Inside cooking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16' 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door
Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Inside cooking

I recently purchased my 16' scamp new and I see it has fabric(rat fir ?)on the walls and ceiling.I know when I cook at home grease settles on the hood and all around.It needs to be cleaned afterwards.I'm thinking I don't want to cook inside my camper because of this. I thought maybe I can put a metal back drop behind the stove. Can I put this over that material ?? What about the ceiling ?? I don't want my camper to smell like food all the time.This may be a problem in bear country !!
jgraps1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
That's why I took my stove out. I only cook outdoors. I do make coffee inside though. I mean, who doesn't like the smell of coffee?
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I cooked inside on the stove once. It was so hot - I had to get out of the kitchen! We bought a tabletop propane grill and moved the production outside. I too will make coffee inside- or use a microwave.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We make breakfast every morning and each have a strip of bacon and an egg, basically 7 days a week. Opening the windows removes the bacon smell rather quickly, no lingering effect.

We do not have a stove back splash or protection, Certainly a good idea.

Our wall carpeting seems to have stood up pretty well. We've only had it for 3 years but have used it over 700 days in that 3 years, maybe 10 years of typical camping..

Using all three burners at once adds a lot of heat to the trailer, particularly as the sun heats up. If we cook when it's warm we flip on the AC.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Open the window above the stove, Then run the fantastic fan blowing in.
This pushes cooking fumes out very efficiently.
I don't cook on my stove quite as often as Norm & Ginny, but my wife cooks for potlucks at every rally and our experience echoes theirs.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We mostly cook inside. There's cooking and then there's cooking. If you cook a lot of greasy meat in skillet I can see where it might be a problem. Bacon I think would be the worst. We don't cook or eat bacon at all and greasy hamburger is cooked outside. We don't cook or eat a lot of meat. The last steak we had I cooked in a pie iron.

A word about the fabric, it's a synthetic marine fabric. It doesn't seem to hold odor and cleans easily. I've not found any grease on the bottom of the cabinets above the stove. We do have a small window over the stove, between the cabinet and the stove. That window is always open. The once or twice where we had a lot cooking odor we simply opened all the windows and the door for a day. If the fabric should someday hold odor it'll wash with carpet cleaner. Hasn't been necessary in almost 8 years.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm concerned about the same issue and have not yet resolved it. I'm on the lookout for a 10" spatter screen to place over our 10" skillet when cooking foods that splatter. They seem to only come in a larger size. Short of a splatter guard I'm thinking of using a lid. My skillet did not come with a lid, so I'm on the lookout at thrift stores.

I'm thinking of installing quilted stainless steel Frigo Design 30 in. x 30 in. Quilted Stainless-Steel Backsplash-HQ3030SS at The Home Depot on the back wall. It'll be easy to clean and look "retro-cool". It's a little pricey and I don't have the skills to cut and install.

A less expensive solution would be a counter mat attached with industrial strength Velcro. Frigo Design 30 in. x 30 in. Quilted Stainless-Steel Backsplash-HQ3030SS at The Home Depot

Perhaps a retro linoleum flooring pattern or retro laminate would be cool. I think we could easily get a small piece that a flooring or laminate store would give away.

I'm curious to see what other responses you get.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Oops, here's the link to the counter mat. Non Slip Counter Mat - Non Slip Kitchen Mat - Walter Drake
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #9

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Re: metal counter-top mat

I have one these at my cabin and the metal wears off rather quickly leaving black spots. It might be okay for a backsplash though as it wouldn't have pots placed on it.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I purchased a fully-self contained trailer because I got tired of being a tent camper. Schlepping stuff in and out of the garage got very old. Now I hook up and go. Everything I need is inside the trailer. Why take two of everything to cook/clean when everything you need is inside? YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
With you Donna. Our trailer came with all the outside cooking equipment. For us there's no reason to carry two stoves.

As to cooking inside we open the window over the stove and it seems to do the job. I am impressed by the Scamp's interior surface, anything that can last 22 years and still look great is impressive.

The only thing that could top it for me is a fiberglass surface.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #12

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I don't have a Scamp nor do I have ratfur in my camper it is all smooth fiberglass inside with metal cook stove and metal hood. I cook inside often and it does warm the trailer up pretty quick which is great in the winter, fall, and spring but in the summer can get a bit much. Usually in June, July, and August I will break out my outdoor stove and cook outside. I make a lot of bacon and I have never noticed the smell lingering in the camper any longer then it would if lets say you made bacon at home. Like some of the other posters that have chimed in a have a portable fantastic fan that I can put in the window or in the doorway and either blow air in or blow air out and it does a great job circulating the air around the camper. The back splash and hood do get greasy if cooking stuff that is greasy but it wipes off very easily. I am not sure how well that would clean up off of ratfur however. I did read some posts not long ago where someone did cover up the ratfur with some type of back splash and said it worked out well but I can't recall the post or find it again. If I find it I will post a link here.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #13

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Well I must say all of these responses are very helpful.Gilda thanks for those links that's just what I am looking for.I think a nice back splash would work perfectly.Lowes has the quilted pattern in smaller tiles which may be easier to work with on the walls,I hope I can get it to stick over the fabric.I want to keep it there for insulation purposes.

I do find the need to carry different cooking equipment.You never know when you will need to use a different method.I like to cook outside as much as possible but we all know that is not always possible.

I like all your thoughts and ideas,now it's up to me to implement them.I only need money to buy what I need and a place to do the work.It's hard to do work on some things when the trailer is in an outdoor storage yard.

Norn and Ginny,keep traveling and enjoying the country and keep writing to us about it. I love reading what you write, and how you write !

Thanks again to everyone for all this very helpful input.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #14

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Looking again at the back splash tile available at Lowes it is made of thermoplastic. They are heat resistant to 140 degrees. ?????? Must watch that your pot doesn't get to close to the wall when on the fire !!! This could be a problem !???
Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I had a gastric sleeve done almost a year ago (I'm down 91lbs) so eating isn't as high on my list...but I have cooked several potluck meals inside this summer. If anything is going to be really greasy I do it on my rocket stove outside. I do recommend a back splash to simplify cleanup.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #16

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
It's hard to trust a chef/cook who doesn't eat much !!( Ha Ha ) Thanks I will try different ways of cooking. My wife and I enjoy eating and I am the home chef.

I see your from NJ, I was born and spent 54 years there.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #17

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
LOL... yeah I just try not to do anything too greasy inside cause I hate cleaning...so I do it outside on my rocket stove. If people dont want to add a back splash permanently, then I would just use something that could be tucked away in a cabinet or under the table when not needed to help contain the splatter. I do like the idea of opening the window by the stove and turn my fantastic fan to blow inwards and force it out the window. Good Idea!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #18

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I added these backsplashes I got at Menards, I think they were $24 each. They had 4-5 styles of each.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jeff, people have used stainless steel as well as a back splash. They just mounted it over the rat fur (no glue) and took out the window and used its frame and slide it behind the fiberglass above and below to hold it into place.

I also use the stove in my trailer - mostly for breakfast. Not had any problems with staining etc on the rat fur. Evening meals I will usually use it for boiling items or making rice. If the weather is hot I have a small portable outside stove but use the same pots and pans as I use on the trailer stove.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
We cook at Denny's........j/k
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote