Inside Door Lock for '98 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Inside Door Lock for '98 Scamp

The door handle / lock assembly on our '98 Scamp can only be locked from the outside. Was this standard or did someone stick a funky door lock on there sometime in the past? Suggestions?

As always... Thanks!

Gary
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
There should be a small hole on the inside unit that you slip a pin into to lock it from the inside. Normally, the pin hangs from a short chain.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
However new inside latches from scamp come without the hole pre-drilled. You have to drill your own hole for the cotter pin.

Nice to be able to lock trailer when inside but....
Hinges are on the outside, you can remove door easily which is a good thing because.... If you put the pin in the lock with the door open and it closes your locked out. Key locks outside handle but does nothing to unlock the pin on a chain.
Don't ask how I know.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #4

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
... Don't ask how I know.
Heh... How DO you know?

No hole for a pin on our assembly. I may look at putting in some sort of latch assembly on the inside, but the wall are all so curvey there...
Old 07-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
Heh... How DO you know?

No hole for a pin on our assembly. I may look at putting in some sort of latch assembly on the inside, but the wall are all so curvey there...
You just need a small (aprox. 1/8 inch) hole under the inside door handle mechanism. Hole goes through front and back of the inside latch and into inside of door a little bit. Advise a little tape on the drill bit as a marker to make sure you don't go too deep and through the door.

When a cotter pin is inserted through hole, inside handle can not go down, door won't unlatch.

Typically a little piece of decorative chain is used to attach the cotter pin to a screw that holds the latch to the door. Pin just hangs there, hardly noticed.

Ummm replaced door latch inside and out. Had the cotter pin in when I closed the door to try the key. Knew as soon as latch clicked that I was about to pay a "fools tax". Was not hard to remove the two hinge pins and take the door off. Tax paid in full.

I could post picture if you would like.
Scamp store online says on the item that it is without the hole.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #6

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
You just need a small (aprox. 1/8 inch) hole under the inside door handle mechanism. Hole goes through front and back of the inside latch and into inside of door a little bit. Advise a little tape on the drill bit as a marker to make sure you don't go too deep and through the door.

When a cotter pin is inserted through hole, inside handle can not go down, door won't unlatch.

Typically a little piece of decorative chain is used to attach the cotter pin to a screw that holds the latch to the door. Pin just hangs there, hardly noticed. <snip>
Thanks! I was just going to write an "umm...just WHERE do I drill the hole" note. I'll root around down in the basement parts bins (organized? You have to be kidding!!) for an appropriate pin and then drill the hole to match. You known...just thinking...I could attach the chain that holds the pin to the frame around the door. The chain would then stretch across the door opening and you couldn't get out (well not easily) without removing the pin from the latch and letting it dangle on the end of the retaining chain.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok,,,not being a smarty britches,,,,at least this time but....why do you want to lock it if your inside?

john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
ok,,,not being a smarty britches,,,,at least this time but....why do you want to lock it if your inside?

John, didn't you ever see the movie The Shining? Heeeeeeer's Johnnny!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
lol,,,i just got a brain picture of jack totaly stymied by ax proof fiberglass,,,,lol

"come on guys....i'm back,,,,let me in...."
( what the heck is this damn egg made of anyway?....whack ,whack, whack)
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #10

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
lol,,,i just got a brain picture of jack totaly stymied by ax proof fiberglass,,,,lol

"come on guys....i'm back,,,,let me in...."
( what the heck is this damn egg made of anyway?....whack ,whack, whack)
And THAT got me thinking about when my wife took out the hot tub her ex had put in. She tried a sledge hammer on it... just bounced off. A SawzAll took it down to the concrete in no time. Trust me... I do not annoy my wife! Any gal that knows how to use a SawzAll...just sayin...

Anyway, it's just a little extra security having a lock on the inside. As much as we'd like to say we live in a perfect world, we don't, and nut jobs DO occasionally show up at campgrounds. And of course... there ARE times when you want to lock the door!
Old 09-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #11

Name: Bobbi
Trailer: Scamp 13
Maine
Locking Scamp from inside

I'm a musician. Sometimes I have to park in very unfamiliar neighborhoods. Locking from the inside seems more legal and safe than, say, sleeping with a gun.
Bobbilane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbilane View Post
Locking from the inside seems more legal and safe than, say, sleeping with a gun.

Lock AND gun. At least down here in Dixie!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The whole set-up is really pretty lightweight. It would only slow down a determined thief or neighborhood nut case. Long enough to dial 911 or load your gun, but probably not both… The inside pin is useful to keep me from barging in when my wife or girls are changing, though!

Roger, I've tried to train my crew not to slam the door closed, but to turn the handle, push the door closed gently, and release the handle. Saves wear & tear and may prevent… ahem… other difficulties.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #14

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1410150856.748362.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	76136

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The whole set-up is really pretty lightweight. It would only slow down a determined thief or neighborhood nut case. Long enough to dial 911 or load your gun, but probably not both… The inside pin is useful to keep me from barging in when my wife or girls are changing, though!
Keep you car key's close by the bed and hit the panic button on the key fob will set the car alarm off.... thats enough added security for me.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
You can purchase an inexpensive slide type bolt latch at Home Depot or Lowes and install it in a few minutes. That way you simple slide the latch closed when you're asleep. Another user also puts a cowbell on her door as a secondary deterrent. I think it's prudent that you ask these questions, I don't blame you! Nobody wants to go to sleep knowing that anyone could easily open the door.
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp