Interior walls - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #57

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
Interior

Ok all....drum roll please!!! lol Introducing our now beloved PP. "DoodleBugOut" After alot of blood, sweat, and tears.....she is ready to make her debut this weekend...... We still have some little things to take care of, but we figure a weekend in her will lead to some unthought of necessities. So here ya go........
Attached Thumbnails
egg1.jpg   egg2.jpg  

egg3.jpg   egg4.jpg  

egg5.jpg   egg6.jpg  

egg7.jpg  

Old 08-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #58

Pennsylvania
Registry
Here are pics of the walls before and after withtwo coats of Kilz!

And of the cabinet (paneling) in the same process!
Attached Thumbnails
egg12.jpg   egg10.jpg  

egg11.jpg   egg9.jpg  

egg8.jpg  

Old 08-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #59

Name: Paul
Trailer: Vixen Motor Coach
California
Registry
Wow - she has come a LONG way from those photos with the ensolite hanging down from the ceiling and the rotten floor all chipped up! that is BRIGHT! interestingly enough our original table top is the exact same color - it really livens up the place.
i was thinking of doing the exact same thing with our interior regarding the killz. does it cover up the fiberglass pattern at all and make it any smoother?
anyway, congrats on a major effort - it looks like you guys really put a lot of work into it and now all you have to do is get out there and enjoy it. you are right ... its the best way to not only learn what you need to add but also i have learned the opposite - what i DONT need for the next trip. too often i pick up all kinds of junk thinking just because its small or "hey this would be perfect for the Play Pac" and not really thinking "yeah, but does serve a purpose?" now i have a growing bin of brand new stuff in my garage that i need to eBay ... but it cuts down on the clutter.
anyway, congrats again - i look forward to hearing your first trip report and seeing photos of DoodleBugOut in all of her camping glory!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #60

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks PAul!! It really isnt as bright as it looks in the pics! But it does make the small space seem bigger! Couldnt go to girlie!! so yellow and grey with black and white bedding.
I put two coats of kilz, which i found i could only do with a brush, because of the rough texture. After the 2 coats the walls still felt sticky from the old ensolite. I was worried but decided to go ahead and paint and hope the extra layers covered it. I put on the first coat of interior waterbased paint with ceramic additive in it and once it dried the stickiness was gone! Yeah! I applied a second coat for the additional insulating factor of the additive. The walls are no longer rought to the touch although it is still textured looking. But you can no longer see the fiberglass lines, so to speak. We are very pleased with the outcome.
Still need to do something with the cabinets under the sink. For now I have two small totes with kitchen stuff and Im just gonna hang a curtain with a tension rod to hide it. lol
Still have the column to do to push the ceiling and door up as well.....but that will be after this first trip.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #61

Name: Paul
Trailer: Play Pac Hitch Hut
Tennessee
GREAT to see a PP brought back from a poor condition to one like yours.
A tremendous effort with good results. Gives those of us with similar PPs and in poor condition hope. Thank you.
Paul w
Old 08-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #62

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks Paul, it's been fun. Our remodel is not as extensive as some you will see in this forum. We just wanted to make in functional and safe, on a budget. We feel we have achieved that goal. The forum helped alot in where to get started and addressing problems we had no idea how to address. Still have many thing to work on but all in all, she is complete!!
~DoodleBugOut
Old 08-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #63

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Make tons of memories and be sure to post camping pictures with big ole grins on your faces
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #64

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thats the plan Donna.....and Ill try not to forget the grinning pics!!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #65

Name: Archie
Trailer: I think it's a boler. Pending overhaul.
Texas
Can you tell if the ceramic additive is making a difference in the temp. of the interior? Your hard work really paid off and now enjoy!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #66

Pennsylvania
Registry
Archie, prior to painting this summer it was typically 20 degrees warmer inside than outside temp. This is with it closed up. Now it is about 10 -15 degrees cooler inside than the outside temp, again still closed up. Pretty good I think, but that is the only comparison I have, as I didnt gauge it last winter. Guess we'll see how well she stays heated this winter. I have extra paint mix and will not hesitate to add more layers....LOL!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #67

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
That sounds like a pretty good result on the insulation for a paint additive!

What was the ceramic additive and where did you get it? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #68

Pennsylvania
Registry
CliveAlive, there is a link in my post on the third page of this message. On my phone and it won't let me copy and past. I bought enough for 2 gala of paint. I put two gals of paint in a 5 gal bucket and then gentle stir in the additive. Can't use a spray gun with the additive... I brushed it on for a thicker coating. I have half left over. So it went along way. Hope that helps.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #69

Name: Archie
Trailer: I think it's a boler. Pending overhaul.
Texas
Not bad at all. Any condensation on ceiling?
Thanks very much for the info.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #70

Pennsylvania
Registry
@CliveAlive the company and link are: HY-TECH Insulating paint and insulating house paint additive DIY insulation solutions.

@Archie-so im new at this, so no laughing what would cause condensation on the ceiling?

Tags
play–pac