Installing Frig in Uhaul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
I am contemplating installing a two way frig in my u-haul 13"

All of the refrigerators I have seen require an inch or two more than the depth I have available in the cabinet under the stove.

I presume that the front can be spaced out to get more depth. Has anyone any comment to add? Perhaps someone who has done this.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
I have a Compact Jr, which also has very shallow cabinets.

I wanted to put in a 3-way refrigerator (it was built with an ice box) and had difficulty finding a fridge shallow enough for it. Compact Jrs that came with a fridge had a frame that stuck out into the aisleway nearly 2", and then the door stuck out another 1 1/2" or so -- something I really didn't want because it would make the aisle very narrow.

I finally found I had few choices:
1. Use a fridge from a VW Westfalia (very small, but shallow)
2. Spend more than the trailer cost for a new fridge
3. Keep looking until I found a used shallow 3-way.

I was fortunate to find a used Dometic RM2190, which is 21 3/4" high, 19 1/2" wide, and 19 3/4" deep.

After all that I decided to do something else entirely, so now the fridge is sitting in the garage looking for a new home.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
On our 16' UHaul, we put in a small dorm fridge (just AC power). I had to open the hole a bit bigger to fit it in and the case + door sticks out about 1.5 inches from the fiberglass. However, this isn't any more than our drawer handles stick out, so it hasn't been a problem. Our problem is that the door posts (top and bottom) sometimes bend open slightly during rough travel and the door will fall off! Now I bungie cord it shut while traveling. This keeps it pretty tight most of the time. Probably should just get a new fridge or stronger hinge posts.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul