Insurance coverage for our fiberglass trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: Trillium
California
Smile Insurance coverage for our fiberglass trailers

Sure, I'd love to insure my little Trillium for $5 grand, which will be what she'd be worth to me after the first round of repairs are done. But it looks like it's nearly impossible to insure one of these trailers. Has anyone had any luck anywhere? I heard that Progressive says they will, but then they won't. I did get RV coverage on my Triple A card, so at least if I have a breakdown (or a meltdown) I can have her towed! Thanks for any info you may have.
Jane in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
There are several threads on trailer insurance. In general it can depend on you location but often the onus is on you to prove the value of your trailer and tht will require a certified appraisal.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...egg-66904.html
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check Good Sam club.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Talk to your insurance carrier about paying for "Stated Value" coverage. The catch is that, in the even of a loss, you will have to prove value, usually by comps, receipts and/or an appraisal prior to the incident. At the very least, insist on "Replacement Value Coverage", so they don't refer to some Blue Book.

I personally know a Toyota Motorhome owner that collected almost $28,000 for accident repairs to a very pristine 4x4 Sunrader FGRV. Even though it was the other drivers fault, with his stated value coverage of $50,000, his ins covered extensive repairs and took care of collecting from the other, uninsured, driver. And yes, he had to prove value.

FWIW: Although the accident and claims took place in California, the policy was written in Colorado. Other states ins rules may vary.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #5

Name: Marianne
Trailer: Scamp 13
Montana
insurance

I had no trouble insuring my 13' 2007 Scamp through my State Farm agent when I bought it two years ago, here in Montana.
Marianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
I had no trouble insuring my 13' 2007 Scamp through my State Farm agent when I bought it two years ago, here in Montana.
Oh, there's no trouble getting the policy. The trouble begins when a person has a claim, and book value is not a true representation of the actual value or cost of the egg.

Many owners have had to harvest selling prices of similar-age eggs from various websites (ebay, FGRV, etc.) in an attempt to prove the true value. It's not an easy task, and the insurance company is incentivized to pay as little as they can get away with.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The first thing insurance agents check for value is NADA... and that's NOT-A when it comes to all molded towables. It's more setup for selling prices for stickies. Pay attention to the For Sales, here and on Fiberglassrvs-4sale. Scoop current information on your trailer year and built type a couple of times a year. And be prepared to do battle with your insurance company.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #8

Name: LucyKay
Trailer: Casita
Texas
insurance

We had USAA with our 16LD before we sold it. $51 every 6 months tacked on to our auto policy. This covered tow for the trailer also, not just the autos.
KayD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #9

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
I insured our Trillium for $4500, at a premium of $24 a YEAR. Through State Farm. That includes collision. At that price, I felt I couldn't go wrong. Of course, we already had our Home & cars insured through them.
Larry Tenhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ins Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tenhage View Post
I insured our Trillium for $4500, at a premium of $24 a YEAR. Through State Farm. That includes collision. At that price, I felt I couldn't go wrong. Of course, we already had our Home & cars insured through them.
WOW, that seems t be well below the threshold of making any possible profit without a claim for the next 180 years.
Q: What is the deductible on the collision? A: $5000? LOLOLOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #11

Name: LucyKay
Trailer: Casita
Texas
insurance

Yes that would be comparable to our rate for a 2010. Good price.
KayD. is offline   Reply With Quote