Installing a Scamp Door Hold Back - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Okay I might be getting too picky here, but I just got the Door Hold Back that I ordered from Scamp. They sent instructions but they seem a little vague and to be honest I've never seen a "hold Back" in real life.

No one happens to have a close up photo of their Hold Back in action do they?

The instructions seem to indicate that swing up latch part attaches to the trailer body while the receptacle part mounts on the door. They also include a little piece of rubber foam that I think goes under the swing up latch on the trailer body to keep it from rubbing? Last but not least they included a brass handle that goes on the inside of the door (I don't know why though? To help pull it shut?)

Does all of that sound right????

Here's a bonus question.. The instructions say that when drilling the holes for the rivets to "take care not to drill all the way thru the trailer" I assuming they mean don't drill all the way into the inside rat fur?

Getting sick of my questions yet? I know I am!

efawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I don't think we got ours from Scamp, so it may be a little different, but I'll attach a pic. It's not very close but maybe it will help.

I understand that some hold backs are straight & others have a bend. Ours didn't come with a handle for the inside but we had installed one already because it makes it so much easier to close the door.

You are correct that the latch attaches to the body of the camper & the holder goes on the door. The foam goes between the latch & the camper body.

Attached Thumbnails

Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
That was perfect! Thanks Sandra!
efawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Yep, the instructions Scamp sent were correct. As an FYI, mount the door hardware FIRST. Then holding the door open, and making certain the door isn't getting pinched by the belly band, mark where the "door hold out" will go. Also, know the parts are steel and will rust eventually. If you have spray wax (even Pledge is better than nothing), spray the parts liberably.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('ye ole bucket')

Views: 157
Size:  5.3 KB
Christine V is offline   Reply With Quote