Inside cooking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
I had a gastric sleeve done almost a year ago (I'm down 91lbs) so eating isn't as high on my list...but I have cooked several potluck meals inside this summer. If anything is going to be really greasy I do it on my rocket stove outside. I do recommend a back splash to simplify cleanup.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16' 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door
Lancaster County Pa
It's hard to trust a chef/cook who doesn't eat much !!( Ha Ha ) Thanks I will try different ways of cooking. My wife and I enjoy eating and I am the home chef.

I see your from NJ, I was born and spent 54 years there.

jgraps1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
LOL... yeah I just try not to do anything too greasy inside cause I hate I do it outside on my rocket stove. If people dont want to add a back splash permanently, then I would just use something that could be tucked away in a cabinet or under the table when not needed to help contain the splatter. I do like the idea of opening the window by the stove and turn my fantastic fan to blow inwards and force it out the window. Good Idea!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #18
Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
I added these backsplashes I got at Menards, I think they were $24 each. They had 4-5 styles of each.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Jeff, people have used stainless steel as well as a back splash. They just mounted it over the rat fur (no glue) and took out the window and used its frame and slide it behind the fiberglass above and below to hold it into place.

I also use the stove in my trailer - mostly for breakfast. Not had any problems with staining etc on the rat fur. Evening meals I will usually use it for boiling items or making rice. If the weather is hot I have a small portable outside stove but use the same pots and pans as I use on the trailer stove.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
We cook at Denny's........j/k
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #21
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
We cook at Denny's........j/k
WOW,, They actually let you in the kitchen???
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #22
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Smile Another possibility

Most hardware stores, as far as I know, carry sheet aluminum. I think this would work as it is quite easy to cut with a tin snips.
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #23
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
If one could pick up an older Coleman stove from a garage sale or Craigs list I think the sides and lid would make a servicable if not elegant back splash. Same as they create a windscreen on the coleman stove.

Light, folds up and no worries about mounting. Might want some plastic edge trim or felt on the bottom to protect the counter surface.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #24
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I used a piece of linoleum. Cut out the hole for the window and simply slid it behind the upper cabinet and the lower cabinet. I did have to notch it where cabinet rivets are. It fit fine over the carpeting.

I cook in my trailer all the time, unless it's extremely hot, then I use my old 2 burner coleman outside. I haven't had a problem with grease or odors. I wash the back splash and under the upper cabinet after cooking anything greasy.
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
If you camp with electrical hook-ups a New Wave oven works well and doesn't heat up the place. It also contains all the smell and splatter inside the dome. Unfortunately it is yet another thing to carry. Its easier to clean the New Wave than the trailer. We line the bottom pan with a large single piece of foil and when done lift that out and trash it. That way 90% of the clean-up is done in an instant. It makes great bacon and chicken thighs and can cook biscuits. It works almost as good as the infomerical.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #26
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
While I'll cook inside if the weather forces me to, I prefer to keep the heat, grease, and odors outside. I carry a Coleman combined grill & one burner stove (an older model of this) and a Crusinart TOB 155 toaster oven. The toaster oven is large - fits a 12" pizza. I've baked roasts, chickens, pies, and homemade pizzas in it, usually outside, again to keep the heat of cooking out of the trailer. I did add a 12" ceramic tile that evens the temperatures when baking. Obviously, only useful when I have hookups...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #27
Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
I love to cook and was a little sad that with what I've been interested in there was no room for an oven option especially if I'd be away from home for an extended time. That Cuisinart TOB-155 Toaster Oven looks like an excellent option!
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ginny and I both love to cook and have neither a microwave or toaster oven. We still find ways to make things that usually use an oven, like meatloaf, muffins and even bread items.

The reality is between a crock pot and frying pans we are easily able to prepare a wide range of foods.

Secondarily I will say we don't eat nearly as much as we might (and do) at home. The absence of an oven cuts down on the amount of baked deserts (as Ginny's in the kitchen making a couple dozen cookies and a chocolate cheese cake for a family party) as we do at home. No oven is part of the reason the road is more healthy for me, no temptation.

On the road we do occasionally treat our selves when we find a good bakery or locally interesting products but the amounts we purchase are dramatically less than we might bake.

Another limiting factor is a small fridge. It doesn't hold much which encourages 'smaller' cooking. I would say we typically only cook a real meal every other day or two.

I believe life on the road, particulalry long term periods on the road, require a change in how one lives on many levels. It's full of new opportunities and requires a measure of creative change. I think each successful RV traveler develops a new style that in part leaves something behind for something new ahead.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote