Input needed on TV/dvd type and power source - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Red face Input needed on TV/dvd type and power source

Christmas wish. I want to watch dvd's or news on occasional rainy days while boon docking. What do you recommend? 1. ac/dc tv/dvd combo (tiny sound) means external speakers 2. Regular small TV and dvd player with an Inverter or power from a portable car/charger with a built in inverter. I am on limited budget and need to go the cheapest route. I do not have home cable or anything I can take with me. I have a 13 ft U-Haul camper. Tried the 12 volt car DVD player and could not hear it so took it back to store. Your advise would be appreciated. I am not up on new technology but able to learn.:
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Do you take a computer camping? If so, a USB TV tuner might be just the thing to watch over-the-air tv, and if your machine doesn't already have a DVD drive, and external USB DVD disk drive would allow you to watch DVD's.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
We patch a $5 audio cable from the TV headphone jack over to our radio AUX input jack and have great sound.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
Do you take a computer camping? If so, a USB TV tuner might be just the thing to watch over-the-air tv,...
I thought the same thing.. and have been using one for about a year while camping. But it has been so buggy and frustrating that last week I went out and bought a 15 inch screen TV instead. IMHO, 19 inch screens, while about the same price or even less, are too big for a Scamp.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
In my scamp I have a 19" TV. It is the Side Dinette style. I have the cable hook up right under the bench seat. Then put the TV on the table. Seems to be the best place. You can watch it on the side dinette or in the back bed. TV has a combo dvd, which is nice. I take it back and forth from camper to home use. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #6

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I cut TV cord about 15 years ago... There is nothing to watch on 200+ channels...
Old 12-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I cut TV cord about 15 years ago... There is nothing to watch on 200+ channels...
Not a lot, I agree... but I was very happy to be able to watch the World Series after it got dark at my campsite. What a contest!
Old 12-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Diane, we purchased a 12 volt/ 110 volt AC TV/DVD by "Skywatch" at a LOVES TRUCK STOP (Same price as on the internet but didn't have to pay shipping). We use a cable plugged into the headphone jack with the other end into our JBL Flip 3 Portable speaker, that we also use for our XM Radio. This TV/DVD had a stand, so we just place it on the counter top while in camp, and stow it on the bed while traveling. I only wish it was a Blue-Ray player.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #9

Virginia
Thanks for your responses! Dan, I tried the computer thing, but mine is too old and did not work out. So it sounds like for SIZE : below a 19 inch maybe 15" TV, for SOUND: external speakers, for POWER is still the question. Boon Docking most of the time. I worry about running down my on board battery. Is it more efficient to use a 12 volt TV or buy inverter? Or portable power source like a car charger power center? Many times I camp for a week at a time and need the battery to last, so far so good. I have all LED lights. Only a 15 amp breaker.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Always more efficient to use a power source without changing from DC to AC as the inverters are not 100% efficient. Modern inverters currently consume between 4 and 8 % of the converted energy in the conversion process, which corresponds to an overall efficiency of 92 to 96 %.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 5.0
Maryland
Registry
Insignia from Best Buy

We use an Insigna TV/DVD combo from Best Buy. I think it is 21 inch. It comes with a wall wart power supply. Cut the wall wart off the cord and connect into 12 volts DC. (mind the polarity) Works great. We also use a RCA powered antenna. Looks like a sharks fin. Same arrangement with it's power. Found these units less expensive than the Truck Stop models.

- John
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #12

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
We find a tablet is very watchable, amazingly energy efficient, and can hold several downloaded movies or shows. We have a small Bose Bluetooth speaker.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #13

Virginia
Thank you Johno, I Like your thinking, I have an RCA fin outside antenna it works best for my house. So are you saying cut the cord and wire it to a DC plug? I can do that if that will work. Did not know it was so easy.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Thank you Johno, I Like your thinking, I have an RCA fin outside antenna it works best for my house. So are you saying cut the cord and wire it to a DC plug? I can do that if that will work. Did not know it was so easy.
Yes, it is easy to void your new TV's warranty

But to be less glib, if the wall wart supplies 12 volt DC then this idea usually works OK, but not always. Without getting too technical, sometimes the TV is not tolerant of the voltage variations and purity of DC that might come from the converter, so YMMV. Remember that the converter voltage can exceed 14 or even 15 volts if it has an equalization mode, and the DC waveform likely still has AC characteristics after conversion. It might work fine, or in somewhat uncommon cases it might damage the TV. The safest thing to do is to buy a TV or device that is designed to work on the power supply in an RV or auto. That way the warranty remains valid also.