interior height on scamp campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2003, 07:49 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
interior height on scamp campers

Posted by Mark Beadle, Member:

Interior height on scamp campers
I have a question for scamp owners out there.

I went to look at a 2000 13' scamp that was loaded with all the options an I was stun to find that I am hunched over inside this camper . . .(alot more than normal.)
I got my tape measure out and checked and it reads 5'10" high. The web site specs read it at 6'1". Measurement was made in the middle of camper and I measured this a couple of times.

Has this spec changed since 2000 on these trailers?

What options would reduce the height by three inches?

What is the actual height in a scamp fifth wheel model?(specs show 6'3")

I hope some of you could take a few minutes and measure your camper and let me know.

PS
I had an old wooded 1977 camper that had 6'3" interior height and it was manageable, I'm 6'5", however I have only seen popup campers that have any headroom.

Could some you give me suggestions on tall man campers.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:56 PM   #2

78 trillium 1300

Posted by Al V, Member:

78 trillium 1300
6-3 inside iam 6-5 and it is pretty eazy on the neck

-----------------------------
Al and Mac The Kat

Old 07-25-2003, 08:38 PM   #3

Posted by Paul E Henning, Member:

If I'm not mistaken, the 6'1" is outside dimension. In any case, if it is inside dimension, it is floor to fiberglass, not floor to ceiling carpet. If it has rooftop air, the 85# unit on the roof will cause a certain amount of sag from spec. Add the thickness of the insulation and carpet, and 5'10" is about right -- that's what I have in mine. At 6'5", you will crunch the ceiling. The Casita 17 has a higher ceiling by a few inches - can't recall exactly what. The BigFoots are higher, as well. But, Scamps aren't very tall - nature of the beast.

Osmo the Great (Osmo is great - Paul is just so-so)

Old 07-26-2003, 12:32 AM   #4

Actually I checked before posting and according to flyers from scamp which I received last week, it is 7'4" overall height and 6'1" for interior height. This unit does not have a rooftop AC, it had the side mount, and the camper was in very good shape. Sag is not an issue and the felt(?) insulation was firm and not sagging either.

I was thinking that maybe the floor was raised to accommodate plumbing because this has the front bathroom. Can anybody confirm that thought.

Old 07-26-2003, 12:40 AM   #5

Posted by Eric C, Member:

Most of the little rigs (13 footers) have short height for ceilings. My Play-Pac has in the center 5'9"... on the sides it drops to 5'6"... unfortunatly my problem isn't so much with height as it is with width... big guy... big dog... little trailer...

(image no longer available)
The Plastic Palace and The Pit Bull

Old 07-27-2003, 09:55 AM   #6

Posted by Thomas and Janifer, Moderator:

I think the Trilliums must be one of the taller ones. My Surfside (Trillium clone) is 5'9.5'' at the door, goes up 3'' in about 10'' then does a curve from there up some more. My son who is 6'2.5'' was quite comfortable. 75'' wide at the bed.
How about a Bigfoot? how tall are they inside?

(image no longer available)
Jana Journeycake
PullsButtercupwithYellaEscape
1975 Surfside TM-14 (ft)

Old 07-28-2003, 10:51 AM   #7

Minnesota inches must be shorter

Posted by Big Eddy, Member:

Minnesota inches must be shorter
A new 13' Scamp Deluxe (no A/C) has an interior height of 70", slightly less at the front because of the sloping ceiling. Someone measured a new Trillium Outback for me and reported that it was 74". The bed length in the Scamp is 77" at the widest point. A really tall person might want to look into the hard-surfaced, A-frame popups: the Chalet and Aliner--not as classy as an egg but lots of head room!

Old 07-28-2003, 12:17 PM   #8

Posted by Charles Watts, Member:

I'm 6'4" tall and have owned three little fiberglass eggs.

In the first two (both 16 footers), I had to stoop over ... but never really found this a problem, because 98 percent of the time, when I was inside the trailer, I was sitting down or lying down.

It was a trade-off, but I didn't want a higher trailer to pull thousands of miles down a road, to have a little more head room.

I can't stand straight up in a small plane or a sailboat cabin either.

In our current 17 footer, I don't have to stoop as much, but still can rest my head against the roof.

When I rest my head against the ceiling, it helps me stand up ... particularly after a long day of my wife dragging me on hikes.

Old 08-20-2003, 12:49 PM   #9

Still looking for a measurement on the 19' 5th wheel interior height.

This is a bump

Maybe somebody from the factory can tell how the measurements are made?

Old 08-20-2003, 03:36 PM   #10

Interior Height

Posted by Debbie Duke, Member:

Interior Height
Mark - I just stepped out to my 3 week old scamp 5th wheel (front bath model) and measured at the mid-point of the RV - basically even with the edge of the sink on the door side. It measured out at 6 ft even. The A/C unit drops down right next to this about 2-3 inches and you do have to duck around it. My husband is 6'1" and does fine inside. And to be honest with you unless you are moving from one area to another or cooking most of your time the height doesn't cause a problem because you will be sitting. Hope that helps you out.

Soybeans & Stetsons
Debbie & Glen
2003 Scamp 5W / 2003 Chevy Silverado

Old 08-21-2003, 01:50 AM   #11

Thanks for the information on the height Debbie.

I am right smack in the middle of Backus, MN (the factory) and a used 5th wheel in Andover, Kansas. It is about 600 miles either way. I was thinking of going to check one of these out and I am glad I didn't.

Needless to say I would have been very disappointed driving to either one and finding out that the interior height is off by three inches. I guess I know that can adapt to a camper that is shorter, but it just irritating that it is off that much. Either it is 6’3” or it is 6’0”. I guess a person is use to a little fudging on the numbers, you know, like 6'2 ¾” when the specs are at 6'3". But these guys skipped 6'2", blew right passed 6'1" and landed on 6'.

If bought a one of these and paid with a check, say $6300, and it only had $6000 in the account I am pretty sure that Scamp would come looking for their other $300. In fact, they would send Johnny Law looking for it.

Old 08-21-2003, 09:26 AM   #12

Posted by Kath Lynch, Member:

Our Bigfoot is 6'3" in the "standable" area-- except under the a/c, which is barely over 6'. It would be a good headknocker, but Doug just clears it.

Kath
1986 Bigfoot
(still trying to rig it with sails)
,_/) ,_/) ,_/) ,_/) ,_/)

Tags
scamp