Inside Roof dipping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #1

Name: Earl
Trailer: shopping
California
Red face Inside Roof dipping

Hey everyone, I just bought this 1976 Scamp from Kristi in AZ and am in the process of rebuilding it. On the inside the roof has dipped down in two spots and will collect water when it rains. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I was thinking about adding a large fiberglass patch to the whole roof on the inside might fix this problem. This trailer needs to be overhauled on the outside (gelcoated, paint, cracks fixed)
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
First thing I would do is decide if you want to brace for a roof top air conditioner because now is the time to do it. Then I would clean the inside and lightly sand the surface. Figure out where I need the braceing and prop the roof up with a piece of thin 3/16" plywood at the roof and a pole to the floor where ever needed. The thin plywood would spread the load and conform to the the roof curve. then to put in reinforcing I would get some 1/2" round closed cell foam backer rod and hot melt glue that foam rod to the roof to create the form for an insulated rib accross the roof. Now I would wet out some 6 to 9 oz fiberglass tape maybe 6" wide with epoxy and adheare that to the roof over the foam rod the whole length. Form this tape around the rod and flat against the roof I would bring this new fiberglass accross the whole width of the trailer and bring it at least half way down the radius in the corners. This will create a stiff beam that is only slightly higher than 1/2" I would use a couple of layers of fiberglass. When you redo the inside your first layer of reflextic insulation you can glue between any ribs you have made and then the second layer of reflectic glued over everything to help hide the hump. When you cover with the rat fir things should come out fairly smooth. Thats the way I would approach this problem.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Why did the roof dip down? Did someone try to put a roof A/C on when there isn't any supports for it? Just adding fiberglass isn't going to help. You're going to need to build some sort of supports that either push up the roof or hold it in place before you fiberglass.

Pictures?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote