Installing A/C through the wall advice wanted - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-10-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Posts: 107
Installing A/C through the wall advice wanted

Hi Group

I am in the process of repairing damage to the floor in the wardrobe closet where a window air conditioner had been installed previously. The condensation dripped onto the floor, thus damaging it from water. I would like to put an A/C back in that location but I want advice on how others overcame the condensation issue. I know I want to install a drip tray with a hose that will allow the condensation to drip on the ground under the unit.

I have searched the site but have not found what I was looking for. Perhaps I did not look hard enough. If anyone has done this or can direct me to a thread, I would greatly appreciate it.

I know many of the new compact RV's have these units installed with success so I know it is doable.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
Michael
__________________

__________________
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Member
 
Jay B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Posts: 30
Registry
I installed an a/c unit in the bottom of the closet of my 13' Scamp when doing my remodel. Here are the pictures of the install:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1127553...ImBuNyD7oSB1gE#

Created the drain pan by cutting pieces from a fiberglass sheet and putting it together with fiberglass. Made the drain tube really long so I could run it out the floor and over to the other side of the trailer so we didn't step into the condensation puddle.
__________________

__________________
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. View Post
I installed an a/c unit in the bottom of the closet of my 13' Scamp when doing my remodel. Here are the pictures of the install:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1127553...ImBuNyD7oSB1gE#

Created the drain pan by cutting pieces from a fiberglass sheet and putting it together with fiberglass. Made the drain tube really long so I could run it out the floor and over to the other side of the trailer so we didn't step into the condensation puddle.
That is great Jay!

Thanks for the speedy reply. I especially like the catch pan you fabricated with the long drain hose. I was going to do the same so I would not have a puddle by the door. What you did was obviously a labor of love. I will be using some of your ideas. Though my A/C unit is a bit different than yours, the principle remains the same. My unit came with a very large louvered vent already but I did tape a piece of screen over the inside to thwart an invasion of insects seeking shelter inside during the construction phase. I will be improving the mounting of the screen as this part of the build progresses.

Thank you
Michel
__________________
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Posts: 692
Two things come to mind, don't restrict the air flow to much with screen and make sure you have a way of cleaning that long drain hose. ( They do like to plug up )

Bill K


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
That is great Jay!

Thanks for the speedy reply. I especially like the catch pan you fabricated with the long drain hose. I was going to do the same so I would not have a puddle by the door. What you did was obviously a labor of love. I will be using some of your ideas. Though my A/C unit is a bit different than yours, the principle remains the same. My unit came with a very large louvered vent already but I did tape a piece of screen over the inside to thwart an invasion of insects seeking shelter inside during the construction phase. I will be improving the mounting of the screen as this part of the build progresses.

Thank you
Michel
__________________
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Member
 
Jay B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Posts: 30
Registry
Drain hose is accessable and already have a wire that will run the length of it should (when) it gets clogged. To insure that enough air was getting in, I installed an inline fan that draws plenty of air to supply the unit. The last picture shows a switch below the a/c unit. This supplies power to both the air conditioner and the inline fan. No way to run one without the other so it always gets enough air.
__________________
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Member
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Two Trillium Jubilees and a Trillium 1300
Ontario
Posts: 53
Send a message via MSN to Bill Reilly
Air Conditioner Installation

Mike:
I didn't have an air conditioner in the Trillium that I purchased so I had to find a place to put one. I opted for the rear wall under the dinette. Despite some early warnings about lack of air flow, it has worked out very well.
I made a wooden cover for it and hinged it from the rear bumper. I had to weld on a new spare tire bracket to accomodate this.
I plan to make a mould and produce a fibreglass cover for this unit sometime this fall or next winter
I have many other photos of this modification. If you (or anyone else ) is interested, let me know and I'll upload them onto Picasa.

The Picasa link:

picasaweb.google.com/billreilleh Click on AC Cover

Bill Reilly
__________________
Bill Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Reilly View Post
Mike:
I didn't have an air conditioner in the Trillium that I purchased so I had to find a place to put one. I opted for the rear wall under the dinette. Despite some early warnings about lack of air flow, it has worked out very well.
I made a wooden cover for it and hinged it from the rear bumper. I had to weld on a new spare tire bracket to accomodate this.
I plan to make a mould and produce a fibreglass cover for this unit sometime this fall or next winter
I have many other photos of this modification. If you (or anyone else ) is interested, let me know and I'll upload them onto Picasa.

The Picasa link:

picasaweb.google.com/billreilleh Click on AC Cover

Bill Reilly
Hi Bill

That's what I like about this forum. So many crafty people helping each other out.

I am formulating a plan in my mind to create an intake manifold that would draw air in from outside through a vent that a previous owner installed. Though it is patched, at least I won't have to cut a hole. I am thinking about using some silver flexible dryer vent hose (4 in)

Here are some pics of the louvered aluminum cover with screen taped over it temporarily, and the dryer vent outside. The hole inside is patched with something with blue stripes on it. I also included a couple of pics of my finished floor repair. I don't like the fumes from the fiberglass resin at all.
Attached Thumbnails
IM001527.jpg   IM001529.jpg  

IM001530.jpg   IM001531.jpg  

__________________
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Member
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Two Trillium Jubilees and a Trillium 1300
Ontario
Posts: 53
Send a message via MSN to Bill Reilly
Error in web address

Mike:

I sent you an incorrect web address re my AC pictures . It should have been:

picasaweb.google.com/billreillyeh

I left the 'y' out of reilly ! ( Can't even spelll my own name correctly ! )

Sorry about that ----

Bill Reilly
__________________
Bill Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Reilly View Post
Mike:

I sent you an incorrect web address re my AC pictures . It should have been:

picasaweb.google.com/billreillyeh

I left the 'y' out of reilly ! ( Can't even spelll my own name correctly ! )

Sorry about that ----

Bill Reilly
That is a nifty set up Bill. I am rethinking my approach. Since I will only use the A/C on rare occasions, I may put it on a drawer shelf and extend it out when I need it and avoid all of the drip pan, air intake duct work altogether.

There is a craigslist posting for a unit like yours in Flint Michigan. I think he is asking $3500.00 but I am sure he will take less if someone actually goes to look at it and makes an offer. I hope I don't get scolded for posting this here. I am not selling it, only sharing info on a similar unit.

1979 TRILLIUM JUBILEE FIBERGLASS CAMPER - LIKE SCAMP / BOLER / TRADES? - $3500 (BEST OFFER / TRADES / FLINT)

Date: 2011-05-08, 9:22PM EDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]

May take something in trade that I can use, "plus cash". Here is a rare 1979 Trillium Jubilee fiberglass camper. It is small and compact. It is pretty much all original with the acception of an extra wood cabinet built above the fridge. Has gas/electric fridge but needs repair, has gas furnace which I am going to try to get working this week. Has roof vent, front couch that turns into double bunks,rear dinette that turns into a bed,sink,stove, 110 to 12 volt convertor, 12 volt and 110 volt lighting and more. Pretty good tires, spare is shot, I plan on getting a better spare tire mounted for the buyer this week. Needs TLC. Grab this rare camper before its gone! MAKE AN OFFER AFTER YOU SEE IT. It could be yours! Please phone 810-210-3737. Thanks!

Location: BEST OFFER / TRADES / FLINT
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests


PostingID: 2369957932
__________________
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Member
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Two Trillium Jubilees and a Trillium 1300
Ontario
Posts: 53
Send a message via MSN to Bill Reilly
Trillium in Flint

Mike:

I saw that ad and was really tempted. The price seems right and the pictures that I have seen seem to show a pretty good unit.

I am really pleased with my Jubilee. Another time I might consider going after another one.

Bill Reilly
__________________
Bill Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
CindyL's Avatar
 
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Posts: 2,529
Registry
Big Mike:

We cut a hole in the back of our Burro, right above the couch platform, built a platform for the window air conditioner to balance on behind the Burro wall. The platform was supported by a bracket connected to the bumper.
We then cut apart a cooler. When the air conditioner was not in use, we used bungie cords to hold the cooler on, so it looked like a cooler attached to the back of the Burro. We drove with the cooler on too.

I can post pix if you want.

CindyL
__________________
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Big Mike:

We cut a hole in the back of our Burro, right above the couch platform, built a platform for the window air conditioner to balance on behind the Burro wall. The platform was supported by a bracket connected to the bumper.
We then cut apart a cooler. When the air conditioner was not in use, we used bungie cords to hold the cooler on, so it looked like a cooler attached to the back of the Burro. We drove with the cooler on too.

I can post pix if you want.

CindyL
Cindy

If it's not too much trouble, I would love to see some pictures. Goodness you guys are clever on this forum.
__________________
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
CindyL's Avatar
 
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Posts: 2,529
Registry
These are not necessarily in chronological order. Be aware that many people on this forum would have a cow about doing this too.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
air conditioner 1.jpg   air conditioner 2.jpg  

air conditioner 3.jpg   air conditioner 4.jpg  

__________________
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
CindyL's Avatar
 
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Posts: 2,529
Registry
Well, clearly they are not in chronological order. We painted the red cooler blue to match our decor.

Here are the rest. And oops about the sideways one. I can change it, but am leaving for supper in a few.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
air conditioner 5.jpg   air conditioner 6.jpg  

air conditioner 7.jpg  
__________________

__________________
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Captain (mold) need advice for wall covering and floor pls Elizabeth.G. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 05-19-2009 04:05 PM
Advice Installing Power / Electrical from Scratch RussP Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 19 04-10-2008 01:52 PM
What I found on the wall DonInChatt General Chat 18 08-21-2007 03:48 PM
advice for installing a shelf Candi Woods Modifications, Alterations and Updates 8 03-13-2007 12:42 AM
Advice Installing Power / Electrical from Scratch RussP General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.