Installing a microwave oven - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Scamp
Ontario
How does one attach a microwave oven to a shelf so it will stay in one spot. 2 methods I can think of is using straps over the top from side to side or replacing the screws that hold the rubber feet to the bottom of the oven with longer ones through the shelf. I have the microwave, just don't want it to go anywhere, went out last night to try to match the screws for longer ones but could not find anything, you would also have to be careful not to get to long of a screw (I understand electronics and electricity, I usually get the appliances friends and family blow up to fix). My mother in-law used suction cups on a counter in her van, but my shelf is plywood with mactac(sp) so I don't think it would hold. Still trying to decide if we really need it but have used it a few times, the price was right for it, free and since we still don't have the stovetop back in or propane run, this works ok for those rainy days. The kitchenette is the next project after the closet and cabinet doors and front bench is completed and and and, well, I got the curtains on the door last week, there is some progress

Old 06-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Shawn,
We don't attach ours to anything. We just put it on the floor while we're traveling & put it back up on the counter when we stop. That works for us!
Sandra

Old 06-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
How about using something designed to keep a television in it's place: TV Grips, they come in black or white. And since they're anchored using the 3M tape....seems to me it would work great.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #4

Ontario
Will have to look for those TV Grips, the Camping World site seems down but I found the site for them here

http://www.thumblockbyfsi.com/thumblockproduct.html

along with super grips which I might be more interested in if I can find them around here.

http://www.thumblockbyfsi.com/thumblockproduca.html

I wanted to replace the screws for the rubber feet but cannot find the same size of screw and would be concerned about them backing off. Right now the microwave sits in the pan for the stove which was taken apart during the teardown for sanding and painting due to housing a squarrel for a few years but never put it back together. At this point I am looking at a new stove due to look and trust. For the microwave, we want to put it in the closet and not have to worry about moving it about, when not in use it will be behind a door out of sight.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Shawn, I am in the process right now of putting the microwave in the bottom of the closet on my Scamp 13. I built a shelf that sits on the top of the wheel well and anchored it through the entry door side. Power is right there as we have the porch outlet. Then I'm building shelves for our clothes above the micro.

I left a lip of the fiberglass when I enlarged the door at the bottom which the front feet of the micro butt up against and put a wood strip across the back rubber feet and screwing that to the shelf. No movement whatsoever and it will look pretty good there as well when it gets trimmed. The new closet door will start above the microwave wood trim and go on up.

Don't have too much to photo yet, but I'll try and get some up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroCloset.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	8144
Attached Thumbnails
MicroCloset1.jpg  
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #6

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
How does one attach a microwave oven to a shelf so it will stay in one spot.

...replacing the screws that hold the rubber feet to the bottom of the oven with longer ones through the shelf.
I used both methods mentioned above.
I got the screws from this industrial hardware store. They have everything! I also used "Fender Washers" so the screw heads would not rip through the shelf.

My oven had the rubber feet only toward the front, so I used a "Thumb Lock" on one back corner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	8143
Old 06-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Just a word of caution to all, microwave's get hot...make certain the vents (usually along the top sides..and maybe along the bottom front) is kept clear for plenty of ventilation. Also those vents are what helps steam to escape the micro from the items being cooked and it's got to go somewhere. If you seal the microwave too tight, you'll end up with the steam turning to water running down the inside of your cabinets.

Chef hat off now.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
I was thinking about that same thing Donna, good point.
Looking at Home Depot for some kind of decorative vent cover we can use to put a vent out the side of the closet.
There is plenty of clearance around the oven, we just need to have an escape for any buildup.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Shawn & Greg,
Our Casita has a white, round, aluminum, louvered vent approx. 3 1/2" diam. on each side of the cabinet housing the microwave. They are each located toward the top rear of the cabinet microwave space.
I would guess they are available direct from Casita, if not locally. Probably inexpensive, also.
Drill or sabre-saw a hole, mount the vents and you'll be good-to-go!

Kurt & Ann K.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 AM   #10

Ontario
Ventilation is the reason I decided to inset the microwave with a door that will swing down and flat or up and hook or unclip and remove completely, still working on that aspect, when in use the door will be open and there will be plenty of room around the oven. Also don't plan on using it to make full meals as we use the coleman stove and BBQ mostly, but you never know until you have the option available on how much use it will get. Just need to get it to stay where I want it to stay.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #11

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
To attach our little Half Pint microwave inside our UHaul closet, I added a shelf then screwed two rubber casters to the shelf. The front feet of the microwave fit in the casters. Then I attached two screw-eyes to the shelf on each side of the microwave and run a bungee cord over the microwave from side to side. It is held down very firmly! I think the shelf would fall down before the microwave would come off. It has traveled well on our first two trips this year. No movement at all. I also allowed space around and above the microwave for ventilation purposes and always run it with the closet door open.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium
I went to Home Depot and got the largest Wire ties made. Like the ones police use when they run out of hand cuffs. Drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the shelf about the center on, both sides of the micro, then ran the tie through the shelf and around the micro. You can hook several together if needed. Cost about 2 bucks, takes about 2 miniutes. We have put several thousand miles on this and it still is holding.

good luck

Don
Old 06-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
We have a Warm 'n Toasty mounted in the closet area of our Boler on a shelf above an air conditioner and drawer. This particular unit has plastic feet about an inch tall that attach to the bottom with screws inset about 3/4 inch.

What I did is locate where the feet would optimly sit on the shelf, and place some screws from under the shelf to go into the cavity of the feet, while the unit was in place.

This has worked with no problems over three cross-country trips on a lot of bouncy roads, and only took a few minutes. Of course you'd have to have recessed feet on your microwave, but many of them do.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:55 AM   #14

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hey Shawn

Remember me? Think back 7 and a half years ago I just bought a 76 trillium and just checking out the site.

Steve

Tags
microwave