Insect screen on fridge vents - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Insect screen on fridge vents

We live in an environment of inquisitive wasps seeking any and all openings as new homes. Though I've not yet had an issue with them in my fridge compartment (13' scamp), they have built nests in so many other small openings around our home that I worry about it. Does anyone have experience with these Camco screens https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42154-F.../dp/B00C5SGEQO

The comments suggest they are a bit tricky to install, but my major concern is that the fridge vent is already marginal
in providing adequate ventilation (many owners are installing fans to enhance air movement) and the screens will further inhibit airflow.

Any experience or comments that you might share?
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The biggest problem with any screen if air flow restriction. I can't tell if these are deep enough to overcome the flow restriction. I use a something like that over my furnace exhaust and intake ports, but I know there enough space so that there's no flow restriction. The air flow for the fridge venting is marginal at best and reducing it more could cause some serious problems.
I use a bug stray that supposed to be good for 90 days, I spray the fridge vents about once a month. I had spiders get and build a nest on the propane burner.
I was concerned about wasps getting into the furnace and building nests on the fan. So far nothing has happened there.

FYI I also keep the fridge running all the time, electricity when the trailer's at home and propane when camping.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
They might work just fine sine the vent style has changed.
Give a try and let us know it works.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
... Does anyone have experience with these Camco screens https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42154-F.../dp/B00C5SGEQO

The comments suggest they are a bit tricky to install, but my major concern is that the fridge vent is already marginal
in providing adequate ventilation (many owners are installing fans to enhance air movement) and the screens will further inhibit airflow.

Any experience or comments that you might share?
I have them. They are easy to install. They are not approved by the fridge manufacturers because they might limit air flow too much. I doubt I would use then with a fridge that has a side mounted exhaust. On my Scamp with a roof exhaust vent they have not hindered operation to any noticeable extent so far, but I have not had them very long. If I find my fridge is not cooling well enough I can remove the screens in about 29 seconds, and reinstall them later if I wish.

Make sure you get the right ones.. its a bit tricky to identify the proper model. People who think they are hard to install might have the wrong ones.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:34 PM   #5

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
... Make sure you get the right ones.. its a bit tricky to identify the proper model. People who think they are hard to install might have the wrong ones.
Ditto what Gordon said. We installed them to keep wasps and mud daubers out. I bought the first set on sight at a local RV supply store because they looked like they would fit. They didn't. Ordered a set on-line that were listed to match my fridge vent, and they fit perfectly. A couple plastic strip-ties, and we were in business. We've not noticed a reduction in refrigerator function, but then ours has an auxiliary fan and vents out the top.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Those Camco screens look good and for $20 why hesitate? None made for my fridge so I installed regular polyester screen material from the hardware store with double sided tape and this has been a good solution also. I also put it on the back side of my propane door and bought the round Camco screens for my furnace vents. Airflow/venting has not been an issue with any appliance. Ya gotta keep the bugs out!
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Thanks to all of you for the comments and advice. Not yet certain how I'll proceed with the vent but, as it always is, this forum has been helpful to my consideration. I need to be mindful not to spend too much time fussing with these details to the detriment of hooking up and getting out camping!
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
My Bigfoot used to have a gap where the exterior wall had slumped away from the galley. Insects would enter through the fridge vents (side venting) and access the cabin via that gap. I have since eliminated the gap, but for years I kept out the bugs with no-see-um mesh over the vents. While air flow was restricted the three computer fans that blow the hot air out the top of the vent seemed to allow the fridge to work well enough.

Still, I did not want the mesh up all the time, as insects aren't a problem everywere. I attached sticky-back velcro hook (ITAPE STORE for large quantities) on the trailer exterior wall around the perimeters of both vents. Then I attached sticky-back velcro loop to the velcro hook. After removing the plastic strips from the sticky-back loop I placed no-see-um mesh (Seattle Fabrics or REI) over the sticky back. To permanently affix the sticky-back loop to the mesh I ran a bead of 3M 5200 over the mesh/velcro and topped it with fabric ribbon (Wal-Mart craft aisle).

I would velcro the mesh in place where bugs were a problem. The velcro hook on the trailer exterior lasted about five years before sun rot dictated replacement.
Tim D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I have not done it yet but I am planning using normal fiberglass screen door mesh and heat welding it to the back side of my fridge vent dometic Americana
My current vent is 17 years old and could use a replacement so if it doesn't work. It's not that big of a deal. I heat weld with an old soldering iron
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I did a little quick internet research on the subject of what size of screening you will need to keep out wasp and bees. The keyword term you need for knowing how to order screening in the various sizes of opening between wires is "mesh". A website on pest control stated that for bees you should purchase a #8 mesh. A #8 mesh has openings that are .1000".

The next thing to know is the diameter or the wire you want to use. The smaller diameter wire will be easier to form, the larger the diameter the stiffer your screen will be. A wire diameter of 0.0250" would work nicely on the inside of a fridge vent, be easier to form and the openings in the screen will be large enough not to have a significant restriction on the air flow. If it was going to be one of the screens they put on the exterior over the exhaust from a furnace you would want a heavier wire such as 0.0320.You will also likely see some alloy numbers which would be 304 or 316, they are both good and appropriate to use but 316 is somewhat more corrosion resistant than 304.

As to mounting the screen behind a fridge vent. If you want to attach the wire directly to the back side of the vent cover then polyurethane caulk will work very nicely for an adhesive. It is excellent for adhesion on an irregular surface area and will hold up to heat, cold and the expansion and contraction of materials.

If you can't for some reason attach it to the backside of the vent then cut the screen slightly smaller that the cover but larger than the opening in the RV. Then put a layer of butyl tape onto the fiberglass, gently push in the screen but not all the way in, then put on another layer of butyl tape and then put the cover on. Be sure to use an awl to move any wires out of the way of the screw holes before you try to drive the screw into the holes. With the screen sandwiched between the soft layers of tape everything will still be nice and watertight as all the gaps will fill in.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge