Inside cooking - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #29

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I love to cook and was a little sad that with what I've been interested in there was no room for an oven option especially if I'd be away from home for an extended time. That Cuisinart TOB-155 Toaster Oven looks like an excellent option!
The trouble with electric appliances is they require electricity. Not all places have the correct kind of current bushes. However I can cook anything you can cook in your electric oven in a Dutch Oven no electricity required.

Dutch Oven cooking is fun and gets great comments and questions.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ginny and I went to a Dutch Oven cookoff where for $10 you got a bunch of tickets and you could go from station to station selecting really good food of immense variety.

Great way to cook. Our Volcano Grill comes with a cover converting it into an oven.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #31

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Ginny and I went to a Dutch Oven cookoff where for $10 you got a bunch of tickets and you could go from station to station selecting really good food of immense variety.

Great way to cook. Our Volcano Grill comes with a cover converting it into an oven.

I've used Dutch Ovens at potlucks several times and rarely do I have leftovers. They're a fun way to cook, you're outside, and get lots of nice conversations while cooking.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #32

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
I'll need to check out Dutch ovens and the Volcano. So many choices for different scenarios not only to save money at home but being off grid also. Good choices! Plus it would probably free up space in the camper anyways and offer more flexibility not having an oven in a camper. I use a crockpot often at home when it's cooler outside. Thank you Byron and Norm!

Camp food always seems to be the best anyways! I remember just making Hobo stew wrapped in tinfoil placed in the hot coals of the campfire. So simple and easy yet yummy after a day of exploring! lol
Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #33

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
Take 3 flat cookie sheets (no sides). Hinge them together. Then use this inside behind your stove and sink as a free standing splash guard. Then you can wipe it and put it away or use it outside with your table top grill as a wind break. Works great! Self supporting or folds nicely for storage. I have one that I've used for years.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #34
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Have any of you experience with the "thermal cookers"? Like a crock pot sort of, but doesn't need a current bush. You bring the food to a boil in the inner pot, then put the inner pot into the insulated outer, the food steams itself while you are out hiking all day. Sounds to good to be true, but they say it doesn't cool off, so the food keeps cooking. Saves propane.
Attached Images

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #35
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Oops. Thom posted about the thermal cookers a few months ago.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #36

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Here's a splatter shield from Miles Kimball Spatter Shield - Splatter Guard - Splatter Screen - Miles Kimball. I have no idea how you hinge together cookie sheets.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #37

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
Bacon ? Gee am I the only person using the pre-cooked bacon that only requires 30 secs in the microwave? I Love it - no grease no splatter.
Awesome Backsplash - Deryk did a terrific job on his Parkliner using ceramic tile. (down 91 lbs way to go guy!)
Elaine
Old 08-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #38

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Nope your not on your own. The pre cooked is the only bacon I use inside the trailer. Like it as it doesn't take up fridge space. But I don't have a micro wave just cook it in a frying pan.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #39

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
I bought a dutch oven last year. I'm taking it with me this weekend. It really is a neat way to cook and there are groups all over the country willing to share their cooking "secrets". We have one here that meets once a month- I really should join them!
So many things -so little time!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #40

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by partslady9 View Post
Bacon ? Gee am I the only person using the pre-cooked bacon that only requires 30 secs in the microwave? I Love it - no grease no splatter.
Awesome Backsplash - Deryk did a terrific job on his Parkliner using ceramic tile. (down 91 lbs way to go guy!)
Elaine
That's the only type wife buys. Quick and easy.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #41
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I'm concerned about the same issue and have not yet resolved it. I'm on the lookout for a 10" spatter screen to place over our 10" skillet when cooking foods that splatter. They seem to only come in a larger size. Short of a splatter guard I'm thinking of using a lid. My skillet did not come with a lid, so I'm on the lookout at thrift stores.

I'm thinking of installing quilted stainless steel Frigo Design 30 in. x 30 in. Quilted Stainless-Steel Backsplash-HQ3030SS at The Home Depot on the back wall. It'll be easy to clean and look "retro-cool". It's a little pricey and I don't have the skills to cut and install.

A less expensive solution would be a counter mat attached with industrial strength Velcro. Frigo Design 30 in. x 30 in. Quilted Stainless-Steel Backsplash-HQ3030SS at The Home Depot

Perhaps a retro linoleum flooring pattern or retro laminate would be cool. I think we could easily get a small piece that a flooring or laminate store would give away.

I'm curious to see what other responses you get.
We use a "pressed tin" design ceiling tile (comes in a 2x4 foot piece) that's actually made of flexible plastic. Curves nicely to fit the wall and wipes off easily.

DCT 0309 Faux Tin Ceiling Panel | 2ft x 4ft | Colors Available

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I’m a lot about the process. Camping memories flow from the jet-like roar of the SVEA camp stove from my backpacking days. Later, the squeak-squeak of priming a Coleman gas stove or lantern means camping. Along similar lines, the smell of cooking bacon adds to my experience. I’ve already cut out the SVEA and Coleman gas experience; present me with a plate of nuked bacon, or nuked corn on the cob and you’ve just cut out the last half the experience to me. Too sterile.