Installing Front/Rear Windows on Boler (PHOTOS) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Here is a link to photos for installing new plexiglass front and rear windows with new gasket and lockstrip on a Boler.

I used Armourall as a lubricant.

I will add captions and more detailed instructions at a later date once I install the rear window.

The gasket and lockstrip came from Scamp. Be very specific about the amount you want to order and let them know it is for a Boler. My order was misinterpreted and they sent only enough to complete one window with about 3 extra feet. (I imagine this is the size of the Scamp Window) The remainder should arrive next week.

The Lockstrip Tool can be purchased from http://www.allglassparts.com/sections/contact-us

It is well worth the money. I previously re-installed my old plexiglass after a paint job and used screwdrivers to install the lockstrip .It took about a day for each window. With this tool and some Armourall for lubricant, it took about 15 minutes.

Today's project is to re-assemble and re-install the side windows which have been painted and have new plexiglass.

A note on painting Aluminum. I have etched the Aluminum to accept paint but am already starting to notice the paint flaking from the surface as I re-assemble the windows. I am not sure how it will stand up over time. A simpler option would be to simply polish the aluminum with steel wool.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76boler...7606121143034/
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Nice Job and Nice Pictures.....Thanks for sharing how to do it and completely understand it with your input
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I used a product called Never-Dull to polish the aluminium. It is simply a can full of wadding wool impregnated with cleaner/polish then you simply buff off the residue with a clean rag!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Here is a link to photos for installing new plexiglass front and rear windows with new gasket and lockstrip on a Boler.
Thanks Kevin,

Any chance you might post some of the pictures here for archival purposes?

The tool is interesting. How does one use it?

My lockstrip is on the outside, where yours is on the inside. I'm wondering how many have their lockstrips on the outside and how many on the inside? I've never noticed the difference before. Guess I'll have to start looking a little closer.

I also noticed a slight difference in profiles between the old and new seals. Do you think this will have any effect?

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Nice job. Thanks for posting this.

I am getting close to doing this job myself so your post is very useful, especially the info on the tool needed. To second Roy's question, how does that work exactly?

Also, any problem removing the old windows in one piece, without cracking them? (I'm thinking of polishing up one of the old windows and using it as a clear rock-guard on the front).

CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks Kevin,

Any chance you might post some of the pictures here for archival purposes?

The tool is interesting. How does one use it?

My lockstrip is on the outside, where yours is on the inside. I'm wondering how many have their lockstrips on the outside and how many on the inside? I've never noticed the difference before. Guess I'll have to start looking a little closer.

I also noticed a slight difference in profiles between the old and new seals. Do you think this will have any effect?

Roy
I am attempting to upload a video for instructions on using the lockstrip tool. If it works I will insert a link in my original post.

Most Bolers have the lockstrip on the outside. I like the cleaner look of having it on the inside. As well it makes it a bit more difficult for someone to pop out the windows if they want to steal something.

The profile of the new beading was also a concern for me. However I have been for a 400 km test run over all types of rough roads and the trailer has been through a few Calgary heavy downpours and there has been no leakage and the window seems to have settled in nicely.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Nice job. Thanks for posting this.

I am getting close to doing this job myself so your post is very useful, especially the info on the tool needed. To second Roy's question, how does that work exactly?

Also, any problem removing the old windows in one piece, without cracking them? (I'm thinking of polishing up one of the old windows and using it as a clear rock-guard on the front).
Clive

Just pull your old lockstrip out by hand and then press on a corner of the plexiglass with the palms of your hand. The corner of the window shoud pop out easily and then it is just a matter of working your way around the window.

I have had my windows out several times with no problems.

Check back to my original post for a new link. I am attempting to insert a video on using the lockstrip tool.

It seems to be taking forever.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Clive

Just pull your old lockstrip out by hand and then press on a corner of the plexiglass with the palms of your hand. The corner of the window shoud pop out easily and then it is just a matter of working your way around the window.

I have had my windows out several times with no problems.

Check back to my original post for a new link. I am attempting to insert a video on using the lockstrip tool.

It seems to be taking forever.

I have posted a Video on using the Lockstrip Tool under a new topic.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
(I'm thinking of polishing up one of the old windows and using it as a clear rock-guard on the front).
Quote:
I like the cleaner look of having it on the inside.

I like both ideas!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, windows