Inside Cushion Covers Flaking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Burro
Pennsylvania
Inside Cushion Covers Flaking

I got a set of original 1980’s era Burro cushions. I took the foams out to wash the covers and treat the foam.

On the inside of all the covers appears to be old dried up adhesive or something. Does anyone know what it is or how to remedy it.

As it is, the washed cushions are hanging one the line, but if you touch them you get a dust storm from whatever that is inside that’s deteriorated

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	124591
Tricky Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Burro
Pennsylvania
No one has had a similar finding in their old original cushions?
Tricky Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #3

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact II
Oregon
Although I'm guessing, suspect the life of the covers is ended. Some new (outdoor) fabric might give you an opportunity to create a new look.
LarryTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #4

Name: Gayle
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Illinois
I have had that problem in both sailboat cushions & an old sofa I owned for a long time. I discarded the fabric & reupholstered both the boat and sofa cushions. I'm just today completing the foam replacement for my sailboat cushions.

I use www.sailrite.com for my supplies. They have a good selection of fabrics and supplies needed in making cushions. Additionally, you'll find lots of "how to" videos on their site demonstrating very clearly the steps in completing projects using their products.

Upholstering cushions is much easier than sewing clothing. The old cushion covers have to be seam ripped into individual pieces. Those pieces provide the pattern for cutting the new covers. If the foam is still in good condition, I add a layer of polyester batting to give "loft" and restuff the new cushions into the old foam. Covering the foam & batting with a drycleaner's plastiac bag or upholstery help to slip the cushion into the new cushion.
GayleBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #5

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Eggcamper
Kansas
Yep, it sounds like there was a coating on the inside of your fabric (very common for upholstery fabric and/or outdoor fabric) that has lost its life. If you can live with the dust, put the covers back on and use until the fabric splits. Or, even better, have new covers made, because you're going to need them soon-ish anyway.
Ruban&Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #6

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Thanks, Gayle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleBooth View Post
I have had that problem in both sailboat cushions & an old sofa I owned for a long time. I discarded the fabric & reupholstered both the boat and sofa cushions. I'm just today completing the foam replacement for my sailboat cushions.

I use www.sailrite.com for my supplies. They have a good selection of fabrics and supplies needed in making cushions. Additionally, you'll find lots of "how to" videos on their site demonstrating very clearly the steps in completing projects using their products.

Upholstering cushions is much easier than sewing clothing. The old cushion covers have to be seam ripped into individual pieces. Those pieces provide the pattern for cutting the new covers. If the foam is still in good condition, I add a layer of polyester batting to give "loft" and restuff the new cushions into the old foam. Covering the foam & batting with a drycleaner's plastiac bag or upholstery help to slip the cushion into the new cushion.

Wow, lots of good info & tips here. They'll come in handy when I re-cover the cushions in my Bigfoot. Thanks!
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:07 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
The 80's fabric has timed out Michael, time for some new covers.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Its common to use plastic wrap around the foam to facilitate getting it inside the fabric.. perhaps it is ~35 year old plastic sheet / bag?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #9

Name: Gayle
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
Wow, lots of good info & tips here. They'll come in handy when I re-cover the cushions in my Bigfoot. Thanks!
I just reread my post (something I should have done before posting) and noticed I left out “silk” upholstery wrap in the section where I discussed putting foam back into the foam cushions. I’ve always used dry cleaner plastic bags in the past but am trying the thin silk this go round. The honest truth is that I don’t have dry cleaner bags since my retirement lifestyle doesn’t require deycleaner services! Nice lifestyle.
GayleBooth is offline   Reply With Quote