Insect/critter screens? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Insect/critter screens?

I must not be using the correct term in the search b/c I know this topic has been discussed before. If somebody could point me in the right direction I'd be greatful! I'm trying to find out what folks use in their vents (fridge, heater, stove etc) to keep insects and rodents out of these areas? Maybe it was a roll of window screen cut to fit? I cant remember now.

Thanks!

Melissa
Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is what I have on my Scamp for a Surburban furnace. Flying Insect Screen
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Oh that is cook. Donna! Hmmmmm, am I the only one who it reminds of fly eyes?? LOL. What do you use for your fridge, stove etc vents?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I haven't had to use anything anywhere else Melissa. In Oregon bugs aren't typically a problem... and slugs don't fly I only put the screens on the furnace vents because paper wasps were trying to build nests there.. but, only there. Whatever you use, just be careful of airflow. Screening can restrict air and in some cases you need plenty of ventilation for appliances to work properly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I covered my furnace vent because Bee's decided to make their home in there. I went to camping world and bought something to fit right over the vent. Never had to cover anything else'

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I used home furnace filter material (comes in a roll, and can be washed & reused, to cover my louvered vents for the refrigerator. I also used the same screen covers that Dona uses over the furnace. I don't have any other vents in my Scamp 13'.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well ok,,, so i'm a little frugal,(wife says CHEEP!) but i trashpicked a couple window screens and scissor cut a piece to fit my furnace cover vent holes when i had my motorhome. but as i said,,,,i'm frugal.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
well ok,,, so i'm a little frugal,(wife says CHEEP!) but i trashpicked a couple window screens and scissor cut a piece to fit my furnace cover vent holes when i had my motorhome. but as i said,,,,i'm frugal.
Wear it as a source of pride. When I need to make something, I go to my local metal recycler. Today I picked up a nice piece of aluminum angle "iron" and a one square foot piece of heavy gauge aluminum plate for $2. They have screen and storm doors there by the hundreds. Lots of stainless steel, too, which is nice for fabricating things that would rust otherwise.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Some people here have gone to $ store and bought metal sink strainers and attach with a spring, depends on your shape requirements. The rv parts suppliers will want $15-$20 for one. You can make one out of metal screen for the furnace and nylon screen for the refer vents.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The instructions on my Dometic fridge vent specifically say not to cover with a screen- seems kinda harsh, but for sure you could cover with screen during storage.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
When I had my fridge out (for what reason I dont recall) I lined the cavity with reflextic, then toward the back I taped in some flaps on the top and sides , and with some closed cell foam stuffed in from the front, and two flapped holes for the electric cord/gas line, think I effectively sealed off the fridge area from little intruders, plus probably increases efficiency of fridge with better chimney effect. The water heater area, the only hole I see is the burner, so that is pretty well sealed, and so far haven't been blessed with anything in my furnace, don't have it screened and personally i wouldn't.
Tom
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote