Inspected an Amerigo today and have some confusion and concerns - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #29

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
It's something to consider. I'm trying to remember...but it's not as expensive as you might expect. Not like a truck or something. If you bring it to a trailer shop, it'll be reasonable. If you bring to an RV shop, it'll be ridiculously expensive...

ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #30

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Registry
Thumbs up Casters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Wow, nice job. And nice photos.

Yeah Kaat expect that almost no matter what you'll be doing some modifications. I put a new axle on my Bigfoot first thing after buying it to raise it a little higher off the ground. Honestly, though a lot of people think about it for dirt roads, the clearance is really more helpful getting in & out of parking lots & gas stations. Those dips in the road will get you way more often than any dirt road.

I probably take my trailer down crazier roads than most, and I can tell you that you quickly hit a point where you realize any road that requires more clearance than a very slightly lifted trailer can handle is not a road you should be pulling your trailer down. It's the reason I've pretty much stopped bringing my trailer to southern Utah and opted for tent camping when I go there. I want to get down those roads...

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootflux View Post
Thanks Tony and Zach! I certainly don't intend to go crazy with the off roads, at least drop the trailer somewhere safe beforehand. But after seeing how low that Amerigo sat, I winced at the thought of those parking lots/gas stations. I didn't even think about replacing the axle... hmm.

Although I've personally never installed them on my trailers I've seen that some folks bolted casters on the bottom of their rear bumpers to engage and thus roll through gas station exit canyons. Seems like cheap insurance against hard pavement related scrapes but not much effect on soft dirt roads. I've also seen trailers with steel "skis" underneath designed to guard against just such hazards. Since I now have a larger trailer I've become cautiously aware of gas station entry/exits before pulling into them.

When contemplating a boondocking site in new territory, checking out an unknown dirt road on foot or on my mountain bike has become Standard Operating Procedure before committing to a drive in. Past hard lessons have since been duly applied, thankfully contributing to safe, stress-free camping.

Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #31

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
My axle was/is good, but I added the 3" lift from OMW on my SD. Not so much for the off road clearance, but for the MANY more driveway aprons you end up using just getting from point A to B. Even if you should decide to replace the axle I'd add a lift too, just cuz. It also made no difference to the handling or mileage.

Good advice!

Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amerigo