Incubation Question - How do you Keep Your Eggs Warm? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #29
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
I thought this would be a hot topic for these chilly nights. Thanks for all your thoughtful & relevant replies, as well as for any others I might have missed. ;>

We've wound up here with a broad collection of heating and insulating strategies. Let's develop it as far as we can-- it might become a useful "sticky" for future reference.

As for me, I've already lined the back of my cabinets with Reflectix. I like the idea of adding side seals to our night blackout curtains, that should help. Custom-cut foam panels would do much more to stop heat loss. A throw rug makes simple sense.

We'll always carry a cheap 1500 watt AC heater for CG's equipped with electricity. But we really do need a small furnace. Ironically, our Scamp still wears a double-vent-port grill from the Suburban Furnace that was removed by a previous owner. (Why, oh why did he do that?) FYI, Scamp's current Parts Dept. price of $365 for this unit is over $100 less than other RV suppliers I've found on the Net, so this seems like a golden opportunity. I know it's powerful enough, and it seems like the safest choice by a wide margin. I'll ask for it as a Christmas present.

Speaking of safety, and speaking especially to Roger, please don't worry about me. I knew that cooking with the windows shut was a risky practice. I just wanted to know how risky. I wanted to test how my new CO detector would react, to see if it was working properly. I was also testing the maximum possible heating capacity of the stovetop. Cooking certainly can heat up a trailer from warm to hot in the summertime, but I found that a ten-degree rise is much less noticeable when you're starting at 20 degrees rather than 80 degrees. In other words, cooking can make a trailer too hot, but it can't make it warm enough when you really need it.

John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #30
Name: Ron
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder

I sit on mine

RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote