Insect Control - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
Insect Control

Okay, I admit it. I have a morbid fear of things that crawl, and this Scamp being my first trailer and all, I couldn't help but notice there seems to be multiple entry points for bugs. One area that caught my attention in particular is the vent/grate (what is the proper term for the piece of metal on the outside of the trailer?) that covers the propane works. Is it permissible or okay or save to line the inside of that cover with some sort of screen?

I searched the forums under insect control but didn't find anything.

Thanks!
Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you have a 3-way refrigerator, that exterior cover has vents for a reason. Cooling is necessary for the refrigerator to work properly. You should not restrict air flow. Some folks have built covers to close off the vents when the trailer is in storage, but not when the trailer/refrigerator is in use. That said, that entire area is sealed off to the interior of the trailer. Bugs won't get in from that hatch.

If you have a propane furnace, you have a vent to the exterior. Some have used these (basically to keep mud daubers, etc. from nesting):
Attached Thumbnails
MudDauberScreen.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You can also go to $ store and get these, same size as sink drains, but you will have to find a spring to attach.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You can also go to $ store and get these, same size as sink drains, but you will have to find a spring to attach.
I used the sink drain from Dollar Tree and added a clip made from pallet banding. I bent it into a U shape (about 1/4" wide by 2" long), drilled a hole at the bend of the U to attach to the screen and added detents near the open end. It just pushes onto the metal band that crosses the opening of my furnace exhaust.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
pictures may help help Thomas, if possible.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
WooHoo!
Another trick if I ever need it.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I have added screen wire to the water heater exhaust vent.I cut the screen to nest on the inside of the vent plus 1" in length and width to allow folding over 1/2" all around to limit wire splinters in fingers, unravelling, and stretching on the bias. I cut strips of 1/2" steel pallet banding with tin snips to lengths which spring or snap into place over the screen in the exhaust window of the water heater. I have had no problem with spider web in the carburation tube since adding the screen.

If you install the bubble screens over furnace ports, purchase or fabricate the coil spring pusher which makes hooking the retention springs to the grid of holes in the port cover possible. You can make one of these very easily with a piece of wire, a wine cork and a needle file. The wire has to be a light gauge. Coat hanger is much too large to insert thru the mesh of the bubble cover. Make a V-notch in the spring pushing end with the triangular or knife edge needle file; use the cork as a handle on the opposite end. Only need to be 3-5" long.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote