Installing Awning Track - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
Trailer: Trillium 1976
I did not want to drill the roof of my Trillium 1976.
So I had use belts (straps).
It works perfectly. No holes! I got the belts at MEC.
Not expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05334.JPG   DSC05335_b.JPG  

Marc Barrière is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #16
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I read somewhere that there is a rail that you can use to make two tracks out of one. Does anyone know where they can be purchased?

CD and Joyce Smith - Lily, Violet, and Rose
1999 Casita 17' SD - "The Little Egg"
2007 Escalade - 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #17
Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
I suspect that there is no adhesive around that would both hold an awning down (lots o' weight there) and not do more damage to your gelcoat than drilling a few carefully prepared holes. There are more sorts of tapes, caulks and sealants than there are adhesives.
My opinion? Do what the manufacturers do... drill the holes and put on the track. And carefully place butyl tape or a good caulk/sealant in the process.
I don't know if this would work but 3M makes a tape called Very High Bond. Some of it, like the 3M 4920 VHB [ ] has a tensile strength of 160 lbs. I don't really know what this means but I do know that there was a gentleman on the Casita Forum that added width to his bed using this type tape (not necessarily the same model no.) to hold the L brackets for the extra wood boards to lay on.
Veda Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #18
Name: Shay
Trailer: 16' Casita (pending pick-up)
Drill, baby, drill!

I don't see a reason not to drill. If you prep the area before and after, it should be fine. People have been doing this for years in the RV and boat industry. It should hold up fine. In the event you want to plug up the holes later, you should be able to do that fairly easily with some fiberglass or epoxy.

I think having an awning rail on there firmly with rivets or bolts would eliminate the worry of it pulling out while towing and having your bag awing turn into a hazard on the road.

The straps idea seems cool, but a project to set up and take down.

Shaymus is offline   Reply With Quote