guards pulling trailers aside to get them clean than tearing cars apart to look for goods incurring a few dollars worth of duty.
Thanks for the update on hitches Brian. As to the "weird" rule, I understand and agree with the reason for it fully. Problem is it only appears to apply when importing. I can bring my trailer back down to the US with my Ontario plates, tour through every back road, farm area, or whatever for a couple of years and no one will bat an eye when I cross back to the great white north. Second reason I referred to it as weird is that unless one checks out the RIV site like Charlie suggests, That one law won't be found with the usual info people are looking for. Namely what is required for registration and how is the gov't going to get their tax money.

Here are examples of the stupidity of it all. With the dog in the back seat, we are usually asked about her food crossing into the USA. Does it have any beef in it ... etc. Show us the sealed package with the ingredients on the label. Not one of the border gaurds ever thought to ask if the trailer we were towing was stored in a cow pasture, or near a meat packing plant. These guys only understand the law, they don't understand infection/pest control.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Crossing between two Canadian islands once, the Ag Police confiscated my potatos (NF to CBI) Similar events returning to US from CA and also Ag inspections at some borders and within the states of FL, Calif and HA.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Virginia we imported a car last year and very recently a used 16' Scamp. As far as if it's worth it or not, depends on the exchange rate of the day and whether or not you can purchase the same trailer for less in Canada. The only extra charges you will be paying that you would not pay in Canada is the RIV fee, the inspection fee and temp permit fees. Our experience is that it is in fact well worth it but we did the money transfers on good exchange rate days. :-)

My only concern with importing a new trailer would be with the warranty work. Are you willing and able to take it back to Scamp or does Scamp have someone in Canada who they will allow to do the work for them?

I can not answer your question regarding the hitch of a 5th wheel but I would check with Scamp as to its type and then check with Transport Canada you would be able to get the correct answer.

The process of importing is fairly straight forward as others have stated. Call the people at RIV and they will walk you through it if you have any questions. For what it is worth here is my personal insight on how it all worked as well as a few things you should know that RIV does not tell you.

The big thing is that the trailer must have Statement of Compliance label that states that the trailer was manufactured to comply with all US Federal Regulations at the time of manufacture. Scamp's do have this. If the label is missing RIV will tell you that they will take a letter from the manufacture stating the trailer complied but I can tell you first hand that few of the people who actually do the final inspection know about the use of a letter instead of the label and you may have a hassle over it at the final inspection. So folks please do not paint over Safety Compliance labels. If needed Scamp will for a small fee will issue a new label. The trailer must have the VIN and date of manufacturing stamped on the frame. Scamp does that on the tongue so it should not be a problem assuming the frame has not been modified outside of the manufacturing plant.

Check with the border you plan to cross at, as some may have restrictions as to what crossing you can use or the time of day you can bring the trailer across. For example from Blaine, Washington to B.C. you need to use the Pacific Crossing not the Peace Arch. There were no day of the week or hour of day restrictions on a trailer as there was with importing a car. Also when importing a car to Canada from the US you need to get the paper work sent to the US border a number of days ahead of time and then report to the US border before going to the Canada side. With a trailer you do not need to send paper work to the US border before hand or stop at the US Border at all, you just go straight to the Canadian crossing.

There are also a few extra things that the RIV site does not tell you about in regards to what paper work the boarder crossing folks like to see in order to make your crossing fast and painless. Its not a legally requirement but when we inquired directly to the border we were told about them. The border likes to see a copy of the bill of sale, a copy of the cheque or money order used to pay and a signed copy of the title from the seller. If you purchased the trailer second hand they also like to see a copy of the ad that you originally saw the trailer advertised. Suspect this is all to make sure what you say you paid for the trailer is actual so that they get the full tax. You pay the GST at the border and the PST when you register the trailer after inspection.

The border will give you a filled out copies of Form 1 which you should fax to RIV once home along with the Recall letter from Scamp. Scamp does recall letters all the time so they will have no problem getting one from them. The recall letter must be on Scamps letter head and stamped. So if you are purchasing a second hand trailer you need to give Scamp a call ahead of time. Before they can issue you one Scamp needs to know the Vin #, name and address of the seller (as it appears on title) and purchaser, the title number and date title issued. Scamp has no way of sending a digital image of the recall letter so it must be mailed to you. They can though fax you a copy which should be enough to get you across the border and you will get the original in the mail later.

A new rule (April 1) is that you must fax RIV the Recall letter along with the Form 1 before they will issue you the inspection forms. It use to be that you would just take the Recall letter to the inspection. Check the fax numbers at RIV to send to as the number for Recall letter may be different from the one you send the Form 1 to.

Phone RIV after you faxed the paper work to them to make sure they received. Once they receive it give them about few days to process. Then call again and if the inspection forms are ready they can e-mail them to you rather than mail.

RIV will send you a list of inspection stations you can use. Canadian Tire is not the only place. Worth checking around as some of the independent inspection stations are a bit cheaper than Canadian Tire.

RIV will also send you the inspection forms that you will need to take to the inspection. On the forms it will list everything that will be inspected. Basically the following will be checked at inspection: VIN#, make model, vehicle class, manufacturer, date of manufacture, cargo capacity, statement of compliance label, tire manufacture, tire type, Max load rating on tires, Max inflation pressure, Gross Vehicle weight Ratings, Axle weight rating, Any modification information including the date done and name and address of who did the modifications. Reflectors and/or lights meet with CMVSS 108 Standards. RIV along with the inspection forms will give you a copy of the standards which list what safety letter's must appear on each light lens, color and where they must be mounted on the trailer. You should not have a problem with the Scamp in that regard but to be sure you should check with Scamp. The regs we received from RIV are posted below.

You will need a temp permit to take the trailer for inspection. Once the trailer passes inspection you can go get it registered, pay PST and get your plates and insurance.

You need a temp permit on the US side for the states you will be traveling through. Some states allow another’s permit to pass through. Check with each state you will be travel in to be sure. You also cannot take plates off an already registered Canadian trailer or car and put them onto a trailer or car you are importing. You will be hassled at the border if you try that. The trailer needs to be insured on the Canada side before you drive it from the border. Buy temp insurance/permit before you pick up the trailer....seem to think they actually call it a rider or something like that. You may have to call the head office of the insurance company to find out how to do this as some of the agents do not seem to know how to do that.

I know it all sounds like a lot of work and hassle but it really is not.

Carol
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer_Worksheet_Page_1.jpg   Trailer_Worksheet_Page_2.jpg  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp