Insurance and the Egg - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Posts: 172
Insurance and the Egg

Just wondering how many people put a separate insurance policy on their trailer.? Does it come under my Auto policy when being towed? Does it need it's own liability and theft policy? This is for in Ontario Ca. Does it change if I were to go to the States? I tried the search function but I can't use it properly if my life depended on it. Sorry if this is repetitive.
__________________

__________________
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,304
Registry
The short answer is YES. Your car insurance only covers your trailer when being towed, any time your trailer in not connected to your vehicle you will need a separate policy to cover theft, vandalism, etc.

Also be aware most coverage requires you to check your trailer a minimum of every 30 days to maintain coverage, this means that if it is stored at a facility you need to go check on it.
__________________

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Posts: 172
Kind of figured it did. Guess I will have to call the agent and see how much they will ding me. Guess the more you want to play, the more you pay.
__________________
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 1,724
Registry
We just purchased a "Good Sam" insurance policy for our new Lil Snoozy, as they give full NEW replacement for the 1st 5 years, and give a $3000.00 contents coverage for our up grades, and a few other perks that I can't think of right now. I still am covered by my TV insurance for comprehensive.
Dave & Paula
__________________
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,304
Registry
Insurance companies are all different, if your Trillium is older they may only insure it for what you paid for it, some will let you set a value but if you have a claim you have to provide proof of that value. The final option is to get an appraisal done, this gives an insured value and proof before a claim, but there are usually additional premiums associated with that (ask me I know)

Newer trailers you can insure for replacement value plus contents.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Posts: 172
Thanks for the helpful advice. I wonder what the Trillium would be worth if appraised? I will only be cleaning it up this year.
Funny Ian I was just reading your Boler reno on my I pad. Came over to the Pc to watch a video and can't find it in the search. As I said I just can't use that feature. Now I can link into it from your signature. And...The appraisal on your Boler must be good.

David I can see needing replacement on a new trailer. They are a lot for purchase price. I had no idea the cost of a new Egg until last week.
__________________
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,304
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don ravinerat View Post
Thanks for the helpful advice. I wonder what the Trillium would be worth if appraised? I will only be cleaning it up this year.
Funny Ian I was just reading your Boler reno on my I pad. Came over to the Pc to watch a video and can't find it in the search. As I said I just can't use that feature. Now I can link into it from your signature. And...The appraisal on your Boler must be good.

David I can see needing replacement on a new trailer. They are a lot for purchase price. I had no idea the cost of a new Egg until last week.
The value of your Trillium depends more on condition than anything, Value without seeing it is probably in the $5000-$6500 range but again this is just going on recent sales.

Remember that appraisals cost money to get and you have to get them reappraised every 5 years. Mine is appraised at $24,000 plus $6,000 contents. I just hope i never have to make a claim.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 1,724
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
We just purchased a "Good Sam" insurance policy for our new Lil Snoozy, as they give full NEW replacement for the 1st 5 years, and give a $3000.00 contents coverage for our up grades, and a few other perks that I can't think of right now. I still am covered by my TV insurance for comprehensive.
Dave & Paula
I just looked at my policy, and in addition to the above, it has $100,000/300,000 Bodily Injury Liability (ie: a persons falls while coming out of your trailer)
Property Damage Liability $100,000 Medical Payments $5,000
Dave & Paula
__________________
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don ravinerat View Post
Just wondering how many people put a separate insurance policy on their trailer.? Does it come under my Auto policy when being towed? Does it need it's own liability and theft policy? This is for in Ontario Ca. Does it change if I were to go to the States? I tried the search function but I can't use it properly if my life depended on it. Sorry if this is repetitive.
Here in BC Don, its mandatory that the trailer have its own plates and a min of $200,000 liability insurance as well as underinsured motorist protection. My home owners insurance will not cover the trailer sen if its parked in the carport and the house was to burn down or if it was stolen - the trailer requires its own insurance policy for that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Posts: 172
I'll call this week and get it insured. It is just sitting in my driveway and don't want to get it stolen
__________________
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Posts: 172
I obtained insurance of my Trillium today. I was very reasonable compared to the other recreational toys I have insured. She is all ready to go.
__________________

__________________
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Egg Insurance - How to ensure we are covered? lespnd Money Matters 6 09-28-2012 02:27 PM
Manitoba insurance requires brakes and weight distrib hitch? SherLynn Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 2 08-17-2009 02:40 PM
Another Insurance Question Jaclyn W Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 5 07-17-2009 12:37 PM
Registering and Insurance in Canada ericmarlo Money Matters 4 09-13-2006 08:49 AM
Egg insurance L Schmidt General Chat 8 05-25-2006 11:49 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.