Interior mounting of Optima batteries... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #15
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If I had an AGM battery at current prices (which are too high for the current you get!), it would NOT be on the tongue where it could easily be stolen... But I won't have one until they drop in price comparable to conventional flooded batteries.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #16
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
That's the beauty of a battery box, Pete. An expensive AGM battery looks just like a Walmart cheapie when it's sitting inside a plastic box. Still worried? Attach a cheap hotel door alarm to the lid of your battery box so the alarm sounds when the lid gets pulled off.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #17
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
There is a reason ALL mfrs place the battery(ies) on the trailer tongue. I would not try to second guess them and place it inside the trailer.
Just as a data point: I believe the 13' U-haul trailers (I have a friend with one) put their battery inside under the "U" part of the dinette/bed in the rear of the trailer, with a venting hose leading outside.

Sailboats often have batteries mounted in either the living space or the engine room, as there are limited options "outside" (i.e. above-decks) . Attention is paid to battery boxes, hold-downs, and venting.

I'm not necessarily advocating putting batteries inside as a preferable location, but I think it has been done. Given my experience with extra tongue weight on a trailer that does not even have a battery (yet), I will probably consider creating a sealed/vented locker under the dinette or elsewhere for one/two batteries.

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote