increase bounce with new axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #1

Name: graham
Trailer: 1990 bigfoot 17 foot
Alberta
increase bounce with new axle

Had a new straight axle and springs and installed on my 1990 Bigfoot 17 foot. The good,I ended up with 4 more inches of clearance.The bad it bounces like crazy.I assume my hitch is sitting too low for the trailer and I need to make some adjustments.I'm guessing I need to raise the ball.Any insight would be appreciated.
gwestwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
You don't want the trailer to be un-level, but I'm not inclined to think that the change will stop trailer bounce. It's just the nature of steel springs, I think. Shock absorbers will help, if they can be fitted.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwestwood View Post
Had a new straight axle and springs and installed on my 1990 Bigfoot 17 foot. The good,I ended up with 4 more inches of clearance.The bad it bounces like crazy.I assume my hitch is sitting too low for the trailer and I need to make some adjustments.I'm guessing I need to raise the ball.Any insight would be appreciated.
Maybe your tire pressure is too high. you should be able to see a small amount of bulge at the bottom sidewalls.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm assuming the new springs are rated for the same weight as the old and/or appropriately rated for the actual weight of your trailer?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm in 100% agreement with Jon here! IF the springs are really over-rated for your trailer and there's NO give (no spring action), it's going to go to bounce city with no solution...not even shocks would/will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm assuming the new springs are rated for the same weight as the old and appropriately rated for the actual weight of your trailer?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #6

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Registry
I put shocks on my 17 ft. Casita, made a big difference
pholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #7

Alberta
Work was done by a spring shop so I assumed they knew what they were doing.Is there a chance the springs need to Break in a bit?
Old 06-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

Alberta
Quote:
Work was done by a spring shop so I assumed they knew what they were doing.Is there a chance the springs need to Break in a bit?
Will mess with the hitch tonight as I doubt its sitting level
Old 06-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Go Pro camera mounted while doing a test drive...I would? Have someone walking inside and bounce and see if you see ANY give at all. Hopefully it will be as simple as shocks.

Quote:
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Bounce

I have replaced the original Trillium axle, because it was decades old, and torsion axles do deteriorate, so I am told.

I just automatically upgraded to a 3500# axle, since I do tend to travel "heavy"

These trailer bounce a bit anyway, so, I am hoping that I have not created a problem for myself. With the torsion axle, I don't think that shocks are a possibility.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #11

Alberta
I raised my my hitch and it is certainly way better.Must have been swaying quite a bit.Still bounces on bumps but recovers way quicker.With this talk of shocks and the bounce I do have, I'm thinking my next thing to do is add shocks
Old 06-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Torsion axles have rubber inside them that provides some shock absorption. Switching to a spring axle with no shock absorption means you will see more bounce. No break-in period.

Others have mentioned about weight ratings. Let's say a person has a 2200 lb. trailer (loaded). A 2500 lb axle will give them a proper ride, but a 3500 lb axle (or springs) will have less give (more hard jarring) and a 5000 lb axle (or springs) will be even more harsh. Not knowing what your trailer weighs or what the shop installed, it's hard to know for sure where you're at. But assuming they matched the springs properly to the trailer weight, shocks should help quite a bit.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote