Insulating my uhaul ct13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #1

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Insulating my uhaul ct13

Hello,

We add a great summer in out ct13 and wish to used it again this winter around the ski slope.

As anyone could gibe us some tip on how to insulate as much possible in a non permanent way.

Thanks

Fred
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, I'd start with the floor. Solid bales of straw around the outside while parked. Sounds nutty, but keeping cold air from the bottom will make the floor warmer. I know the bottom of the U-Haul is enclosed, but still.....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
I have used reflecrix to insulate between most of the walls and ceiling on my VT. Even got it around the window in the door with fish wire. I will probably use some "great stuff" to get some of the areas that are inaccessible by taking out the nylon screw holders above the windows . You have to wiggle it side to side and push up at the same time and it will move into the voids. Then I use good aluminum tape to attach to the fiberglass. If your storage areas don't have liners you should be able to access most areas except above the windows. Reflecrix looks like shiny bubble wrap available in several widths at Lowes, Menards and I suspect other big box stores.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #4

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Frederic, Donna is right about the straw, it works. HA! Just have to look for a farmer to deliver it to you.
I camp in the winter also. Unlike most of the folks here I choose to install a good grade of commercial carpet on the floor instead of the pergo or vinyle. I made a template of the floor then laid it on the back of the carpet and cut with a utility knife. Placed it on the floor, DID NOT GLUE it down. I also insulated the floor first, with that RV fiber insulation. Having the floor warm is of utmost importance to me in cold weather. Then plug up all air leaks, like the holes where the plumbing and shore power cord go out. all unused vents, covered. Add a baffeling insulation to your ceiling vent fan area. All these little things help. But remember, you do not want to have it air tight if you are heating with gas. If heating with gas, get a carbon monoxide detector.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #5

Virginia
Just thought of another tip I use taken from backpacking. Put closed cell foam under your matress. You can get something similiar at a carpet store, used under carpets. All you need is a scrap piece.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #6

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
We have slept in 11 degree weather in December with a 1500 watt electric heater. Had a little frost under the bed but we were comfy suspect it was do to a build up of moisture from our breath over tiime. Cracked window opening would likely solve it. The refletrex also works As a sound barrier.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We did not add insulation to our Uhaul. We take our VT to Pine Ridge when we volunteer. We have stayed in 20 degree weather and have been fine with our electric heater and quilted covers.
One of the things we do while there is to help warm up the trailers of the Lakota Indians by skirting them. We use panels that are insulated and put them from the trailer bottoms to the ground. You could fabricate something like this that would be portable, i.e. create panels that can be taken apart for transport.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
We did not add insulation to our Uhaul. We take our VT to Pine Ridge when we volunteer. We have stayed in 20 degree weather and have been fine with our electric heater and quilted covers.
One of the things we do while there is to help warm up the trailers of the Lakota Indians by skirting them. We use panels that are insulated and put them from the trailer bottoms to the ground. You could fabricate something like this that would be portable, i.e. create panels that can be taken apart for transport.

CindyL
Cindy, I like this idea!
This weekend while camping, it rained so I went to a yardsale. Bought 20 some feet of insulated cloth, white and weatherproof on on side and velcro strip across the top paid $5.00 for it.
This is a perfect use for that cloth, I was thinking of using it on the awning to enclose it, but hey only $5.00. It had been used to back a large booth in a trade show. Love learning new tips!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #9

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Wow just got a chance to read everyone ideas and comments. Thanks to all for the info. Reflecrix look like a good idea and I also already have insulate the floor.

Will come back with the result as soon as I get a chance to sleep in winter condition.

Regards

Fred
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #10

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
I know i'm reviving an old thread ...

Did any of you insulated permanent their ct13?
The teardrop people do insulate their tailers...

I was looking at mine today, seem like it would be easy to accesss almost everywhere. With spray foam between the two fiberglass layers!?

Anyone tried that?
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Bernard, teardrops aren't double-hull trailers, it's fairly easy to insulate a single shell or build. There's been discussions about spray foam previously. The consensus is even the low volume expansion foam would distort the fiberglass. Worse yet, how would you get it out from between the hulls if needed.

Others will give you better ideas.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Donna: I agree, and that space is also needed for wiring mods. We have had moisture problems in our Uhaul in cold weather with a heater going. Using the thin aluminum faced insulation in the storage areas and where ever else it could be shoved into may help [remove storage area liners and bins to access outer shell].
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote