installing city water hookup.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Hi all I want to install a city water hook-up...for no better reason than I can. It looks fairly straight forward until I looked under my cabinet...
Currently on the outside of my trailer, I have a external threaded hose connector that I used as the drain for grey water. Clean water is hand pumped and a painstaking task...so I went and purchased a city water hookup that I planned on cutting out a hole and installing...here is the dilemma...under the counter there is limited space...to the left I have the furnace venting then about four inches away I have the electrical box and also a plug set up for my fridge. I could squeeze something between this space but I worry about a water leak if it were to be so close to the electrical.
The current drain tube for the grey water is down low below the electrical...so I had a thought
rework the drain tube and make that my hookup for fresh water then have a hose coming off with my grey water and have that come out a different spot. Does this sound reasonable? thought I would ask first and see so I don't have a lot of trial and error. the picture under the counter is from when I first got my scamp and wanted to show how filthy it was...ewww
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_comming_home_015.jpg  
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Sounds reasonable---- just make sure that the hoses will not have low spots in them- (so as not to freeze) and that the hoses are far enuff away from the furnace exhaust so they won't melt..... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
The 'city' water hookup can be installed almost anywhere on the same wall as the tap is going to be. The bits n pieces to do this don't take up that much room and elbow connections in the water line (be SURE you use potable water line ....usually has a white line or two in it) CAN be used to ensure closer fit in tight confines, but IMHO a one piece hose is NOT as apt to leak (for whatever reason) as a hose with one or more connections in it. .....counting the sleeps!!!!!!!!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	outlets__1_.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	15528

Left to right... 110 connection, city water connection and grey water from sink.
The city water connection is just a fitting attached to the trailer and a piece of potable hose to the tap of your choice on the counter. The grey water is a piece of garden hose, from the sink drain, to the other fitting on the side of the trailer. Use a little butle tape when you add the fitting to keep the rain out.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 77 Scamp
thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did install the city hookup today..nothing like working on the Scamp to make me feel all hardware toolish...it works no leaks and I am very happy...if I have to pay for hookups might at well be utilizing all that I am paying for!...CHEERS
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote