Ins and outs of dumping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #1

Name: Kyle
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Ins and outs of dumping

Hi there,
I'm a new Scamp owner. It's a great thing.
Brand new to this lifestyle though.
I don't really get the whole grey but especially black water disposal thing. Are there stations randomly located out there where you can just drive in and dump? Do campgrounds always have dumping stations? Can you use them if you aren't camping there at the moment?
I'm sure this is old stuff for most of you veterans, but I'm confused.
I suspect that its improper to just dump in a field out there, yes?
If anyone knows a link to a discussion on this, I'd be grateful!
Kyle Halverson
Minnesota
Springbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Hi Kyle, I'm someone who is very experience re. dumping the grey and black water, will be along shortly to give you good advice. Meanwhile welcome to FGRV.

I can tell you, most campgrounds have dumping stations and there are many other places that are available for free dumping. I believe it might be against the law to dump just 'anywhere' like a field. Don't worry, there will be lots of places where you can take care of this part of your camping experience.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #3

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
normally you can't just use dump stations at commercial camp grounds, without having camped there. I have driven up to a site and paid a small fee $6-or more and then headed down the road. some RV sales and parts centers have free access. Some state rec parks have free dump sites. Bring your hose thru the bath room/shower window for ease of adding water to the toilet while dumping, rather than having to come thru the entrance door on the other side.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quite a few rest areas have dump stations, and I have found quite a few gas stations near freeways that provide them as a way to attract business
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Aliner
Sanidumps lists dump stations by states. Scroll down to the list of states and select the state you want.

Some rest areas we have been in have free dump stations, like the one we stopped at in Alabama a couple of weeks ago.

Mainly, we dump at campgrounds. Even if you aren't camping there, as Kenny said, you can usually pay a small fee to dump.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
rvdumps.com is a site I've used while traveling outside our home state. In Michigan, we pay $10 annual for a state park pass and that gets us into any of the state parks. Camping fees are separate, but we've used state forest and national forest campgrounds and then gone to a state park and dumped for free. You may want to check your state park system to see if that's an option.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Kyle a lot of campgrounds allow you to dump if you are not staying there. You just go in to the office and pay a small fee first.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Dump black 1st then rinse black tank.
Dump grey 2nd then rinse grey tank.
Add 1 cup calgon,1 cup liquid soap and 1 gal water to black tank,wash your hands good, then your done.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
You have to dump it out (of your tank) before you can dump it in (the dump station).
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Kyle, I really recommend taking a camping trip for a weekend to a private campground that has fullhook ups! Stay in a full hook up site. Then, get to know your camping neighbors . Rv'ers are a good group of people. Tell them your a newbie admit you don't have a clue offer them a beer or glass of wine and you will have a new teacher. And, before the weekend is over they will have walked you through all the things you got to do to run your trailer. Us old timer's like to teach you newbies!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Dump black 1st then rinse black tank.
Dump grey 2nd then rinse grey tank.
Add 1 cup calgon,1 cup liquid soap and 1 gal water to black tank,wash your hands good, then your done.
Great advise. I also tend to fill the black tank right up with water just before dumping. If dry camping its a good way to get rid of any extra water in the fresh water tank rather than driving with it.

Only other hint I have is to try to find a way to remember to always close the valve before putting the caps back on the pipes after dumping ........ you dont want to know what happens the next time you go to dump when you have forgotten to do that.

rgrugg I am not clear on what you meant when you said "You have to dump it out (of your tank) before you can dump it in (the dump station)." Could you please explain.... I am wondering if an Egg is perhaps set up differently than a Scamp.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #12

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
carol---it's just an assumption, but my guess is that bob is meaning that one has to "dump"....before they "dump". in other words.....one needs something to be in the tank...
but you know what they say about ass-u-ming!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #13

Registry
dang totally missed that!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #14

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
check state campgrounds a lot are free dumps, and never dump straight on the ground,, that called polution and comes with a hefty fine
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
oh yes,,,,always dump out,,,never dump in,,,,that way lies madness!
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Kevin--is the Calgon liquid or do the beads work? And what kind of liquid soap? (hand, dish washing?). Thanks!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We sometimes pull into the middle of a field of ours to dump when out at our rec land. We do only use an environmentally safe, formaldehyde-free solution in the black tank. I would not recommend doing it just anywhere though, you might just find an irate land owner.

Other than that, I have sourced out a few local free dump stations, most municipally or provincially owned. And if needed, I will pay the $10 (approx) for a commercial dumping station.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #18

Registry
Kyle, I use powder Calgon, what it does is it helps keep things from sticking to the sides of the tank. But another neat trick for getting a blank tank very clean is to dump a bag of ice into the tank and drive home - you can thank Donna for that trick!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Do you do anything similar to the gray water tank to get it cleaned out?
Fran
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
The very fastest way to dump - which does not risk getting yourself dirty or even cause you to touch yukky stuff is to blow a tire and rip off all the plastic plumbing.

The guy in the Ford E250 Van behind you may not be exactly appreciative - but don't ask how I know this.....
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote