Install a cargo carrier on tail of a Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #1

Name: j
Trailer: Currently Shopping"
Alabama
Install a cargo carrier on tail of a Casita

I have been wanting to carry two bicycles on rear of my Casita. It is a Liberty Deluxe 17 foot.Have a bumper (hollow) and the spare above it. Are there any ideas as where to look for a carrier to install for this? (Or any other ideas)? Thanks
bubblelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Casita will tell you NOT to mount a rack on the bumper. It is not strong enough.

We had a 2" receiver custom built. It had a 3 point weld, 2 points forward on the frame and angle iron welded to the bumper to provide extra support there. With 2 bikes mounted, we had a very good tongue weight to totaI weight ratio (10%).

2004 Georgetown 326DS
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi J, Perfect Casita makes a pretty good add on rear hitch. Not sure if that's the way you want to go but it may work for you if you watch how you load the trailer for travel.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:18 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There is a bolt on hitch available from Amazon. Made by Orbital Machine Works I think. Just saw one on a 2013 Casita in the campground we are at. Looks good.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
Casita will tell you NOT to mount a rack on the bumper. It is not strong enough.

We had a 2" receiver custom built. It had a 3 point weld, 2 points forward on the frame and angle iron welded to the bumper to provide extra support there. With 2 bikes mounted, we had a very good tongue weight to totaI weight ratio (10%).

2004 Georgetown 326DS
Agree, would go with the custom 2" receiver. Then you don't have to worry if it's strong enough. If you know someone that works in welding; get something set up. This is what I did on my 19' Scamp. I always say you should set up your unit to your needs. I had a friend help weld one on. Then I added a modified storage box carrier with another receiver on the rear of that so I could carry my aluminum beach cart behind the storage box. Works great with no problems with camper sway. Here is the shortcut to my Mod. Good luck and let us know how it goes. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ier-64672.html
Old 12-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
There is a bolt on hitch available from Amazon. Made by Orbital Machine Works I think. Just saw one on a 2013 Casita in the campground we are at. Looks good.
Orbital are members here and they make a very well designed hitch. I purchased one and could not be happier with the service and the product. Was also very impressed as to how well they packaged it up for shipping as well as the clear installation instructions. As others have indicated though there is a pretty low weight limits set by the trailer manufactures as to how much weight can be added to the hitch. I would for example never put two heavy bikes back there - if I put two bikes back there they are going to be fairly light - under 17lb road bikes for example.

Not to mention that putting weight at the rear of the trailer its a great way to create a very unstable tow - nothing more heart stopping than the trailer swaying around. If you have not towed previously make sure you do your homework on appropriately stowing your trailer before loading anything on the rear of the trailer. For everything you put back there you will need to make sure you add some weight up at or just ahead of the trailers axle - that will add weight to the trailers tongue which means checking that your tow vehicle has the specs/ability to carry that extra tongue weight needed for a stable tow. Keep in mind that the permanently mounted hitch itself adds weight to the rear of the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
cargo box

You mean like this? I have the welding details in a PDF format, but can't attach. PM me with email and I'll forward the PDF
Attached Thumbnails
Amast.JPG   bumper.JPG  

LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Linda, you should be able to attach the PDF, as seen in the attach files section:
Valid file extensions: 3gp 3gp2 asf aiff avi mp4 mov mpeg mpg wmv ogg bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #9

Donna, It's 555kb and appears to be to big.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK Gray View Post
Donna, It's 555kb and appears to be to big.
kb? or lbs? would be worried with that much weight that one good bump would twist the frame or worse
Old 01-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
kb? or lbs? would be worried with that much weight that one good bump would twist the frame or worse
I was referring to the size of the PDF
Old 01-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK Gray View Post
I was referring to the size of the PDF
that explains a lot! Was wondering what the heck that rack was made out of!
Old 01-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #13

Trailer:
So what is the maximum size of PDF that can be safely attached to the back of a trailer without affecting its stability?
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #14

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Orbital are members here and they make a very well designed hitch. I purchased one and could not be happier with the service and the product. Was also very impressed as to how well they packaged it up for shipping as well as the clear installation instructions.
That would be us.
You can see the hitch here Casita Hitch Receiver
And some info on tongue weight etc in our FAQs here: FAQs

Thanks,

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Another issue with bikes on the rear is that they may block visibility of the tail lights. I installed a rear receiver and bike rack on our Uhaul camper. No handling issues but I did install an extra set of lights on the rack. Bikes bounce a lot on the rear, bent one rack I had so I ended up building my own. Didn't have time to make or buy a receiver for our newly acquired Casita before heading south, but I did install a stop / turn / marker light bar over the rear window. Will do the same on the Uhaul.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Generator Security, Casita Add-ons.. The Perfect Casita by Orbital Machine Works See attached link for a custom Casita hitch.
JOHN BUSCH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita