Insurance for Scamp Trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #1

Name: Leon
Trailer: Scamp 13' 2017
Missouri
Insurance for Scamp Trailers

Who can recommend good insurance at a good price?
I have ordered a 13' Scamp for pickup in May at which time I will need insurance.
Leon H in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Talk to your auto insurance company. For our Casita and our current Campster, we just added them to the truck policy (Farmers). It was reasonable and good coverage.

For the Casita, we pre-arranged the coverage and provided the serial number when we took delivery in Rice.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon H in MO View Post
Who can recommend good insurance at a good price?
Well... that depends on where you live, your risk tolerance and your net worth, your claim history, your driving record, your other coverages, your age, your sex, your martial status, your credit rating, your desired level of coverage*, your expected amount of use (days every year), your desired optional coverages, your obligation to a lender (if any - is it financed?), and more...

So any response you get here to that question will be of very little help.

My advice is to talk to your trusted insurance agent. If you don't trust him or her to give you good advice, then find another agent.

And go to Progressive's web site and do an online quote for various options. If they don't offer coverage in your area, then lie and get quotes for somewhere else... that will at least give you a baseline for comparison.

* Note: The amount of coverage might be the largest variable. You can get the minimum required by the lienholder and government, or if no lienholder, its possible that no insurance at all is required beyond your auto liability policy. On the other extreme, if you want coverage for breakdowns, and liability in case someone gets injured in your camper, theft of contents, and any other eventuality, then it will cost more. In any event, if the camper is being financed, get the insurance they require to cover the loan at the very least.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
What I liked about the insurance we got through "Good Sam" when we purchased our Lil Snoozy new, was if the trailer was totaled or stollen (not found) within the first 5 years, we would get full replacement cost for another brand NEW Lil Snoozy.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Lots of companies offer "full replacement" policies. It's what I've had on my Escape for eight years.
All the advice you need is in Gordon2's post above.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Just to give you an idea what a full replacement policy cost us, we insure our new Escape 19 through Progressive for $36 per month. As Dave mentioned, if anything major happens within the first 5 years, we get a new trailer. Definitely worth it for the peace of mind.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We have collision and comprehensive from our auto company. Cost is about $130/year. Liability is part of the vehicle coverage. Basically if a tree falls on it, or runs into it, we get something called "actual cash value". An argument waiting to happen. As a rule, RV's depreciate quickly. So folks recommend keeping a folder of sales of similar trailers so if the time comes you can plead your case. I figure for $130/year something is better than nothing.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm with Raz. I bought the same type of coverage through my auto insurer. State Farm Mutual has provided good claims service and reasonable premiums over the years I have been with them. It's been a while since the last renewal, but I think it was around $115/year.

My investment in a used trailer was modest and, much as I enjoy my trailer, it is not an essential in my life, but a luxury. I choose to take my chances with the vagaries of "actual cash value" should the worst happen. The Scamp has appreciated in value since I bought it, so I am reasonably confident I will at least recoup my investment in the event of a loss, perhaps more, and the memories are free!

I certainly appreciate the different perspective of those who buy brand new trailers worth many times mine, and expect to use them almost as second homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
...if a tree falls on it, or runs into it...
Raz, be careful around those running trees!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #9

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
My cost in Massachusetts was a bit over $100, simply added to my car insurance. That covered a brand new Scamp 13' (with bells and whistles). Not expensive at all and great piece of mind.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Good Sam Club
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #11

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Insurance

May also want to consider Roadside Assistance. Good Sam has a plan. AAA does too, just make sure you upgrade to the plan that includes the trailer!
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Raz, be careful around those running trees!

Either the tree was running or the dog was driving. You choice
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #13

Name: John & Pam
Trailer: Scamp 13 std. Big bed
Texas
Good Sam replacement!!! Never thought we would need it, but our new replacement Scamp is being built now. Our 2012 std 13' was t-boned and rolled on its side this summer. I emailed pictures to insurance company...they totaled it without even sending an adjuster. Damaged personal property covered! Travel expense from UP of Michigan to our home covered! New Scamp, registration, license, and sales tax all covered! Also covered is delivery from Bakus, Mn to my home in the tip of Texas. Approximate cost $275 per year; sure glad we had it.
johnkinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #14

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
May also want to consider Roadside Assistance. Good Sam has a plan. AAA does too, just make sure you upgrade to the plan that includes the trailer!

AAA doesn't cover some highways, including the New York Thruway. Several states have private tow contractors on their interstate highways and a call to AAA will go unheeded. You would have to do further research to get their list. FYI.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp