Installing a Backup Camera on the TV License Plate - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
My wife gave me a wireless backup camera and monitor for Christmas. The camera is fixed in place on a license plate frame, so I'll just have to replace the current frame and wire up the power. However, the license plate frame itself is angled in at the top and this would seem to be aiming the camera way above the hitch. We have a 2003 VW Eurovan and the license plate is on the lift-up back door.

Any suggestions for making this get the right view? If I put spacers in the top license plate holes to bring the plate out to vertical or beyond, I won't be able to open the back hatchdoor since the handle is right above the license plate. My fingers wouldn't fit in the space to operate the handle.

The camera is not adjustable on the frame, either. It is fixed at 90 degrees from the plate frame. I was thinking of cutting the bottom half of the camera/frame and just mounting that over the lower half of the current license plate frame, but that's going to look plenty odd, especially with the increased vertical orientation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	License_Plate_Frame.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	25696
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Can't use one in Texas.

The camera (bottom of license frame) covers up the word Texas on my license plate.

That's illegal here in Texas.

P.S. Newer license plates have Texas on top. It would be OK for them.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
aren't those intended to go on the trailer, not the tug?

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #4

I use mine to hook up the Casita. I made some brackets to raise the camera as can been seen in the attachment. My son tried to utilize one with his fifth wheel but the distance was too great to get good reception.
Alan #1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
I use mine to hook up the Casita. I made some brackets to raise the camera as can been seen in the attachment. My son tried to utilize one with his fifth wheel but the distance was too great to get good reception.
Attached Thumbnails
Camera.jpg  
Alan #1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Kevin,

Would it be possible to mount the camera on a magnet and then when you need it put the magnet on the license plate ?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Thanks for the comments and suggestions thus far. Since the camera is attached to the license plate frame, I can't do the bracket route quite as easily. Also, I don't know if magnets might interfere with the wireless signal. Could be worth a try. I would need to have a quick hook-up/unhook connection for the the permanent wiring, though. Gina, this was marketed to put right above the trailer hitch on the TV so that you can see when the connection is lined up. Putting it on the trailer won't give the view I need or have the continuous power (no battery in the trailer!).

Just had a new thought... maybe the bracket idea would work. I would have to cut the lower part of the license plate frame off, leaving the camera and screw holes on the bottom piece. Then maybe I could attach a padded bracket (so as not to scratch the door paint) BELOW the license plate, attaching to the lower license plate holes that aren't current used for anything. This would clear the door handle and possible give me the lower angle for better viewing. This would put the camera just below the current license plate frame. It's a possibility!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
If you mount on the trailer that dosn't have a battery, you could hook it up to the trailer light circuit. Just do as I do and always tow with the lights on. ( not a bad idea in any case )

What brand is strong enough to carry the signal from the back of the trailer ?
Judith Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Adding my two cents here - I purchased the camera, so that I can give up my job as directing the hookup. It makes me nervous, so I bought the two balls that match up when the trailer is lined up with a backkup camera system to help out. I tried to get a camera that was easy to install and could just connected to the license plate light. So much for that logic.

CindyL