Information gathering - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #15
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
I was at a state campground a few weeks ago where they had a few electric sites but most were not. I went for a walk and heard a gen. running. Whats the big deal? I hardly heard it. If you are going to go where people are you are going to constantly hear some one driving buy, setting up, breaking up camp. Dogs, cats, babies, toddlers, teenagers. Adults who act like teenagers. So forth so on. Just my thoughts, by the way i do not think i will ever get a Gen. to many things to carry. Carl

Old 09-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #16
Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
I too yearn for the good ole days when camping meant a tent, a lovely warm wife, zip together down bags, a campfire and a Svea 123. But over the years the ground got harder and dressing lying down became more difficult. Now our Scamp has many comforts of home. Still we smile at the folks who bring, ATVs, gensets, outside TVs, mopeds, 40 foot - multi-slide beasts, and spend most of the time in their rigs. We also smile at nearby tenters, sitting at a picnic table wearing rain gear, eating their warm and soggy meal. Been there and loved it.

To each their own. As Mr. Bennett said, "For what do we live but to make sport of our neighbors and they can laugh at us in their turn" or something like that. When we show off our rig we mostly get two responses, about 50/50, "Too small, we'd kill each other" or "So cool, We want one.". As with most things, YMMV. Thankfully most campers are really nice folks no matter how many toys they bring along, though the fgrv folks are the best.

Forty five years on I still have the lovely warm wife. Yet the bed is softer and the bathroom is 4 steps away. And nature is still amazing, if a bit more crowded. I'm very lucky. Jill is less lucky in her mate, but still always says yes to camping. Life is good.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #17
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
I don't carry a generator; I have enough solar to cover 99% of my needs. While I don't mind the sound of them most of the time, when someone nearby (or in a few cases, all the way across the campground) fires up their open frame construction generator I do cringe.

If I changed my mind & added a generator, it would be one of the quieter inverter generators form Honda or Yamaha. I've walked around campgrounds listening, and found them the quietest. While it would be convenient to be able to run the AC on very hot days, the inconvenience of carrying fuel, the generator itself (I don't have truck) isn't worth it.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #18
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Well, that went sideways very quickly. This thread is closed.

Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Closed Thread