Installing new decals - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Installing new decals

If I get the energy up I'm going to clean my Campster, re-poli-glo it, and install the new decals (with decals I assume going on before Poli-glow.

SO here is my question- I have the poli cleaning solution, which I can use where the decals are (not sure I'll use it in the other spots where I just need new coats of poli.) If that doesn't take off the old decal remnants, what should I use?

Any hints on applying a large (18 x 6 inch) decal?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #2

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Pick an edge with finger nail, heat area with hair drier and peal slowly.
remove residual glue with Goo-b-gone.
There will be a difference in sheen (shadowing) where the old graphics were
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #3

British Columbia
You need, spray windex, masking tape, squeegee or credit card, paper towels.
To apply:
*place decal, with backing paper and transfer paper still on, where you want the decal.
*with masking tape, tape the top 1/2 inch edge of decal with one strip of tape to trailer. Smooth with squeegee or credit card. The decal is now "hinged" to trailer.
*lift bottom edge of entire decal until you are able to access the carrying paper but still maintain a taped edge. Peal carrying paper down, being sure decal does not make contact with trailer. Spray trailer with windex where decal will be applied while still holding decal hinged up. Allow decal to hinge down and smooth with credit card to remove bubbles. allow all to dry then remove transfer paper.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #4

Registry
Thanks for the detailed response.

So is the Windex still wet when the decal goes on? Or is that what the paper towels are for?
Old 06-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #5

British Columbia
Yes the windex is still wet when you apply the decal. Make sure the tape, that is used as a 'hinge' runs the entire top 1/2 inch border of decal. once bubbles are smoothed out lightly blot excess windex off with paper towel.
allow an hour for drying. then peal off transfer tape by slowly pulling as parallel to decal as is possible (so there is no outward tension).
Old 06-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Registry
Thanks! Hopefully I'll get to it over the next week.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #7

Registry
Okay- front decal came off cleanly. Back decal, not so much. See photo. Not sure what the deal is. The dark is where the decal is gone. White is gone. Some of the beige is old decal, mostly gone, relatively smooth surface, but not perfect. The question is- should I do more? This took a combination of eraser wheel and Goof Off. I could try sanding (this isn't as far as I can tell fiberglass; it is the lower door panel.) I'm afraid of going too far and getting the paint.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #8

Registry
Here's the front:
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have not seen a Trails West but most rear entrance trailer doors of this era are aluminum clad. You may have to clean up and repaint the panel or all the rear door panels to make it look right then apply your decal. I would try to find an epoxy appliance spray paint either almond or white.
Good Luck
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

Registry
I wondered if that would be the solution. White paint should be okay if I can't find almond. Then I can sand before painting. However, the issue isn't really the appearance as the old decal will fit right under the new- it's whether the new one will stick if the surface isn't 100% smooth.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #11

Registry
Can I apply the decal in the sun? I was actually about to start and went to mix up a soap spray bottle (no windex, so was using a few drops of dish soap in water) and our water went off. Local community water system and a survey put a stake through it about 1/2 mile up the line. Should be fixed soon but now it is about 72 and sunny.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
It was at least 90 and in the sun when I applied mine, and they were 9-10' long. No problems. Just work a section of it at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote