Interior walls - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
It actually is a form of a paint-on product. I have used it for cars where it will be covered by upholstery (inside doors, inside the roof, under the carpet) etc as well as inside the trunk. It is HIGHLY effective sound deadener and insulates against heat/cold as well - but lets face it - anything applied with a brush or roller is NOT going to result in huge (R20 sort of levels) amounts of heat insulation! It does, however, make a hotrod seem to be a very expensive car inside in terms of freedom from road noise and vibration and general quality of build as well as easing the load on heaters & A/C.

Several coats can be applied, each one increasing the insulation properties, and with about 3 coats, you should wind up with insulation values in the range of the ensolite used by many F/G trailer makers.

On edit: it seems that it is better heat insulation than I thought - a 3 coat application on a car floor is getting into the heat insulation range of the 1/2 inch felt insulation used as carpet underlay in many cars. This stuff is even better than I thought - and I've been using it for 5 years!

I developed it for my own use, but several of my friends asked me to make up batches for them as well. They have been very happy with it, too. I actually didn't think of doing it commercially, but maybe I should look into it. (I'd have to come up with a name for the stuff!)

I haven't had to make any up for a while, so I'd have to check into my costs of materials before I go any further, but I seem to remember that it came in at about $35.00- $40.00 per gallon (my costs) a year or so ago, vs $160.00 - $200.00 per gallon range for "the genuine article".

AND yes, it is paintable

Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #16

Name: Archie
Trailer: I think it's a boler. Pending overhaul.
Texas
Call it: "BCDave's Fiberglass Hide" I think you could do well with the product. There are a lot of folks on here looking for wall covering. I would be interested.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #17

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
Sounds to me it could be quit profittable!! lol
So could this be applied over insulation like the foam mats?
I am looking to insulate from heat and cold, plus I am wanting a smooth paintable surface.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
I do not think that there are many paint-apply products that could be applied over something like the foam rubber mats. When something presses against the mat, it will flex. If the mat flexes more than the paint, the mat will separate from the paint, causing the paint to crack and come loose, eventually coming right off.

This stuff is a paintable ceramic coating (hence its insulation qualities) and applies somewhat like a VERY thick paint. It can be sprayed, but you don not use a "normal" spray gun - more like an undercoating shutz gun.

I would see it more usable as being painted onto the fiberglass shell itself to provide the toughness of the rigid backing with a sound and thermal insulating barrier on the inside. Then paint over it, or wall paper over it, or......

It will not weigh much, will not be overly thick ("thick" takes up space!) and will be a lot less $$$$ than most anything else out there.

Until Donna mentioned Lizardskin earlier in this thread, I just never thought of it being useful for eggs - in my miniature mind it was compartmentalized as "car stuff".
Old 03-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
Registry
I saw the Lizardskin on another thread where someone had used it. That is where I got the idea. I still am scraping of the old vinyl, but i will share the info with my husband.
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
So has anyone used Flex Seal? We are now considering not insulating and just applying something paintable. He thought of the Flex Seal commercial of the boat with the screen door bottom. lol
I have emailed the company to see if it is safe for interior use of this type and if there is an off gas issue. It is sprayable and paintable. Could be a very good possibilty!!
Opinion?
By the way I love you guys and gals!! My husband laughs his butt of as I tell him about my post and replies each day....Paul said this.....Donna said that.....etc. Its awesome knowledge and makes us less apprehensive making decisions that we are need to make.
Thanks to all!!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Okay, Donna is going to say this... it would take cans and cans of Flex Seal to give you any kind of sound deadening.. if it even insulates? And I'd worry about outgassing inside the trailer. I wonder if it would even take paint without flaking from the trailer walls flexing? Should be interesting to hear what you find out.

I mention the sound... if you've never been in an uninsulated trailer in a heavy rain storm... well, imagine turning a bucket over your head. Not bad during the day, but might drive you nutz at night when you're trying to sleep. Besides, insulation helps with condensation problems and it CAN be a problem in these small molded trailers in Spring/Fall let alone winter.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #22

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbabyh View Post
So has anyone used Flex Seal? We are now considering not insulating and just applying something paintable. He thought of the Flex Seal commercial of the boat with the screen door bottom. lol
I have emailed the company to see if it is safe for interior use of this type and if there is an off gas issue. It is sprayable and paintable. Could be a very good possibilty!!
Opinion?
By the way I love you guys and gals!! My husband laughs his butt of as I tell him about my post and replies each day....Paul said this.....Donna said that.....etc. Its awesome knowledge and makes us less apprehensive making decisions that we are need to make.
Thanks to all!!
Flex Seal is identical to spray on bedliner, same thing and spray on bedliner is cheaper at Walmart, about $8 per can. That being said, you would be better off using the roll on stuff, it is also paintable. But I would use neither on the inside of an egg.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #23

Name: Paul
Trailer: Vixen Motor Coach
California
Registry
Hey Heather,
Paul says this ... I saw a consumer report on our local news too see if this Flex Seal really delivers. It works less than half the time. Our news guy was swimming after he put his screen door boat in the water! So you'd have to shallack the heck out of your play pac. Imagine how sore your finger would be after your 14th can rattle can of flex seal! not to mention, you guys would be higher than a kite. I'm not offering much here other than to say the flex seal is kind of gimmicky so proceed there with caution. But I am interested in what you do decide on. I finished bonding some wood blocks inside to portions of my now exposed roof (going to fiberglass them in today so I have something i can bolt the new column to, which will fix our roof and door sag once and for all). T do that, i had to cut through the thick insulation I mentioned, and also to rewire my running lights internally I cut it there too ... The paper mâché on the ceiling is not so pretty anymore so I plan to cover the whole shebang woth some kind of material as a headliner and am interested to see what you guys end up doing. Depending on who gets to this fun exciting detail first, (i consider this finishing work and boy do i have a long way to go before putting the wraps on my sieve, errr, i mean Play Pac!), lets keep in touch!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #24

Pennsylvania
Registry
Good morning all.....thanks for the reponse on the flexseal.....yet another options......bites the dust...lol
Spend yesterday pulling out all the old vinyl ugggghhhhh, so nasty, dirty and moldy under there, stink bugs, spiders and mold.............oh my! We also prepped the floor for new plywood.....and took out the sun roof, and removed all the old caulk and sealeant. Sunroof will go back in today using RTV gasket maker. And hopefully work on the floor.
I think at this point because I havent come up with an easier way that we will go with the foam puzzle piece aproach....and if I hate it I will do the paper mache like Paul spoke of. I am not crazy about the rainbow effect that has been seen in threads here, nore do I want gray or black. The wood grain is nice but I think it would be very busy and difficult to keep the grain lines straight. I searched and searched and found this website that has a variety of solid colors including white this makes me very happy, www.softtiles.com. They also have the larger 2x2 which I I think might be easier and after testing at Lowes are more flexable due to sixe than the 1x1. We figured it would take 150 - 1x1 ($1.45p) or 75 - 2x2 ($5.80p) at a cost of $450! I might find the colored cheaper but I just cant go with all that color. I want a clean and simply palette inside. I will continue to research. That being said.........contact options I have heard about are Lepache contact cement and liquid nalis......does anyone have a prefernce. Also im gonna research a product to put on the shell before I put up anything to kill any mold spores!!

So got to ask.....can fiberglass be attached to fiberglass? My preference for the interior would be the same as the outside! Does that even make sense?
Hope yall have a great day!!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #25

Pennsylvania
Registry
Oh the flooring is 3/4 inch tongue and grove plywood. Heavy yes, but since it not the whole floor we feel the weight will be ok. We are not reflooring under all benches or cabinets as they are all sound. We are going to do a floating flooring, applying a layer of Tyvek moisture barrier, and then the flooring. I picked two sheets with no marks (Lowes guy was not happy as I looked for the "perfect" sheet! I plan on using several layers in polyurathene, and this will be our finished flooring as well. The cabinets and benchs I am still planning on using kilz and painting them.
We are planning on having the exterior professionally rhino coated as well.

I do see the light at the end of the long tunnel.................are we there yet??
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #26

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Check out reply #8 on this post.
Eddie
Insulation Replacement Options
Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #27

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1984 FiberStream
Pennsylvania
Registry
BC Dave,
I'd love to purchase this product- it's exactly what I wanted for sound barrier, and insulation upgrade to my 84 Fiberstream. My trillium had ensolite, sooooo sound proof! That's the one negative I don't like about my fiberstream. Can I purchase this through you?
Cyndi
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #28

Pennsylvania
Registry
Hi Eddie,
Thanks for replying. I saw this thread and have considered that option. Paul, the new owner of that PP, has stated that the spray insulation has begun to give and is saggin. Can see his comments in this thread. Insulation is obvious the major factor here. So just hoping to make the best choice. From the hundred of thread it seems one of the two I mentioned are the better option.

Tags
play–pac