Insulated Box For Generator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Ventura 12 ft
Hello Everyone; Has anyone made a insulated box to go over a genset to reduce noise?
Guy Pallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Not me, but this has been discussed before. The problem is that building an enclosure which effectively insulates against noise without interfering with cooling, intake air supply, and exhaust, is not easy. By the time you're done, I would be very surprised if the result was as inexpensive, effective, or compact as just buying an enclosed generator (such as the very popular Honda EU2000i). If you're starting with an enclosed generator, then it would seem to me to be an even greater challenge to improve.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Even so, just having a roofless box around a generator will direct much of the noise skyward -- Worth a try with a few pieces of plywood leaning against the generator, presuming one already has a noisy generator.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The problem is that building an enclosure which effectively insulates against noise without interfering with cooling, intake air supply, and exhaust, is not easy.
If you have a hitch receiver on the back of your trailer, you could get a tag-along-generator enclosure.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Guy,
"Nuestra Casita" has had the frame extended 24" in the front. She has a diamond-plate box with a kind of foil backed "felt" insulation. The insulation is usually used on the underside of a car hood, or on the inside of car doors. It was fastened to all inside surfaces with 3M spray adhesive. No back or bottom on the box. There is a door on the side, to correspond with the exhaust location and the top is hinged to allow more ventilation when outside temps soar. The intent was to protect the extra quiet 3000 watt Yamaha from curious fingers and prying eyes. Out of sight, out of mind philosophy. The box has served it's purpose and also reduces noise. I suspect the reduction of noise would not be very effective with an open-frame generator. There is sufficient clearance between the generator and box to allow access to operate the key switch and choke and to plug in the electrical cord. The box was custom built and fits on the TT frame rails. The top's hinge is 3 1/2" forward from the back edge and located in a trough which is open on the ends. This not only provides drainage, but stiffness and prevents contact with the Casita belly-band. The top tilts backward enough to not require any support when open. The box is sturdy enough to support my 180#s, with a piece of plywood to spread the weight. The plywood might not actually be necessary but why take a chance?
The only downside I've encountered... the box must be removed in order to change the oil or service the battery for the generator.
We've used it for 3 years like this without any problems.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
If you have a hitch receiver on the back of your trailer, you could get a tag-along-generator enclosure.
It's an interesting idea, but everything about this entire product line makes me shudder. I can't imagine a better way to reduce the ability to control a trailer than to hook a mass on the back riding on a caster.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator